W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Stumbling Idle Advice - E55

Old 06-28-2017, 12:09 AM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeNobody
Get a silicon coupler, cut it down to maybe an inch in length, then use the coupler between the intake y-pipe and the throttle body. You'll need to cut the coupler down to the shortest length you can (just short enough to get two clamps on it). Then it'll be sealed up 100%, without any worries about the stock gasket slipping off or letting air through.
Could you post some pictures of this silicon coupler and info where you got it?

Thank you.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by menace2sobriety
Just updating this thread as PROBLEM SOLVED

Throttle body arrived, fitted it and it instantly transformed the car, no more fault codes, idles smooth, power I hadnt even noticed it lacking has seem to come back strong through low-mid throttle, boost comes on strong and smooth, no longer feels like it has a holley carb through the rev range

Intial issues were the exact symptoms as the 82mm throttle body but on a stock 74mm unit
Stumbling with P0106 codes and fuel trims going lean and O2s sticking to 0.1V when using low-no throttle in stop start traffic but only after 20 minutes or so
Also P202B-002 code after 4 weeks appearing after the P0106's and becoming a static code

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions in this thread
Oi what was wrong with the old tb?
Old 04-28-2023, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls55 amg
Throttle body? Or throttle actuator?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have ever had the same symptoms that my 04 E55 is starting to have

I don't want to be throwing parts into it so I just need to see if there is a definitive answer, my first bet is a vacuum leak, second - plugs

* I have a set of New Iridium Plugs coming from EBay but due to international shipping they are about 2 weeks away

Ok, driving around normally is fine, in light traffic I can drive any distance with no issue, it only seems to rear its head in stop start traffic after about 20 minutes of driving, in traffic where I am either stopped or cruising 5MPH with 1mm of throttle for some time

It seems to instantly switch on, as if it switches to a new map and the car starts idling rough and becoming jerky on slow down, higher RPM it is fine (anything over 1500rpm or more), only around idle the car starts to shake around a bit like it's cammed and when coasting with 1-2mm throttle

It started a couple of weeks ago and I thought I had fixed it with a loose Y pipe, this drove fine for about a week then happened again, once again I refitted the y pipe and it was ok for about 3 days, now it seems to occur daily for the past 2 days

For some reason though the bottom of my y pipe does seem to keep coming loose - when refitting I can literally pull on it and it is secure top and bottom, but after this issue re occurs I find the bottom can be wiggled again and is not correctly clipped on)

I wonder if the exhaust wrap around the intake pipes beside the radiator are helping the y pipe to pop off because they are quite tight are putting pressure on the y pipe when the engine torques? (theory)

I have found that if I turn the car off then turn it on straight away the car returns to working normally and no more jerky behaviour or rough idle

When the issue occurs I have heard popping down the exhaust upon slowing down which is why I am going to replace the plugs (I do not know when they were last replaced, only owned the car 3 months)

* WHEN IT FIRST OCCURRED THERE WAS A P0106 CODE, SINCE THEN 2 WEEKS NO FAULT CODES LOGGED AND NOTHING LOGGED IN STAR

What I have found:

My Y Pipe at the throttle body has been loose on numerous occasions even after refitting and making sure it is on tight

All vacuum lines around the throttle body, intake, supercharger all seem to be fitted and nothing is loose or disconnected - although I STILL reckon it is a vacuum leak somewhere, going to spray it all with some spray to see if I can find it

I have tried to find the line that usually pops off that goes to the back of the supercharger up to the bypass valve but for the life of me cannot find it, my vehicle is RHD if that makes any difference, even with the surge tanks off etc I could not find it (if someone has a picture of it could they post it up)

I did a throttle shaft grind (very conservative) and painted the surge tanks about 1-2 months ago, initially I had an issue but all was resolved and car has been running perfect up until recently with this issue

Any help or advice will be appreciated, as I said no codes are being thrown so it is a little hard to diagnose and may eventually come down to throwing parts at it and removing and resealing everything again

Thanks

hey mate….I see u sorted ur issue….did u replace the throttle body or actuator? Thanks
Old 02-06-2024, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls55
Intial issues were the exact symptoms as the 82mm throttle body but on a stock 74mm unit

STOCK 74mm

I posted up the resolution because I literally searched online in every thread I could, even on other models for over a month, every thread that was having the same symptoms would eventually stop dead and no more posts along with a tonne of run around try this try that, replace this replace that, so therefore you would not know if it was fixed or what the fix was....if there was one

I hope everyone can update their threads with what fixed their issue/s so that when searched and found in Google it is not a big waste of time for the person searching and reading an entire thread looking for a solution that never gets noted
Hello
Have you managed to unplug the TB plug, where it seems that it's glued in? Im Due to swap my stock TB but can't unplug the old one. Why would they glue in the plug lol