Thinking of getting a E55 anyone in the Baltimore area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by s_ager
wow... 152K miles... I don't know if I have the ***** to go for that... I can fix some things on the car but not all, luckily I have a friend who is a mechanic, he mostly works on Grand nationals, but he does give pitty on me and helps me a times :-)

You are right that some sellers here in the area, does not react at all to emails, even though I make a point to send very specific questions. But either they must have wagon loads of money and dont care if they sell, or they simply already sold the car, and have not taken the add down.

Keeping my eyes open, and suddenly it will be there, and the Volvo will have to go, and that will not be a issue apparently.
I don't think you'll have any major additional problem taking the car to 152K or even 250K miles with regular upkeep. Yes, you'll have some suspension issues, suspension pump, control arm issues, water pump, IC pump maybe, voltage regulator, trunk wiring harness, but those are all near-term short-term issues of a 50k mile old E55 today. Maybe a speaker will go out. Maybe the sunroof motor will groan. Window regulators go out. Your SBC brake computer may decide to give up and fail (they say it does this after a certain number of full stops). Crank position sensor may get buggy. But none of these issues are excluded from a 2006 E55 with 50k miles.

With regular maintenance and good upkeep of the engine and transmission, the car is actually a very reliable car supposedly. Keep the car clean, wash it often, pull the leaves out of the windshield area, clean the radiator from bugs, and touch up paint here and there to prevent rust and you've got an overall very reliable car.

I suppose I'd probably tire of the car before I hit 250k miles, or the safety technology for cars have improved to offer self-driving cars or cars that are even more crash resilient, but I have good confidence that the car can do 250k miles. The car can probably last around 15 years or 250k miles, whichever comes first. After 15 years, parts get expensive, certain unexpected things break, computers fail, etc. After 250k miles, you're looking at expensive mechanical repairs with new radiators, possibly a transmission rebuild, and an engine that is probably still in great shape with good compression. Brake calipers will probably need to be disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt before 250k miles if you use your brakes a lot.

But this car has the ability to last a long time, a really long time, with proper care.