Sponsored by:

Damn these fuel pumps!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 and several 928s
Fair enough. With yourr id1000s and e85, any tuning issues?

When I rip out my current pump baskets I will keep them so I can modify for larger pumps when I get to e85. You have no had fuel flow issues with the small supply lines?

Originally Posted by rockthemullet
I was not speaking specifically about the E55 pump assembly, I was speaking generically about a returnless fuel system. In a returnless system the pumps are run on the pressure side with an exhaust relief only utilized for overpressure. I designed systems for both Ford and GM where this was the only method used across the company, engineering standard.

I can't speak for our assembly, as I don't have one in my hand, but it may be a deadhead system and not a true returnless system. Regardless, voltage is still variable in a deadhead system. In a true returnless system there is no fuel pressure regulator, whether internal or external to the tank, and voltage variability is indeed based on demand. This is why there are fuel rail pressure sensors used in returnless systems in conjunction with driver modules, for real time response.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subies
Originally Posted by BC928
I have both units new sitting on my dining room table. I want to take some pics so people understand more of what is being spoken of if they have not held these units themselves.

The fuel filter inside the sender (which is also the pressure sensor AS well as the actual (what I believe) is the fpr in the bottom of the case)
As I add power and e85, I will be concerned over these two units.
Originally Posted by rockthemullet
I was speaking generically about a returnless fuel system.

I can't speak for our assembly, as I don't have one in my hand, but it may be a deadhead system and not a true returnless system.
SOOOO.. Then discussing either without the actual knowledge of exactly what our system is, is difficult and confusing for most.

BUT.. if BC928 could share his pictures with you of his "units" so that you might be able to confirm what type of fuel pressure relief the E55 has? Questions answered, Problems Solved, and Solutions can be found. hopefully, just a visual will be enough.

Last edited by 95ONE; 12-17-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Np. Lemme get some pics.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:10 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BC928
Fair enough. With yourr id1000s and e85, any tuning issues?

When I rip out my current pump baskets I will keep them so I can modify for larger pumps when I get to e85. You have no had fuel flow issues with the small supply lines?
Aside from some fluctuating idle issues, the corn is no problem. I'm confident if I actually spent some time on the idle, this would be cleared up but I've been too busy adding power, lol. ID injectors are the best on the market, I don't run anything else on any of my cars. They're a tuner's dream, lots of information available for injector tuning.

No supply issues aside from the connector overheating. This may or may not be related to a restrictive supply line, but I'm leaning toward not at all. I've run 6AN lines on 700whp cars with no issues, our system isn't too far off from that and we have the benefit of an unusually high base pressure.

Originally Posted by 95ONE
SOOOO.. Then discussing either without the actual knowledge of exactly what our system is, is difficult and confusing for most.

BUT.. if BC928 could share his pictures with you of his "units" so that you might be able to confirm what type of fuel pressure relief the E55 has? Questions answered, Problems Solved, and Solutions can be found. hopefully, just a visual will be enough.
Not to be cynical, but 100% of this board will never need that information. The <1% that make enough power to overcome the stock system with upgraded pumps will just convert to a full return style aftermarket system for tuning consistency. Nevertheless, I'll see what I can do with just the pictures provided.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
There was a member here who did what I was thinking about doing.

He simply used JB weld and saturated the entire piece where it leaks and surrounding areas where it could leak. Just basically put a nice glob. He said it worked and solved the issue. I can't remember his user name.

Just seems like a such a waste to keep replacing the expensive pump assemblies. Instead of addressing the actually issue itself. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
JBweld is not a solution.

I may use some fuel safe sealant on the green ring
Old 12-20-2014, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
The jb weld will stop it from cracking from the heat but it will fail eventually, the pumps create more heat from the current needed to move the fuel because the filter gets clogged dirty, the issue is the filter