How do you remove dashboard?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
How do you remove dashboard?

I've unscrewed all the bolts and taken everything that needs taking out. The dashboard top half isn't pulling up and out though. It won't budge. On one hand I have those 2 tubes behind the a-pillar, the airbag ones, obstructing its movements and on the other I can't get to the parking sensor bar connector to unplug it, I think it's not allowing the dashboard to come out but I can't get to it. I've lifted the dashboard as much as it allows but its access is still blocked. I'm also scared of those tubes (airbags) going off in my face.

Here's a picture....

Old 12-05-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
I have not done this personally, but I hope this helps. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
w211 Remove Top of Dash.pdf (652.9 KB, 137 views)
Old 12-05-2014, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by O-55
I have not done this personally, but I hope this helps. Good luck!
Already have that, it's kind of vague.

Thanks anyway though
Old 12-06-2014, 12:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 MERC E55
dashboard...

i just did this removal and i want to ask a few questions first. there are screws to remove on both ends of the dash. with the driver and passenger door open, there are screws behind that "cover" on each end that must be removed also. were those removed?? due to the fact you are saying its not moving leads me to believe you have not remove every possible screw??? so make sure ALL screws are removed. now i dont think you have to but i had my steering wheel removed also when i did my removal. made it much easier. i do understand what you are saying about those airbag connectors on each side, they do tend to be a problem rubbing on the each edge of the dash. be very careful with that or u will break that orange "lock tab" there right underneath the connector. once you can get it to move, grab the dash from the "middle" and tilt the dash up and out. there is an airbag on the passenger side under dash that you need to clear. i cannot stress enough about watching out for those connectors on the airbag on the A pillar. with the steering wheel removed, it comes right out with some wriggling of course but i would think you still have a screw in there somewhere???? just to a thorough check. hope this is helpful.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:26 AM

2004 MERC E55
dashboard....

when you are able to move it some, there are other connectors on each air vent on each side that needs to be disconnected. these connectors are of short length so be careful and look for them. i would try to disconnect them now before going any further. they also could be whats holding the dash back if all screws are indeed removed. the connectors are small and on the inside of each vent on each side.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by green1212
i just did this removal and i want to ask a few questions first. there are screws to remove on both ends of the dash. with the driver and passenger door open, there are screws behind that "cover" on each end that must be removed also. were those removed?? due to the fact you are saying its not moving leads me to believe you have not remove every possible screw??? so make sure ALL screws are removed. now i dont think you have to but i had my steering wheel removed also when i did my removal. made it much easier. i do understand what you are saying about those airbag connectors on each side, they do tend to be a problem rubbing on the each edge of the dash. be very careful with that or u will break that orange "lock tab" there right underneath the connector. once you can get it to move, grab the dash from the "middle" and tilt the dash up and out. there is an airbag on the passenger side under dash that you need to clear. i cannot stress enough about watching out for those connectors on the airbag on the A pillar. with the steering wheel removed, it comes right out with some wriggling of course but i would think you still have a screw in there somewhere???? just to a thorough check. hope this is helpful.
The dash is moving, all the screws are out. The parking sensor thing is there though and needs to be disconnected but I can't get to it.... I feel something, like a wire holding the dash from the middle. The sides move and it's definitely not screwed on still. Do you have Parking Sensors?
Old 12-06-2014, 05:47 AM

2004 MERC E55
i dont have the parking sensors but i did see the wiring there right in the middle i believe. but the parking sensor is on the top part of dash towards the "front" of dash, is there any way you can tilt it up or get a mirror to look and see if you can see the connector and how its plug in?? the only think back there in the middle of that dash is the ac condensor unit and its that big black unit that does from 1 end to the other underneath the dash.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:56 AM

2004 MERC E55
lot of work there??

btw: thats a lot of work there!! what are you going to be doing?? you got that car almost stripped down man!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
btw: thats a lot of work there!! what are you going to be doing?? you got that car almost stripped down man!
I'm tilting it as far as I can go but there's alot of resistance. I believe it's the wire and I don't wanna damage it. Believe me though it's hard to reach

As for the car being stripped down. I'm doing a project on it. Coilovers, engine, gearbox, differential, wheels, bodykit etc I got the car for a good price. I keep having second thoughts though.... I have a massive love/hate relationship with the W211, I have 3 of them.....
Old 12-06-2014, 06:18 AM

2004 MERC E55
tell u what, sometimes those parking sensors are connected on both ends, do you have enough room to see if you can disconnect from the sensor part??? like door connectors, it may have a connector on the top part also??? just a thought. and hang in there with the project, it does get discouraging at times but after all the work, this will have been your creation and there is something unique and rewarding about that so if i can encourage you.... anything worth doing will not be easy at times and thats where the "wow" factor comes in. keep at it man!!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
tell u what, sometimes those parking sensors are connected on both ends, do you have enough room to see if you can disconnect from the sensor part??? like door connectors, it may have a connector on the top part also??? just a thought. and hang in there with the project, it does get discouraging at times but after all the work, this will have been your creation and there is something unique and rewarding about that so if i can encourage you.... anything worth doing will not be easy at times and thats where the "wow" factor comes in. keep at it man!!
I don't think it can be accessed like that. The guide on the net, the official Mercedes guide I think, says that you lift it up and disconnect but I'm getting ALOT of resistance. I'll try again. It's raining like crazy and the car is outside so I haven't had a chance to work on it in the past 2 days.