BIP 77 Fixed pulley initial impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BC928
Who is helping you in San Diego?
Just brought the car to HGMS yesterday to see if they can work their magic. If Mischa can't fix, I'm not sure who else can!
Old 05-01-2015, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
So do the FSPs do for those of us that live where it tops 100F in the summer? I would be seriously concerned about cooling. I mean the stock clutch shuts of at like 140F AIT right?
Old 05-01-2015, 06:43 PM

W211 E55 AMG
I definitely would not recommend the FSP for anyone who lives in warm year round climate. Maybe if it's only a few summer months it can be manageable! But even at that point I would keep the RPM's down. Even though it produces much more heat, I feel if you keep your foot out of the throttle during commuting it may help a little bit.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 and several 928s
Originally Posted by NafisC
Just brought the car to HGMS yesterday to see if they can work their magic. If Mischa can't fix, I'm not sure who else can!
I live about 4 miles from HG and drive past every day. Sometimes they have some very serious machinery out front.

I do my own work, but it would be good to know if they can deal with some complex issues.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 and several 928s
I definitely would not recommend the FSP for anyone who lives in warm year round climate. Maybe if it's only a few summer months it can be manageable! But even at that point I would keep the RPM's down. Even though it produces much more heat, I feel if you keep your foot out of the throttle during commuting it may help a little bit.
I think FSP is something that should honestly be mixed with some form of chemical cooling of the combustion chamber. Water, or Water and Meth. This is separate from the general idea that e85 would be a great partner for a FSP. With no attainable knock threshold to speak of at this CR and combustion chamber max pressure (people would normally say boost level, but the smart ones know boost pressure is not always directly related to cylinder filling, but how well the cylinder is filling will affect the combustion chamber max pressure)
Old 05-02-2015, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
I live in Texas and I have the fsp. Nuff said

But I'll say more. Cars have had positive displacement blowers for years. In fact that is prefered over centrifugal for car makers. Hardly any have used a clutch until MB came around with this design. The clutch on this engine was not designed to combat heat necessarily, it was designed primarily to increase gas mileage. Te rest with heat control etc etc is just a side benefit

Last edited by kponti; 05-02-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:05 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BC928
I think FSP is something that should honestly be mixed with some form of chemical cooling of the combustion chamber. Water, or Water and Meth. This is separate from the general idea that e85 would be a great partner for a FSP. With no attainable knock threshold to speak of at this CR and combustion chamber max pressure (people would normally say boost level, but the smart ones know boost pressure is not always directly related to cylinder filling, but how well the cylinder is filling will affect the combustion chamber max pressure)
I completely agree. I think it's just the availability of a "bolt on" style kit for the W211 that makes it difficult! If someone could find an effective way of tapping the manifold for a H20/Meth nozzle and nice E85 blend (maybe a little blower porting too ) I think we'd see a lot more of our cars making some healthy power. Who knows, a lot more guys may be able to see numbers close to the 600whp range without needing to sell their right arm to buy a Weistec lol.

But for kponti's comment about the FSP, you have forgotten that anything on Texas soil = "Texas Tough" therefore = MOAR POWAHH
Old 05-04-2015, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Looking forward to your review. So far I've had the 74mm pulley on for 4 months already, yet unable to enjoy/review it. Does anyone think the FSP has the ability to cause an engine not to start?

It died on me and I've been unable to turn the car back on for an entire month, taking it today to have ECU reflashed again in hopes that it allows the motor to start.
Did this happen immediately after uploading a tune? Any messages/lights on the dash?

I've loaded a lot of tunes on my car, and one time the file didn't write correctly. The car would not even crank over. When that happens, you can't reflash it yourself. I had to mail my ECU in to Jerry and he fixed it pronto. If that's the case, the good news is that the ECU is super easy to remove and the turn-around time is a few days or a week, at most.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:36 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Denroll
Did this happen immediately after uploading a tune? Any messages/lights on the dash?

