Sponsored by:

Amazing Tires!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:21 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Amazing Tires!

I know plenty has been said about the Michelin PSS already but having fitted a set I feel compelled to share with those who don't know just how good they are. I'm not affiliated with Michelin or anything like that; I just want to share with my fellow E55ers that there is no better tire for use on the street.

The steering immediately feels much more solid almost like the suspension components had been upgraded. The car rides straighter and smoother and sticks like glue easily gliding wherever it is pointed. You can feel the enhanced grip when accelerating and braking. I love these tires!

I had no idea how much of a difference tires alone could make. Mind you it is summer here and the PSS's perform at their optimum when warm. I did notice when it dropped in temperature and became quite cold of a nighttime performance decreased considerably. A small price to pay for the amazing feel when warm.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:12 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Michelin makes the best tires. I ended up installing Cont DWS on mine because of the climate I live in but will be going with PS A/S 3 next time around.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by Sugar_Mouth
Michelin makes the best tires. I ended up installing Cont DWS on mine because of the climate I live in but will be going with PS A/S 3 next time around.
Conti DWS are pretty awesome in the snow, I experienced them with my E350 in about 6-7 in in the mountains of New Mexico. BUT..... how are they on the 55's and 63's performance wise. Also do the Conti's still have that wobble when cold? What is your reasoning for wanting the AS/3's? I am in SC but that past two weeks the temps have hit into the 40's and yes the PSS spin enough to warrant getting something that won't just wear out and waste them. Plus, possibly moving to DC and don't think I want to get stuck driving in snow with PSS on the car. Might not work out to well. Any help would be great

OP---yes PSS in warmer, above 50, weather are the best tire you can get. I know others swear by brands and say get this or get that, but I also think there is a difference. I will say I had a set of Hankook Ventus V12 on my last E63 and they were very nice also. Quiet, Hooked up, didn't wear funny, and the price warranted possibly another purchase. Also the side walls were very stiff which I do like, my PSS tend to roll a tad in the corners and I can feel it. but too stiff means starting to slide at a point also.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
OP---yes PSS in warmer, above 50, weather are the best tire you can get. I know others swear by brands and say get this or get that, but I also think there is a difference. I will say I had a set of Hankook Ventus V12 on my last E63 and they were very nice also. Quiet, Hooked up, didn't wear funny, and the price warranted possibly another purchase. Also the side walls were very stiff which I do like, my PSS tend to roll a tad in the corners and I can feel it. but too stiff means starting to slide at a point also.
I haven't tried the Hankook but have read good things about them. I have tried a couple of Contis plus a few others and the PSS made the most radical difference. Maybe the soft rubber allows a little extra roll but conversely sticking like they do also stops slide so it's all relative. I'd go so far as to say they make you feel more confident behind the wheel and thus a better driver.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Pilot super sports rock,after a day at the track I put them on after taking DR off and dead hooked ran a 10.92 on them lol, on the street the hook big time but cold weather definitely causes problems lol
Old 12-03-2014, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
I recently got the A/S 3 and am happy. Incredible all season tire and they are performing better than I expected.

45k warranty and good traction in the heavy rains here.

Had DWS on my e500. They were quiet and comfortable, but handling was meh. Also the DWS were very narrow for their size. A 245 looked like everyone else's 225.

Michelins seem to run a little wider than other tires I've used