W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weistec crank pulley and clutched UPD SC pulley shredding belts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by Tommyboy928
NO, shredded 2 belts fast, fitted in belt wrap position, last one on Dyno, before gave up that. System sit there,, but seems the arm is good for support, But with normal setup ,very tight belts , trown them off 3 times on heavy load. seems cant have to tight belt either . now been ok for some months. is still traction problem second gear ,even with Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires. Probaly will even be worse traction, when killer Chiller system is hooked up to the aircon system.. So my advice ,dont go to big on crank pulley, not to tight belt.
Thanks mate, good to know. Will see how this goes. Traction issues on sport cup 2 tyres, nice man!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLS55 IWC
i appreciate the revival on this topic. I've recently had the 180mm mod crank pulley installed (professionally) on my CLS55 and the setup started throwing and shredding belts immediately. Been back to shop twice and to Mercedes twice. still no resolve. spoke with weistec techs several times... still no concrete answers BUT the common denominator is that this ONLY HAPPENS WITH WEISTEC! Talked to tons of other larger pulley owners with ZERO issues. I too believed that by buying the "best" and more expensive pulley, I'd get the best result. Not the case. Belt wrap won't help. New tensioners won't help. I mounted a go-pro and flashlight to attempt to see whats happening when I launch and turns out my system is camera shy and couldn't get the belt to throw after about 12 launches over the course of 3 days. I am now seeing frayed belt sides and belt dust everywhere which makes me think its a matter of time before...SNAP! Caught the belt halfway off a couple times too... I now drive with tools in my car. what a shame. shouldn't be this way. I truly believe Kleeman or ASP would be the better option here or leave stock and switch to smaller SC pulley for same effect in gains.

Sorry for ranting.. this is my first post on ANY forum ever but I am pretty desperate to resolve.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Here’s my experience. I am running the Weistec s/c and for a while was also running a 170 mm Weistec crank pulley. At some point, belt shedding became an issue. The problem became progressively worse until eventually, the belt would shred within the first 100 km of driving. Tried a lot of things without success. At some point we switched to a 150mm outer ring. The result was the same.

I decided to replace the Weistec crank pulley with a brand new OEM unit. The result was exactly the same. The belt would shred within the first 100km of driving and usually when coming off the gas after a WOT run.

I then noticed that the inner belt was fraying and concluded that the two belts were colliding. As a test, I installed a 6 rib s/c belt and positioned it as far away from the inner belt as possible. That was probably about two years ago and I’ve had no issues since. While I have not diagnosed and/or addressed the cause of the problem, I’m no longer shredding belts and if using a 6 rib belt is resulting in a loss of boost, surprisingly this is not obvious from my data logs.

It it seems clear that in my case, the problem lay not with the Weistec pulley but elsewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by ajm55:
Tommyboy928 (03-22-2018), vibratto (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
Gave up the belt wrap ting

Originally Posted by vibratto
i appreciate the revival on this topic. I've recently had the 180mm mod crank pulley installed (professionally) on my CLS55 and the setup started throwing and shredding belts immediately. Been back to shop twice and to Mercedes twice. still no resolve. spoke with weistec techs several times... still no concrete answers BUT the common denominator is that this ONLY HAPPENS WITH WEISTEC! Talked to tons of other larger pulley owners with ZERO issues. I too believed that by buying the "best" and more expensive pulley, I'd get the best result. Not the case. Belt wrap won't help. New tensioners won't help. I mounted a go-pro and flashlight to attempt to see whats happening when I launch and turns out my system is camera shy and couldn't get the belt to throw after about 12 launches over the course of 3 days. I am now seeing frayed belt sides and belt dust everywhere which makes me think its a matter of time before...SNAP! Caught the belt halfway off a couple times too... I now drive with tools in my car. what a shame. shouldn't be this way. I truly believe Kleeman or ASP would be the better option here or leave stock and switch to smaller SC pulley for same effect in gains.

