Sponsored by:

Stickys need changing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Exclamation Stickys need changing

Okay I don't want to ruffle any feathers here but some of these stickys and the way they are presented need some serious overhauling.

The original "DIY Thread- Read Inside!! Great Info!!" started out excellent with all DIY's presented as an easy to read list but then goes downhill quickly as single posts present single DIY's and some of them don't even make it obvious what the hell they are! As an example what does this following post refer to? Who knows? Has anyone even clicked on it - no I didn't think so.

Originally Posted by Vic55
Another excellent DIY post- from our esteemed and well educated member Marcus Frost:

https://mbworld.org/forums/3307806-post1.html
There is a lot of excellent DIY information in this thread that I bet isn't being accessed anywhere near what it should be because it's too damn difficult to find anything specific. And then right at the end of the thread we have this post tacked on:

Originally Posted by Vic55
A very nice compiliation of all stickies from MAN55LE:

Sticky: DIY a Thread addition
"A very nice compiliation of all stickies from MAN55LE" Is that what it is? No it is an additional list of DIY's. That for some reason has been included as a sub-list - a mere link to a separate thread that hasn't been made a sticky although the first (somewhat messy) list of DIY's is a sticky? It just doesn't make sense. If it is left as is I bet in 6 months time there would practically no-one accessing this hidden "sub-list" of useful and pertinent knowledge.

And then right at the top of this list is a post that includes invaluable information for all E55 enthusiasts that 100% should be a sticky itself. I know I'm the op but really that is irrelevant - it contains information that every E55 owner should have access to. But no - what chance does it have of being read or referred to when it is tacked onto some "sub-list" that is ultimately going to be accessed rarely itself (being presented as it is). Are mods afraid that supplying a list of the best resources will entice people away from the forum where the information may otherwise be eventually obtained? If so that is simply an erroneous viewpoint - information repositories are no substitute for a community of enthusiasts; exchanging ideas, offering advice and opinions, not just seeking information but discussing all aspects and sharing a passion. And if it is information you are seeking shouldn't it be easily accessible through the community?

And while these sticky shenanigans are going on we have another sticky that has been there for 2 years and in that time has garnered one single reply - but that's not the worst of it - it refers to a knowledge repository that doesn't even exist! Sure there is some embarrassing looking shell for a Wiki but really - 2 years with no updates! Get rid of it and provide a sticky that points to some actual useful information.

A successful shop must present their products enticingly; it's all about the merchandising. You don't want dead stock taking up a prime location and ya gotta give people what they want - what they will come back for - and a hassle free shopping experience will provide that. Really it's no different providing a service via the internet.

Well that's it, rant over. I probably haven't done myself any favors with moderators but to make omelettes ya gotta crack some eggs. Really I just want a better forum for all of us. I hope my comments are taken as such and again they are not directed at anyone rather they are for the betterment of our community.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
There has to be someone to manage/edit/post/revise all of those entries. Honestly, if I need some knowledge on cars I SEARCH THE FORUMS as 100% of the time there's relevant info from more than 1-2 people.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Those posts were put together by members and then stickied by the moderators. That's why it is such a jumble of information. It's not like some outline was put forth and adhered to.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by HeissRod
Those posts were put together by members and then stickied by the moderators. That's why it is such a jumble of information. It's not like some outline was put forth and adhered to.
Maybe I didn't make the solution clear but it is pretty simple and I would have thought obvious. The DIY thread contains 20 posts with just 3 people posting these DIY's. The op has set the standard with a large compilation of DIY's showing DIY followed by Name with the link below as shown here:

DIY Brake Change by: BrianS
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/199010-diy-rear-brake-change.html

This consistently formatted list reads easy on the eye with information easily accessible. If the other 2 contributors to this thread combined their posts in the same logical format then there would be only 3 posts containing DIY's and the entire thread would be accessed and used more frequently. It's all in the presentation. Even subtle changes in marketing can have dramatic differences in user response and these simple changes will increase the effectiveness hundreds of percent. Guaranteed!

In addition to this the most recent compilation of DIY's from MAN55LE should be formatted the same and added as an additional post on the very same thread with credit going to MAN55LE for taking the time to compile. Then with 4 fantastic lists of DIY's included the thread will indeed be a force to be reckoned with.

The only things remaining to be done are to remove that embarrassing Wiki sticky and possibly replace it with a new sticky which would be the first link in MAN55LE's post (as he has suggested) which contains all of the best online resources for the W211 E55 AMG.

This is the best Mercedes forum on the internet and MBWorld didn't get that way by resting on it's laurels. Let's make these stickys count: all the stuff and none of the fluff!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by TheTherapist
Maybe I didn't make the solution clear but it is pretty simple and I would have thought obvious. The DIY thread contains 20 posts with just 3 people posting these DIY's. The op has set the standard with a large compilation of DIY's showing DIY followed by Name with the link below as shown here:

DIY Brake Change by: BrianS
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199010

This consistently formatted list reads easy on the eye with information easily accessible. If the other 2 contributors to this thread combined their posts in the same logical format then there would be only 3 posts containing DIY's and the entire thread would be accessed and used more frequently. It's all in the presentation. Even subtle changes in marketing can have dramatic differences in user response and these simple changes will increase the effectiveness hundreds of percent. Guaranteed!

In addition to this the most recent compilation of DIY's from MAN55LE should be formatted the same and added as an additional post on the very same thread with credit going to MAN55LE for taking the time to compile. Then with 4 fantastic lists of DIY's included the thread will indeed be a force to be reckoned with.

The only things remaining to be done are to remove that embarrassing Wiki sticky and possibly replace it with a new sticky which would be the first link in MAN55LE's post (as he has suggested) which contains all of the best online resources for the W211 E55 AMG.

This is the best Mercedes forum on the internet and MBWorld didn't get that way by resting on it's laurels. Let's make these stickys count: all the stuff and none of the fluff!
Standardizing something with 100k members is not that easy to do, and I definitely understand where you're coming from.

Last edited by biggking; 11-04-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by biggking
There has to be someone to manage/edit/post/revise all of those entries. Honestly, if I need some knowledge on cars I SEARCH THE FORUMS as 100% of the time there's relevant info from more than 1-2 people.
You are entirely correct and I search the forums as you do. But what I am saying is if the DIY's were presented in a more consistent easy to read format then we would both probably already know what information was included there and know if we needed to search elsewhere or not. As it is we both probably search for information that is included in the DIY's without realizing. Sorta negates the benefit of the sticky in the first place.

The way the additional DIY's have been added today I don't see anyone accessing them via the sticky - basically a waste of time including them there; especially with all the work MAN55LE has done in compiling them. Also with the random link to The Best Resources at the top this relevant post will be also forgotten about and never accessed which again would be a shame.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
If you think about it, this should really be a sticky.