W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 E63 wobbling under hard power?????? Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 01:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by GregMB
Definitely don't waste time on the alignment until you have the ride height the way you like it.... The toe changes quite a bit between a high or low suspension setting.

I gave up on "C" suspension setting (comfort) because it uses the dynamic ride adjustment at ~68mph and lowers the car another 20mm or so... Whatever you "think" your alignment settings are at static ride height will change at highway speeds.

I keep the car in "S1" sport-1 mode. There is NO dynamic ride adjustment in S1 or S2 so you've got a better chance of consistent alignment at any speed.

-G
Yes S1 is or has been my fav setting, seems to stay there all the time. However I have noticed this past week that when the car is in the garage the left rear end sits slightly lower than the right. Doesn't keep lowering but is crooked. But this again is a known problem issue, normal for them. My problem is definitely something to due with airmatic ride heights to start. Right now no matter what setting C, S1, S2 the car stays the same height. The car sits like this-----These were taken with the car running and after cycling the system (raising the whole car, then lowering it back, then cycling the Normal/Sport1/Sport2 settings. After lowering it to normal, then hitting Sport 1, ONLY the back lowered about an inch, nothing happened on the front, then nothing happens no matter what between the settings UNLESS the raise button is pushed. Any ideas????

Drivers Front, looks like normal comfort height----------

Drivers Rear ---- in person looks like lower than the normal Sport 1 or 2 setting

Passenger Rear ---- in person looks a tad lower than Sport 1 or 2 normal but its definitely higher than the other side.

Last edited by SheriffDep; 12-06-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
It might be easier to talk about ride heights if you took measurements from the ground to the top of each wheel arch....

I've collected those values on my own car and can compare with you.

Remember, on the rear there is no way to adjust individual heights...there is only a single sensor. However, the front struts will have a dramatic effect on the cross-loading. When I played with my ELM I could get rid of rear side-to-side variations by making slight tweaks to either the LF or RF heights. It takes some experimentation, but I was able to get a good overall stance and got all the values within about 1/4" of each other.... For an E55 that's actually pretty good.

EDIT: also...its a pain to get the AirMatic to change between modes and heights just sitting in the driveway. Sometimes you have to open and close the drivers door, engine running, put the car into gear, etc. otherwise the bags won't inflate/deflate the way you expect. Every time I made ELM adjustments, I would just drive the car around town for a while to settle the suspension correctly...then use my tape measure to collect fender heights.

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 12-06-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
FYI- Hub to fender is a more accurate way to measure ride height. Different tires and rims will = different readings from car to car.

My car usually doesn't adjust until I turn it off and get out. The I hear a loud hissing sound and scared me thinking I had another airmatic blowout.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
FYI- Hub to fender is a more accurate way to measure ride height. Different tires and rims will = different readings from car to car.

My car usually doesn't adjust until I turn it off and get out. The I hear a loud hissing sound and scared me thinking I had another airmatic blowout.
True, but in terms of absolute values between the four corners I'd trust a measurement from the ground more than I'd trust a hub measurement. The measurements will be more accurate and repeatable for our discussion here.

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 12-06-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by GregMB
True, but in terms of absolute values between the four corners I'd trust a measurement from the ground more than I'd trust a hub measurement. The measurements will be more accurate and repeatable for our discussion here.

-G
Did them correctly, normal height after cycling it up then down was

DR-26 7/8in, PR-27in, DF-27, PF-26 7/8

Then drove it this morning and cycling the system then put in Sp1

DR26, PR-25 7/8, DF-26, PF26 so seems like this time it all worked out right. Will keep checking it up.

DID 2 from stop digs today. Tires hooked, kinda skipped but was straight. Then as 2nd gear pulled the car swayed front left to right into third and about 75mph straightened out to keep pulling. So still working this issue. but car is going into shop tomorrow for (lip, diffuser, painting front and rear bumper, euro clear side markers, SRF brake flush, SS brake lines, Caliper painting and possible hood painting) so after all this I will raise tire press to 42 and see what that does.