Sorry for ranting.. this is my first post on ANY forum ever but I am pretty desperate to resolve.
i have the 180 mm Weistec , and gave up totaly on this wrap kit, now only using belt wrap kit as support for the double pulley. Still trowing off the belt sometimes if have full rpm and change gears ,, seems a little looser tight belt help the case. SO who has good pulley crank 180 mm another brand for good price ?? Waisted 1200 dollars on Weistec one
The following users liked this post:
vibratto (03-22-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG White
I have been shredding SC belts as well. Serpentine has been fine so far and have had no issues there. Less than 2000 miles ago, the full suite of UPD pulleys were installed including their BWK, all available idlers and a 77mm SC pulley. Accompanied with the pulleys install was wrapped Kleeman headers, K&N filters, new plugs/wires, PLM Heat exchanger, and a eurocharged tune. Everything was bone stock before and never had any belt issues whatsoever in stock form. Since UPD pulleys were installed, I can only get a couple hundred miles before SC belt shreds into spaghetti. Tons of belt dust gathers on the pulleys and engine bay before it shreds. The last belt was a stock length belt and we installed it and bypassed the BWK to eliminate that fro the equation. It hasn’t shredded yet but will soon as there is tons of belt dust gathering again and is only a matter of time. I believe the pulleys are all installed correctly and, other than the crank pulley, all pulleys have been checked and double checked and triple checked for burrs or imperfections. Nothing. As soon as a belt shreds, and before this last one shreds, I’ve cleaned up all the dust off of pulleys and elsewhere with brake cleaner ensuring the grooves of each pulley is clean and clear. I’m about to pull the belly pan and take a wire brush, brake cleaner, and scotchbrite to the crank pulley while it’s running to ensure that is not an issue. I’m lost as to why this is happening and the only thing that’s changed that could cause the belt issues is the “upgraded” UPD pulleys. I’ve emailed UPD and they have no advice or counsel. Shardul said maybe bad crank pulley but how could it be perfectly fine with the stock pulleys, then the UPD ones are installed and it all of a sudden the untouched stock crank pulley is suspect? I don’t think that’s the issue here. I’ve started my own thread on this issue, probably wrongly named the thread as New Faulty UPD S/C pulley destroyed. I’m not sure after research and troubleshooting that the S/C pulley or any of the other UPD pulleys are faulty, but I still have no explanation or solid working theory.
I hope that everyone that’s posted on this thread that has had experience with belts shredding will chime in here and state what the problem ended up being and how you corrected the issue. I’m lost and grasping for a solution as this pursuit of a diagnosis is maddening. Thanks all for your time.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
Originally Posted by vibratto

