Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proactive Rear Subrame Bolt Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
06cls
so i did a 1/8" x2" washer between bushing and frame, as well as SS plate on top of frame followed by 2" washer , 1.5" washer, locking washer and then double nutted with lock tite. is the geometry of the suspension going to be off on due to the 18" washer on the RR ?

Going to do the other side eventually, unfortunately i have a different problem i need to address first, with a low speed wobble in the steering wheel, and vibration at highway speeds,vibration is visible in the passenger seat/entire car .

Just replaced tires, and road force balanced, new rotors pads, new trans and engine mounts, all front suspension components have around 35k on them, and seem solid. idk if this rear failure had any thing to do with it , or if i have a bent spindle up front?
Old 10-15-2019, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 ///AMG, C200 CDI
I have a question for everyone that did this repair. Have a C32 with a freaking ripped mount on the passenger side. Is there a way to drill an access hole through the side of the mount instead of the front which means i have to drill in the plastic spare tire well too (which i'm trying to avoid)? Thanks in advance for the replies and really helpful threads everyone!

Last edited by APowerX; 10-16-2019 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by APowerX
I have a question for everyone that did this repair. Have a C32 with a freaking ripped mount on the passenger side. Is there a way to drill an access hole through the side of the mount instead of the front which means i have to drill in the plastic wheel well too (which i'm trying to avoid)? Thanks in advance for the replies and really helpful threads everyone!
I'm not familure with the C32, but this IS done by cutting in a side access (rear wheel well facing in to center of the car) to the subframe bolt. Not sure what you saw making you think you are cutting in from the front of something.

https://stumptownbenz.com/e55-subframe-bolt-replacement/
The following users liked this post:
APowerX (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 05:22 PM

C32 ///AMG, C200 CDI
Wow thanks for the quick reply. I saw that blog post too but was wondering if it was different for the w203 chassis. Also saw someone on Youtube which solved the same issue by cutting a hole in the spare tire well and drilling on the "rear" side of the mount. I've attached a pic of what i mean. Really hope i don't have to resort to this.

Last edited by APowerX; 10-16-2019 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Sorry after looking back at the walk through it does kind of make it appear that the hole cut is rearward facing, if you haven't looked at the E55 bushings in person I can see how it appears that way. But I don't think there is any way possible to get to it from the front or back. That trunk deal might work. Joe has a C55 I think? He may have some helpful info for you if the models are similar enough.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:16 PM

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts
N/A
Disregard
Old 10-16-2019, 04:29 AM

C32 ///AMG, C200 CDI
Originally Posted by drothgeb
Sorry after looking back at the walk through it does kind of make it appear that the hole cut is rearward facing, if you haven't looked at the E55 bushings in person I can see how it appears that way. But I don't think there is any way possible to get to it from the front or back. That trunk deal might work. Joe has a C55 I think? He may have some helpful info for you if the models are similar enough.
Yeah i was confused too in when i saw the pictures. If i can drill an access hole from the side like in the walktrough that would be ideal for me.