W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premature tire wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own a 2006 E55 AMG parts list longtube headers e63 exhaust ftpheat exchanger and a crank p
Premature tire wear

Ok guys I have a renntech lowering module and my 2006 e55 I just bought the car in October and I've already had to put 2 sets of tires in 3 months and I've only put 4 thousand miles on the car so my tires are lasting only 2000 miles what could be causing this could it just be the alignment is off or could it be something more serious please provide some input thanks!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:31 AM

I own a 2006 E55 AMG parts list longtube headers e63 exhaust ftpheat exchanger and a crank p
I should add that it's the entire surface of the tire not just the inner part or outer it's basically turning them into powder and I see it all over my rear bumper
Old 12-30-2014, 01:11 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
W211 E55 2003
what brand of tires and what conditions? Seems like the tires are very soft and wear fast. If its an alignment issue you would be seeing uneaven wear. Really low mileages to the tires but im guesing its the tires..
Old 12-30-2014, 01:54 AM

I have gone through 2 sets of bf Goodrich tires one was a all season tire and the other one was a kdw and now I have a set of really all season tires on there because I'm tired of paying 400 plus for tires of its just going to eat them up I and it looks like it's eating them up from the outside in and I don't drive the car hard either
Old 12-30-2014, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
These things go through tires quickly, but one set every two thousand miles is not right. Have that alignment checked.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 AM

I shouldn't have to be replacing the tires every 4 weeks doesn't make any sense I'm takig the car in to be inspected when I owned my gto I could have done burn outs all day with cheap tires and bf Goodrich kdw's and they would last for at least a year to a year and half
Old 12-30-2014, 02:00 AM

Denroll that's what I'm saying i don't mind if it goes through tires quickly but a set every 2000 miles or 4 weeks is outta control lol
Old 12-30-2014, 03:08 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Does your wear look like any of these?

Old 12-30-2014, 03:47 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
W211 E55 2003
Originally Posted by Sk9106
and it looks like it's eating them up from the outside in and I don't drive the car hard either

Well there you go something isnt right, like said get an alignment check and also make sure theres no wear on the suspension parts
Old 12-30-2014, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Set your alignment for the height you drive, when you lower it the toe-in increases dramatically.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi S4 (sold), E46 M3 (sold) 05 E55 silver/black(sold)
That's excessive. I did go through a set of Falken FK453 on the rear in 8,000 miles but those tires are super soft. No racing, but a lot of high speed freeway miles. Wear is always from the inside due to factory camber settings.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:20 AM

It's more like the feathered edge Ill post a pic later when I get off work later
Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 AM

This what my bumper looks like
Attached Thumbnails Premature tire wear-dsc_0013.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
I'm going to go with "that ain't right." I got 7,000 miles out of some Michelin PSS tires on the rear, and I wasn't gentle on them.

Check for a good alignment shop that specializes in custom and lowered suspension. They are usually the "can do" guys. Most shops will give you the "can't do" as soon as they hear the word Mercedes. I found an excellent shop and it was only $65.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:43 PM

I'm taking it to levin tire tomorrow called them and told them exactly what's going on and told them that car is lowered and they are willing to work on it so I will see what's going on I'm going to set the renntech lowering module to where I want it for when they do the alignment and hope it fixes it but if they can't I found a shop that's a 1.5hours away called Auto Art and they specialize in foriegn and exotic cars with work Done to them and I wish I could get at least 7,000 miles on a tire and have fun not drive like a grandma lol
Old 12-31-2014, 05:08 PM

Ok so the verdict is in... My alignment is all f'd up they guy said it looks like I took the car and jumped it off a ramp.. Well since the car has a renntech lowering module what would be the best setting to align the car in I currently have it set on 7 all the way around anyone have any experience with the renntech lowering module on a E55 w211
Old 12-31-2014, 10:34 PM
SPONSOR

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Ok so the verdict is in... My alignment is all f'd up they guy said it looks like I took the car and jumped it off a ramp.. Well since the car has a renntech lowering module what would be the best setting to align the car in I currently have it set on 7 all the way around anyone have any experience with the renntech lowering module on a E55 w211

Fact is “Full front and rear wheel alignment” is no more!