hi, even with no use of beltwrap kit the belts going , so just forget about the Belt wrap kit , Weistec 180 mm , they just excuse themselfs and talk rubbish , i mounted this setup in may 2015, now use normal setup with little more slack on the belt, than what they shipped with, and somehow works , i use the beltwrap only as support beam to the double idler. To solve your problem, maybe put 170 ring ,and not to tight belt .
Still expect to change belts before 7000 miles
Old 10-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Mercedes CLS55 IWC
Originally Posted by WannaBeeAMG
I have been shredding SC belts as well. Serpentine has been fine so far and have had no issues there. Less than 2000 miles ago, the full suite of UPD pulleys were installed including their BWK, all available idlers and a 77mm SC pulley. Accompanied with the pulleys install was wrapped Kleeman headers, K&N filters, new plugs/wires, PLM Heat exchanger, and a eurocharged tune. Everything was bone stock before and never had any belt issues whatsoever in stock form. Since UPD pulleys were installed, I can only get a couple hundred miles before SC belt shreds into spaghetti. Tons of belt dust gathers on the pulleys and engine bay before it shreds. The last belt was a stock length belt and we installed it and bypassed the BWK to eliminate that fro the equation. It hasn’t shredded yet but will soon as there is tons of belt dust gathering again and is only a matter of time. I believe the pulleys are all installed correctly and, other than the crank pulley, all pulleys have been checked and double checked and triple checked for burrs or imperfections. Nothing. As soon as a belt shreds, and before this last one shreds, I’ve cleaned up all the dust off of pulleys and elsewhere with brake cleaner ensuring the grooves of each pulley is clean and clear. I’m about to pull the belly pan and take a wire brush, brake cleaner, and scotchbrite to the crank pulley while it’s running to ensure that is not an issue. I’m lost as to why this is happening and the only thing that’s changed that could cause the belt issues is the “upgraded” UPD pulleys. I’ve emailed UPD and they have no advice or counsel. Shardul said maybe bad crank pulley but how could it be perfectly fine with the stock pulleys, then the UPD ones are installed and it all of a sudden the untouched stock crank pulley is suspect? I don’t think that’s the issue here. I’ve started my own thread on this issue, probably wrongly named the thread as New Faulty UPD S/C pulley destroyed. I’m not sure after research and troubleshooting that the S/C pulley or any of the other UPD pulleys are faulty, but I still have no explanation or solid working theory.
I hope that everyone that’s posted on this thread that has had experience with belts shredding will chime in here and state what the problem ended up being and how you corrected the issue. I’m lost and grasping for a solution as this pursuit of a diagnosis is maddening. Thanks all for your time.
it’s truly amazing to me that between, Mercedes, ourselves, weistec, renntech, multiple mechanics and UPD, that nobody can seem to resolve this. I get that there are many variables in the equation and one can’t be responsible for the other parts and then thirdly who installs them and fourthly other issues that are indirectly causing the issue. I get it. Anyways, I am replying to say a couple things: my issue of shredding belts began before my upd belt wrap and 5 pc pulleys were install and lastly, my issue was resolved. I wish I could answer how it stopped but I can’t. I did start going to a new mechanic and as stuff would break/ need service, he would fix it and then I noticed... no more belt speghetti for dinner. It was happening to many belts shredding and being thrown / walking off and now, nothing. I thought maybe it was the way I was driving but it was not. Hard... easy, didn’t matter. In reality and logically if a belt is being shredded, it’s either too small or coming into contact with something else. If walking off and or shredding like mine was, I think I had both problems of something not being aligned perfectly vertically to keep the belts in place and too small of a belt. My guy actually did math in front of me to figure out the correct belt size I needed for my setup. No issues since. (Well no issues with the topic lol)
Old 10-21-2018, 05:12 AM

I've just installed a Weistec crank pulley with smaller upper s/c pulley for a combo setup. Very nervous of the shred, but took a chance, I'm sick of low boost due to altitude. Will monitor the belt closely and say a few prayers everytime I go for a spin haha
Old 10-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by C32owner
I've just installed a Weistec crank pulley with smaller upper s/c pulley for a combo setup. Very nervous of the shred, but took a chance, I'm sick of low boost due to altitude. Will monitor the belt closely and say a few prayers everytime I go for a spin haha
What combo are you running now and what boost are you seeing?
Old 04-06-2019, 12:29 AM

E55 AMG
My E55 AMG has been shredding belts. It has a belt wrap kit and a bigger crank pulley. Recently replaced the SC belt tensioner. I’m running K080550HD belts. Will post video of set up.

Last edited by BenzKidd; 04-18-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Can you take a video of your setup so we can see from different angles how it looks to us? Something is off kilter !!
Old 04-06-2019, 08:45 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Can you take a video of your setup so we can see from different angles how it looks to us? Something is off kilter !!
Will upload video

Last edited by BenzKidd; 04-18-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:53 PM

E55 AMG
Here’s the video
. Quality may look bad because it was a mobile upload. Can email video in hopes of better quality.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Looking at this it appears to be "the belt" to far in and hitting the tensioner itself. You have to remember that that tensioner moves around ALOT when under boost. If you mounted a go pro under there and made a hard pass you would be amazed.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:00 PM

E55 AMG
So, I did notice the belt rubbing on the tensioner. What’s going on there? Did I install my tensioner wrong? Can’t remember if it was like that before.

