W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question - I have an ipod cable, but don't have an ipod - how to play mp3s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
Question - I have an ipod cable, but don't have an ipod - how to play mp3s?

I have not used the ipod cable becuase I don't have an ipod. I guess I could buy and ipod, but I would not use iTunes - maybe rockbox it. Will the ipod cable support an ipod with Rockbox? If not, are there any other options?

I did see another thread posted regarding buying a device that would connect to a BT receiver - are there any other options?

TIA
Old 02-25-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005- E55, 2007 GL450, 94 B3000
You can use a BT receiver. If you have an AUX port you could remove the ipod integration, and hook the AUX port back up.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Oh so the aux port is inactive unless you remove the iPod integration?
Old 02-25-2015, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
1. Does the head unit have an SD card reader? You can play mp3's off the SD Card.
2. Does the head unit have a CD drive? You may play mp3's off the burned CD.
3. Does the media interface cable in the glove compartment have a 30 pin connection? Get a Tune2Air adaptor that powers off the 30pin connection and you can wirelessly stream music from any paired bluetooth device.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by islandbeef
1. Does the head unit have an SD card reader? You can play mp3's off the SD Card.
2. Does the head unit have a CD drive? You may play mp3's off the burned CD.
3. Does the media interface cable in the glove compartment have a 30 pin connection? Get a Tune2Air adaptor that powers off the 30pin connection and you can wirelessly stream music from any paired bluetooth device.
1. Mine is a 2008, so this is an NTG1 - no sd card reader (bummer - only the 2009s have this afaik)
2. Yes - that's what I'm doing now, but unfortunately the CD changer doesn't allow folder navigation - only the first 99 tracks.
3. Yeah - any other options - like plugging in a USB drive and being able to navigate folder structure via headunit?

Thanks!

Last edited by mightar; 02-25-2015 at 08:05 PM. Reason: updated question
Old 02-25-2015, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,171 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
You can get a 4th gen ipod touch from Cowboom. I think I saw them for $59. You will need a separate charging adapter if you want it to charge. 4th gen doesn't require you to use itunes. You can download apps like spotify or pandora. I use spotify, but I do pay $10 a month to use it in offline mode. I take it home to sync my playlists over wifi. I suppose you could also get a 4th gen 32gb ipod touch from apple, it's $159, basically almost like new, has a one year warranty and they put in a new battery and outer shell. Only reason I didn't go bluetooth is that it can skip more than a direct connection and most people don't seem to be that happy with the sound quality plus I don't think the steering wheel controls work, whereas it sounds fine with an ipod and the controls work.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
You can get a 4th gen ipod touch from Cowboom. I think I saw them for $59. You will need a separate charging adapter if you want it to charge. 4th gen doesn't require you to use itunes. You can download apps like spotify or pandora. I use spotify, but I do pay $10 a month to use it in offline mode. I take it home to sync my playlists over wifi. I suppose you could also get a 4th gen 32gb ipod touch from apple, it's $159, basically almost like new, has a one year warranty and they put in a new battery and outer shell. Only reason I didn't go bluetooth is that it can skip more than a direct connection and most people don't seem to be that happy with the sound quality plus I don't think the steering wheel controls work, whereas it sounds fine with an ipod and the controls work.
That's exactly my aversion to BT connection. Would definitely prefer a hardline connection where I could navigate folder structure on the headunit itself, but it seems there's no solution for that other than the primary internal CD slot. If the CD changer behaved the same way as the internal CD slot for mp3 naviation, I'd be satisfied with that.

Thanks for the input folks.