Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke on Startup or Motor Swap Time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG, 2008 W221 S65 AMG
Glad to hear its coming together. Its annoying how many little changes they make along the way. Are you swaping the hole thing, or just the short block and pistons?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by alexanderfoti
Glad to hear its coming together. Its annoying how many little changes they make along the way. Are you swaping the hole thing, or just the short block and pistons?
The whole thing - not the long block... Warranty on the motor so I'm going to just use it - after we swap out the harness, manifolds, oil pans, oil pump, and do a bunch of little maintenance item.
Interestingly the chain tensioner on my oil pump was wicked slack, so the chain was slapping the pan and cut a recess into it.
Needless to say, getting new tensioner for the new motor among other items.

Last edited by 9mil; 03-29-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-29-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG, 2008 W221 S65 AMG
Ah fair enough, should be pretty straight forward then.

I have seen that a couple of times after taking the sump of on M113's, on a few non Kompressor engines too, at around 100K seems as though they get a bit worn out and start wearing into the area around the sump, doesnt seem to cause any other problems apart from the slight sump cast wear though.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005- E55, 2007 GL450, 94 B3000
Where are the updates at??
Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 AM

E55 AMG
Update on the E55!

So I decided to change the motor out and found one with 100Kwarranty and appeared to be well taken care of out of an S55… so i wasfortunate enough to make a new friend who had a WAY better understanding on theswap than I did and it showed…. Having someone who actually knew what they weredoing (not like me, just changing a motor- but the swap on an E55 specifically)was clutch here! I figured it saved me at least 3 additional weekends. It wasn’teven really the swap that was time consuming, it was the re-gluing of the oilpans, front cover, valve covers… and here is the catch- CORRECTLY… I could havethrown some glue on this, but to actually do it right the first time was keyand that is where The Man came in- detail oriented and knows his stuff- do itonce and do it right!

New motor showed up:

Smoke on Startup or Motor Swap Time-img_6695.jpg

So we got the motor out with relative ease- added about 30minutes as I forgot a bolt in the tranny. There are like 40 of them, so you couldsee why I would miss the one at the bottom, in plain sight- whoops.

Smoke on Startup or Motor Swap Time-img_6795.jpg

Smoke on Startup or Motor Swap Time-img_6794.jpg

With both motors on stands we started tearing down and prepping.This was pretty time consuming and there are a couple of specific toolsrequired- thankfully The Man had some back up….

Smoke on Startup or Motor Swap Time-img_6796.jpg

Yes- It looks like a bomb went off in my garage as I tossedeverything to one side to get all the extra stuff in there… we usually have 2cars in there is you can believe that!

Smoke on Startup or Motor Swap Time-img_6694.jpg

Once the oils pans were off, we were able to see the issue-scaring on the cylinder wall on the #6 piston…. Haven’t taken it down farther yetas I am trying to get everything else sorted first, but I suspect when thepiston is popped out a portion of the ring/ piston will fall out or be wedgedin precariously into the piston.

Smoke on Startup or Motor Swap Time-img_6925.jpg

Smoke on Startup or Motor Swap Time-img_6928.jpg

So with the motors apart the cleaning of the new one startedand scraped all the old glue off the valve covers, front cover, oil pans andrear main seal. We went ahead and did the oil chain tensioner too and all thelittle odds and end gaskets/ O rings that tend to leak… Again, Guidance fromThe Man was clutch here- specifying what was needed that is specific to the E55motor was huge. I know the big stuff, but the little stuff is what matters andagain, some tools are needed too!

Smoke on Startup or Motor Swap Time-img_6749.jpg

Smoke on Startup or Motor Swap Time-img_6746.jpg

So with all the w211 parts on the S55 motor we were able tochuck her back into the body…. A leveler and some know how from the man provedwell placed here. It went right back in, bolted up TC, bell-housing, exhaust,hoses and accessories and primed it a good bit and it fired right up… we hadthe oil pans and valve covers off at 9am and it was running by 2:30PM … and I didn’teven strip a bolt like normally do!

We ran it through some start ups and checked for leakage andall good- never before have I had an engine swap start and not pour some fluidfrom a loose connection point! Amazing. Swapped the water we placed in for MBcoolant and started testing it.

Over the next few days I put about 30 miles on it and thatbrings us to today. I am going to change and inspect the oil and filter to makesure we are all good and am changing the ball joints as I am sadistic and I amhoping to have it back into normal operation on Monday.

I do get to re-coup some of my engine investment as I canpart out my old motor as I pulled before it destroyed itself and the new onecame with everything on it. I am going to put some miles on it before postingwhat is left over, but it will definitely help make this more stomachable!

I have to thank the dude that made it all possible and hiswife and daughter for letting me borrow him for a couple of Sundays and aFriday… Without his help, I can say this would have been a disaster that would havetaken a considerable amount of additional time. This is my daily driver so I reallydidn’t want it to be a project- just get it done and hopefully sealed up forthe remainder of ownership.

Making a new friend is what helped this along 100% - it’s awesomehe offered to help as most shy away…. Its HUGE he knows what he is doing! Sharingthe knowledge with us poor, desperate folks that don’t know any better is agodsend… You earned your beers! Looking forward to your next project (ill trynot to F it up like I usually do mine ;-)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Glad it's all done!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Nice job!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
The Man is a good dude. We need to get together for some Popeyes (lol).
Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 PM

I am just glad that I was able to help Phil. We got you up and running again. That was what was important. Making a friend was an added bonus! You are too kind

The photos are going to cost you a lot more than the motor did though!LOL
Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
The Man is a good dude. We need to get together for some Popeyes (lol).

That sounds delicious!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:47 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 211.070
I am just glad that I was able to help Phil. We got you up and running again. That was what was important. Making a friend was an added bonus! You are too kind

The photos are going to cost you a lot more than the motor did though! LOL
Hahaha.... hippie!

Thank you again for the help and I look forward to the next project!

Popeye's FTW!!!!! on me even ;-)