W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

(E63) Cut outs vs Longtube sound and power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015 | 12:29 PM

M3
(E63) Cut outs vs Longtube sound and power?

Just wanted some input on my setup ideas before I pick a direction.

Before I found long tubes I planned to just buy electric cut outs and put them right after the stock headers (after primary cats).

-saves money
-Can get a tune right away with saved money
-Possible great sound when I open the cut outs.

Or

Install Long Tubes, Xpipe..

-Destroy my pockets
-have to wait on a tune
-I know for a fact it'll sound fantastic.

This will all be going to stock mufflers, and the long tubes I have a option for slip on primary cats or straight pipes when I want.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2015 | 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
I wonder if anyone has any kind of track or dyno numbers for a 63 with no cats. Seems like everyone either uses long tubes or the car has stock manifolds. I modded my air boxes, AFE filters, resonator delete, and a Eurocharged tune. I ordered long tubes yesterday. I'd just pay the cost for the long tubes and wait on the tune. I'll post some dyno and track numbers when I get them installed. I'll be using Vibrant race cats in place of the factory secondary cats.

My CL55 with gutted cats and a Eurocharged tune made 430 whp and 440 ft lbs.
Old 04-04-2015 | 10:13 PM

2004 E55 AMG
I have an E55 and that is exactly what I wanted to know.
Since I have the electric cutouts I will custom building an x-pipe with the cutouts in the middle of the X. That way I get the better performance of an X pipe when the cutouts are closed but still have an X pipe when open. I think I will remove the secondary cats. headers, mods, and a tune will have to wait since I don't know anyone in Utah doing dyno tuning.

I'll be doing it soon and let you know about the sound.
I will try to get the voice control arm to open and close the valve.
Old 04-05-2015 | 11:28 AM

M3
Well I installed long tubes Friday, not able to finish the exhaust until Monday so I've been driving around open Headers.

The sound is monstrous and tosses fire ***** every where every touch of the throttle, I can surely feel the massive lose of torque due to the lack of back pressure but up top it's come alive a bit more. As you know the car is unbaraly loud this way and cause of it I've only driven it once this weekend, really just for the sake of neighbors having a heart attack from a cold start with open long tubes.

I'll be adding a X pipe and cats or strught pipe (I have both) to the headers going all the way back to stock mufflers Monday, then later this month I'll be ordering cut outs to go right before the cats if I keep the cats on.