Last edited by BenzKidd; 04-18-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by drothgeb
What combo are you running now and what boost are you seeing?
Wow sorry brother man, I missed this post from you. I'm running a 77mm upper and a weistek 170mm lower and seeing max boost of around 11psi
Old 04-10-2019, 11:03 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by BenzKidd
So, I did notice the belt rubbing on the tensioner. What’s going on there? Did I install my tensioner wrong? Can’t remember if it was like that before. Is a little crank wobble normal or is that on its way out?

also, this is the original belt that had come off once. The edge by the tensioner looks messed up but that was actually on the outside, I just reversed it when I put it back on. The wear on the side that was rubbing wasn't as bad.
What size belt and pullies? It's tough to tell because of the angle of the video but it looks like your tensioner is held up quite a bit more than I've ever seen mine. You may have too small of a belt on there? My tensioner pulley has pretty much always dipped below my belt wrap kit bar and yours looks a ways above it. Again, might just be the angle.

Wow sorry brother man, I missed this post from you. I'm running a 77mm upper and a weistek 170mm lower and seeing max boost of around 11psi
Nice, I'm at about 8 with my 72mm fixed. I was thinking about going to a 68mm, and just never driving aggressively if I go to sea level haha.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:30 PM

What size belt and pullies? It's tough to tell because of the angle of the video but it looks like your tensioner is held up quite a bit more than I've ever seen mine. You may have too small of a belt on there? My tensioner pulley has pretty much always dipped below my belt wrap kit bar and yours looks a ways above it. Again, might just be the angle.Nice, I'm at about 8 with my 72mm fixed. I was thinking about going to a 68mm, and just never driving aggressively if I go to sea level haha.
8psi is really low boost sonic don't see an issue if you go to sea level. I travel to sea level fairly regularly and have checked on both my supercharged cars and both see an increase of boost of around 4psi from 5000ft altitude down to sea level. So with your current setup of 72mm you will see around 12 psi and if you run the 68mm I still don't see you getting near the 17psi map limit if that is what you were concerned about.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:45 PM

2005 E55
8psi is really low boost sonic don't see an issue if you go to sea level. I travel to sea level fairly regularly and have checked on both my supercharged cars and both see an increase of boost of around 4psi from 5000ft altitude down to sea level. So with your current setup of 72mm you will see around 12 psi and if you run the 68mm I still don't see you getting near the 17psi map limit if that is what you were concerned about.
Negative brother, the concern arises from the fact that I am on factory injectors still
Old 04-15-2019, 05:59 AM

Negative brother, the concern arises from the fact that I am on factory injectors still
Ah yes my apologies, didn't realise that, then yes I would also be very worried about that one . Do you know what your IDC is running at currently
Old 04-18-2019, 12:35 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Looking at this it appears to be "the belt" to far in and hitting the tensioner itself. You have to remember that that tensioner moves around ALOT when under boost. If you mounted a go pro under there and made a hard pass you would be amazed.
Just wanted to update and say I fixed the issue. I installed UPD double idler pulleys and the belt does not come off anymore. Yeehaw

Last edited by BenzKidd; 04-18-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:24 PM

2005 E55
Ah yes my apologies, didn't realise that, then yes I would also be very worried about that one . Do you know what your IDC is running at currently
Nopee. All I know is I've got plenty of fuel at the moment, after my canned tune I was running pretty rich, had to send some logs over to tony to pull some fuel out. I've always got an eye on AFRs. 550s will probably be coming down the road anyways, I'd like to take a trip over to low land tracks a few hours away from me to get some fast runs in haha.

Just wanted to update and say I fixed the issue. I installed UPD double idler pulleys and the belt does not come off anymore. Yeehaw
Good to hear, good job
Old 04-18-2019, 03:09 PM

So was it the idler pulleys and now you running a different set?
Old 04-18-2019, 03:10 PM

Nopee. All I know is I've got plenty of fuel at the moment, after my canned tune I was running pretty rich, had to send some logs over to tony to pull some fuel out. I've always got an eye on AFRs. 550s will probably be coming down the road anyways, I'd like to take a trip over to low land tracks a few hours away from me to get some fast runs in haha.Good to hear, good job
Good stuff, I'm sure you will get sorted with a better tune and Tony can let you know at what limit your injectors are at. Sea level pressure going to be huge fun