Since the mid ‘90 model’s, with the ever increasing speed of vehicle assembly lines there has been no front or rear Camber (or front Caster) adjustment facility fitted OEM

Only current adjustment is front and rear Toe and situations where there is insufficient rear Toe once the issue of lack of Camber is overcome!

To attempt to return vehicle to factory specs to resolve costly premature inner edge tire wear, improve traction and fix steering pull the only current alternative for front Camber and Caster is to fit offset, slotted bolts (for the front only). But these are inaccurate - one only position bolts - offering a minimal .3 of one degree adjustment (3mm / 1/8”).

It’s no wonder many owners continually change tire brands or go from one MB Dealer or alignment shop to another trying to get it right/fix the problem!

We saw the need therefore "to fix it right the first time" by designing, developing, patenting (and re-instating from the 1990's) fully adjustable front (and rear) suspension for virtually all models.

The current K-MAC kits have up to 4 times the adjustment of these one only position offset bolts (both Positive or Negative). And unlike these one position bolts that require labour intensive jacking and disassembly each time, the K-MAC kits only require use of a single wrench to accurately adjust on car(under load) direct on alignment turntable (no need for labor intensive removal/replacement each time).

Providing ongoing full, precise adjustment of both Camber and Caster settings if altering suspension height, fitting wide profile tires/wheels, curb knock damage or being able to quickly fine tune/change specs on race days (extra Negative/plus track width to go deeper into the corners/lower lap times). With the unique K-MAC patented design only requiring use of a single wrench/no disassembly.

For the rear, similar kits for precise Camber adjustment (with also additional Toe to compensate for the new Camber facility). Importantly unlike the alternative rear upper adjustable Camber control arms available K-MAC kits do not move top of tire outwards - this reducing essential clearance top of tire to outer fender when adjusting to fix premature inner edge tire wear/improve rear traction.

Also instead of spherical bearings as used on many of these upper control arms which prematurely pound out allowing metal to metal contact. At K-MAC we have developed long life elastomer bushings.

Bonus with all the four front and four rear K-MAC bushes is that they are also designed with twice the load bearing area and replace the highest wearing suspension bushings. And with K-MAC no special tools are required to fit.

Note (Product background re bushings): Majority OEM bushes have air voids to allow 2 axis movement. So control arms can travel through their required arcs without binding, locking up.

Essential with today’s modern designs of “multi-link” arms with different angle mount points!

Yet most “aftermarket” replacement bushes the industry standard is to eliminate these air voids in an attempt to improve both steering response and reduce wheel hop, loss of traction under brake and acceleration.

The opposite is often the case – the elimination of the air voids causes even more severe wheel hop, loss of traction through binding, locking up of arms.

K-MAC bushes – with 50 years now of bush technology are designed without the air voids but where needed with “full 2 axis movement”. Result is power to the ground – maximum traction/acceleration/braking - along with noticeably improved directional control and steering response for highway driving, lane changing.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:45 AM

By the way guys my toe in the rear wheels was off a few degrees which caused the three times wear so quickly it's been a month now and the tires still look new I'm very pleased now lol
Old 02-05-2015, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
By the way guys my toe in the rear wheels was off a few degrees which caused the three times wear so quickly it's been a month now and the tires still look new I'm very pleased now lol

I'm surprised you could even drive the car with the toe that far off.... Must have been a real handful in the corners!

There is no such thing as a perfect suspension setting if you are constantly playing around with the ride heights on the ELM. As soon as you raise or lower the car, your "good" alignment becomes lousy and you'll start eating tires again.

ELMs are great for getting the stance perfect, but it seems like people mess with their ride heights too much and don't consider what it does to the alignment.

-G
Old 02-07-2015, 02:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I should add that it's the entire surface of the tire not just the inner part or outer it's basically turning them into powder and I see it all over my rear bumper

LOL and this is the point where I actually thought it was blatant trolling............or was it..............dun dun dun the plot thickens.... hahaha,

Oh yeah, I think you forgot to add that for some reason when you go to take off from the lights you are just stationary for like 5 minutes with the rear wheels spinning haha, then all this black crap gets sprayed up onto your rear bumper and inner guards

Glad you got it sorted though mate

Good reading
Old 02-17-2015, 01:23 AM

Lolol not trolling I was seriously going through tires every month.... And I hate the lowering module I think it's stupid if I knew how to remove I would it was on the car when I purchased it