Sponsored by:

Command Dead after Leaving Lights on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
Command Dead after Leaving Lights on

I drove to work yesterday and it was dark but it was light by the time I arrived at work... and didn't turn my head lights off.

About 2 hours later I was leaving for a quick errand and realized they were on. The car still started fine but obviously had been being drained (have HIDs). Once I was back on the road I turned on the radio and noticed the Command unit would hang on the Mercedes logo, then simply cut out.

When I bought the car the wires connecting the aftermarket sub were a little frayed, and sometimes they would touch and that would kill the battery. I had to diagnose and fix that issue and it's fine since. But during that time when the battery would cut out, sometimes the command would die in similar fashion.

I've fixed this normally by unplugging the battery. I did that last night for about 15 minutes and when I reconnected there was the same issue.

So questions:
1. How long is "long enough" to unplug battery to reset these technical gremlins.
2. What electrical function failed the command because I left my lights on?
3. Search will reveal fuse help but if anyone's replaced these and has some insight.

Any other comments welcome, thanks.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
this may be a bit hard but try to disconnect the electrical harness from the behind the comand unit for a couple of minutes.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 AM

e63 NA
Okay thanks I'll search for some info on that.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Or you can remove the fuse for the command for about 5 minutes, located in the trunk.

A hard reset, removal of positive and negative terminals for 5 minutes can't hurt. I did it once when swapping my battery before. All is well.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 PM

e63 NA
Thanks for the tips. I fully disconnected my battery for about 15 minutes and it did the trick. Electrical gremlins never make too much sense
Old 02-13-2015, 12:15 PM

e63 NA
Okay I have an update, it seems things never went back to normal fully.

As I said above everything was working fine until I left the headlights on to drain battery (was still able to start it so not full drain).

The one tip I haven't done is to try and disconnect the main electrical harness as Shardul suggested, so that's next to try but here is an update.

When I start the car, the command/stereo typically is working fine. Sometime between 10 seconds and 10 minutes, the Command unit will just Cut out entirely. When this command unit cuts out, the Lighters in the car no longer work, and certain interior lights don't work. Also the heads up display on my gauges will show the radio on but it won't let me change anything (as it's off). Within 5 minutes it will usually cut back on. At this point it will either come back on with full functionality (sub woofer knocking all electronics working), or it will come back with partial electronics and certain interior functions will not work. Then it will go off again.

I replaced a ton of the fuses in the truck, and thought I had isolated it. But then same thing keeps happening.

Any other suggestions would be great. I had my stereo guy take a look at it with me and we couldn't figure out the electrical issue either.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Maybe the seller who sold you the car should have told you this... LOL!

I had that problem once but didn't think it would come back. I took the radio apart and plugged everything back in. Radio takes about 10-15min to remove.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Metropolitan
Since I am living in Europe now I have access to unlimited supplie of used Euro Commands that plays DVD. Let me know if you are interested?