W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative Intake? Worth it for project?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 c63 AMG
Alternative Intake? Worth it for project?

Hey Guys,

So as winter approaches and i garage the beast for a good portion of the snowy months, Im planning what ill do for a project.

Ive seen various threads on intakes etc. Is doing an intake, such as one I saw from Fabtech, worthwhile for our cars, which seem to have good intakes to begin with.(save the restricted drivers tube)

I only have 3 mods, eurocharged crank and tune and a johnson pump.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:37 AM

2011 c63 AMG
thoughts guys??
Old 10-28-2014, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fergsc32
thoughts guys??
If you've been around here since 2009, you should know better than to look at products from FabTech.....

Skip the Fabtech parts and just flush your money directly down the toilet. The weight savings of a lighter wallet may actually make you car feel faster.

-G
Old 10-28-2014, 10:50 AM

2011 c63 AMG
I joined in 2009 after getting a c32 and promptly sold it due to a massive medical issue....and now am just back since a few months ago...so no.. never heard of fabtech until last night ... In a google search i camee across them and needswings etc etc. and then on this forum Ive seen carcino and such so it prompted my question on the realities(or not) of doing an intake.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Well then..... cliffnotes for you are:

FabTech sucks.

Lousy products, lousy service. Sometimes no parts arrive, even after payment is made.

RUN RUN RUN...!!!!

-G
Old 10-29-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GregMB
Well then..... cliffnotes for you are:

FabTech sucks.

Lousy products, lousy service. Sometimes no parts arrive, even after payment is made.

RUN RUN RUN...!!!!

-G
Lol

OP, there has been data to show that the gains from 3" aftermarket intakes were negligible and certainly not worth the coin. If you're looking at air inlet mods, I suggest going with a bigger throttle body. The 80mm (as far as I know) has had no negative installs. This is a bolt on affair when using an 80mm supercharger inlet (07 SL55). The 82mm yields a bit more power but there have been random cars who get hiccups that sometimes cannot be fixed in the tune. The 82mm requires a modified inlet with a new flange welded on.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by fergsc32
Hey Guys,

So as winter approaches and i garage the beast for a good portion of the snowy months, Im planning what ill do for a project.

Ive seen various threads on intakes etc. Is doing an intake, such as one I saw from Fabtech, worthwhile for our cars, which seem to have good intakes to begin with.(save the restricted drivers tube)

I only have 3 mods, eurocharged crank and tune and a johnson pump.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Once you reach about 550 plus RWHP , a custom intake will help but not with stock throttle body and low boost. On my engine that made over 600 rwhp, the intake is worth about 25 plus hp over the stock for example.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd