W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** HELP, Front suspension won't raise (both sides) Ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
** HELP, Front suspension won't raise (both sides) Ideas?

Ok, well the last 3 days I have had an issue with the charging system, the red battery light, visit workshop stuff. Car was only running at 12.2V for one day, then 11.8 the next day. I replaced the voltage regulator and that didn't fix it so assume it must be the whole alternator. Waiting on a new one of those to come in now.

So now to my new issue, I think the car may have been riding in the lowered position yesterday on my way home from work even with it in the raised position (red light lit up on raise button). I kind of chalked it up to maybe the car shutting systems off due to low voltage and wouldn't allow the car to raise, since my radio also wasn't working.

I get home and get the car jacked up and unplug the battery to change out the voltage regulator, complete that job (to find out it didn't fix the issue) and just lowered the car off the jack and left it as it sat for the night.

This morning I go to get in the car and the front of the car is sitting real low on both passenger and driver side. I start the car and the car didn't raise in the front, the rear is raised but both front sides will not raise. I hit the raise/lower button to put in lowered position then back to raised hoping maybe it would reset something but still no raising.

I can hear the air pump running, so I don't understand why the car isn't raising up in the front.

I had the under tray off to get at the alternator so I started thinking maybe I somehow hit one of the hoses and broke it at the pump causing only the front not to work, but after jacking the car back up and getting at the air compressor all the lines were in tack still that I could see.

I started thinking back to maybe something wasn't working right due to the low voltage even though I had the battery charger hooked to the car while it was running, but that wouldn't make no sense anyway since like I said, the air compressor was running, the front just wouldn't raise.

If it was one side, I would think ok I just had a air strut failure, but I actually have a fairly new Arnott strut on the driver side and it is both sides anyway.

So, my question to you is has anyone had this kind of problem? What was the cause, I am at a loss at the moment. I haven't dug in super deep yet, just jacked the car up and took the wheel off to get at the inner fender liner and checked the hose connections at the air compressor.

****ty situation since I was supposed to be at work at 7am, and normally it wouldn't be a big deal, I would just get in my other car and fix the problem later, but my other car is in a shop for modifications so I am kind of screwed now in the transportation department and not sure what is going on with this thing!!!

Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Only thing I can find from researching is maybe the compressor still runs but isn't producing enough pressure to raise the car? Or some kind of malfunctioning valves for the front of the car, but what are the odds of both fronts malfunctioning really leaving just the pump not making enough pressure.

I actually lowered the car and now the rear isn't going back to the raised position either when I heard the compressor running. Then I shut car off and restarted, hit raise button of and on and pump wouldn't even run on the last try. I feel like the low voltage issue is screwing with me and could be playing a role in this, just not sure if it is the compressor finally going bad or other issues.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005- E55, 2007 GL450, 94 B3000
David, it sounds like your compressor has failed. If it is running, and you are not raising that would be my first item to look at. If you have access to an SDS you can run a pneumatic test of it. It is also adviseable to replace the intake filter when replacing the pump.

I have seen the cases on the pumps crack plenty of times as well. If you still have access to it. You can leak check the case.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the input, I don't have SDS access besides the obvious bringing it to a shop/dealer. Kinda sucks, I don't want to start throwing money/parts at this thing trying to find the problem but I also need to get it going asap. I see Arnott has a pump for $289, wish I knew someone local that I could borrow one from to test before ordering it. And this holiday is killing me too since nothing will come until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Looks like I will be needing to rent a car for several days and throw some more cash out the window, sucks when you own 2
Old 04-04-2015, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
It does sound like the compressor is shot. There is a rebuild kit for the compressor and it is easy to do. Ill look for the link that has a youtube "how to" and that has enough in formation that you might be able to find the rebuild kit local, (unless you are in the Keys)
If you can find the rebuild kit get the relay for the compressor too they tend to burn up as the compressor runs over time.

Found it,

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6351156

Good luck, hey last time I saw you your battery/alternator was bad then....

Last edited by Yacht Master; 04-04-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lol, Elliot's alternator screwed me now!!! I am in Jacksonville, so my options are a little better than the Keys. Nobody local that I called (Advance, Oreilly's, Napa) had a voltage regulator or alternator though, I had to order both, sucks I bought the regulator and it didn't fix the problem. Anybody need a voltage regulator I will sell it to you cheap!! $20 used for 5 min

I knew I should have traded this car in for a Fiat 500 Abarth.

And thanks for more info. Another member is sending me a used compressor he has sitting in the garage to try out, just have to wait until about Tuesday for it to come in. Thanks again Nolan!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, figured I would update this for someone down the road possibly having the same issue. I feel like an idiot for not investigating further before renting a car for 4 days and having a replacement compressor sent to me.

The problem was the rubber hose that connects to the compressor at the end of it closest to driver side of pump. Right where the hose comes off the pump nipple, as in where the hose isn't actually slid over the nipple of the pump where it is clamped, the hose had a crack in it, so the air was just leaking out. I cut about 1" of the hose off and shoved it back up on the nipple of the pump and it works perfect again.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by urbamworm
Ok, figured I would update this for someone down the road possibly having the same issue. I feel like an idiot for not investigating further before renting a car for 4 days and having a replacement compressor sent to me.

The problem was the rubber hose that connects to the compressor at the end of it closest to driver side of pump. Right where the hose comes off the pump nipple, as in where the hose isn't actually slid over the nipple of the pump where it is clamped, the hose had a crack in it, so the air was just leaking out. I cut about 1" of the hose off and shoved it back up on the nipple of the pump and it works perfect again.

Well well well, that was covered in the link I posted even has the part number in the vid
Old 04-09-2015, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, not that plastic hose piece that runs from one side of the pump to the other. There is the plastic fitting that hose connects to that then a rubber hose connects to on the other side. The rubber hose was the problem that goes over to the filter (white piece in pic).

The rubber hose at the top of the pump with the silver clamps on it. The end on the right side of the pump is where my crack was just behind the clamp where the nipple stops inside the hose.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh, man what a price (time, shipping & rent car) to pay for such an easy fix. Looks like that compressor has the updated hard plastic hose too. Agree I hope this helps someone in the future, seems a lot of these leaks are at the compressor.
Well I wish you luck David, and look forward to your Cadi & RBJ"s ttE up at PBIR some day.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Elliot definitely has a Caddy beat down coming his way one of these days
Old 04-16-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Appreciate the updates as I have all 4 of my wheels low at the moment. Was about to order a compressor but will look for cracked hoses first. Thanks again.