I've loaded a lot of tunes on my car, and one time the file didn't write correctly. The car would not even crank over. When that happens, you can't reflash it yourself. I had to mail my ECU in to Jerry and he fixed it pronto. If that's the case, the good news is that the ECU is super easy to remove and the turn-around time is a few days or a week, at most.
Hey Denroll,

Turns out the techs at MB installed the fuel assembly incorrectly A new starter motor is going in the car tomorrow so hopefully she starts up ready to eat some pavement!
Old 05-05-2015, 05:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Hey Denroll,

Turns out the techs at MB installed the fuel assembly incorrectly A new starter motor is going in the car tomorrow so hopefully she starts up ready to eat some pavement!
Subscribed..... I want to see photos of the pavement and the fine from the cops
Old 05-05-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
cls55 amg
Update

Hey guys,

I want to provide an update now that I'm 3 weeks into running the FSP and BIP tune... I have been holding off replying to this thread because I was waiting to get some things worked out, specifically a surge at 1800 rpms after the 1-2 shift but now that's taken care of I think its a good time to follow up on my original post.

So after going through and resetting the ecu adaptations and then speaking with Tony this afternoon about the issue, he sent me a new tune within an hour of our conversation and now everything is great and the surge is gone. (I'll mention the great customer service from BIP one more time)
Now I know others have had issues in the past with the FSP and the tuning but I can tell you, those issues have all been addressed. I've driven my car 1800 miles in the past 3 weeks since installing it, including an 8 hr round-trip drive that included a blast to 165 mph, and haven't had a problem.

I can't speak for the tunes from other tuners but I can say that anyone considering going with an FSP should feel comfortable with the results they will get from BIP, including the great customer service. I hope this helps anyone who's on the fence about the FSP.

-RMH

P.S. I've had two valet drivers in the past two weeks come back and tell me the car is a beast and the throttle response is scary lol

Last edited by romeomikehotel; 05-05-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 PM

2006 E55 AMG
So, your tune has been perfected without the need for wideband logging?
Old 05-05-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
cls55 amg
Originally Posted by uraberg
So, your tune has been perfected without the need for wideband logging?
Yea as far as I'm concerned the WOT tuning is pretty basic for a professional tuner. I've had heavily modified cars that had a need but I just don't see it here, especially for a conservative tune. I am monitoring IAT's and timing though.
My main concern was drive ability as I drive every day for work and as of now it's great.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:52 AM

e55 amg, gmc acadia, wrx, integra
Def my next mod when my warranty expires. either I ship the car to bip or drive it there myself lol
Old 05-08-2015, 05:15 PM

E55 AMG + Mustang GT
Originally Posted by hank55
Def my next mod when my warranty expires. either I ship the car to bip or drive it there myself lol
If you have the time, drive it over there yourself Good group of guys over there at BIP
Old 05-09-2015, 01:44 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Faulty Engine Computer

Originally Posted by romeomikehotel
Hey guys,

I want to provide an update now that I'm 3 weeks into running the FSP and BIP tune... I have been holding off replying to this thread because I was waiting to get some things worked out, specifically a surge at 1800 rpms after the 1-2 shift but now that's taken care of I think its a good time to follow up on my original post.

So after going through and resetting the ecu adaptations and then speaking with Tony this afternoon about the issue, he sent me a new tune within an hour of our conversation and now everything is great and the surge is gone. (I'll mention the great customer service from BIP one more time)
Now I know others have had issues in the past with the FSP and the tuning but I can tell you, those issues have all been addressed. I've driven my car 1800 miles in the past 3 weeks since installing it, including an 8 hr round-trip drive that included a blast to 165 mph, and haven't had a problem.

I can't speak for the tunes from other tuners but I can say that anyone considering going with an FSP should feel comfortable with the results they will get from BIP, including the great customer service. I hope this helps anyone who's on the fence about the FSP.

-RMH

P.S. I've had two valet drivers in the past two weeks come back and tell me the car is a beast and the throttle response is scary lol
Glad to see such a a great review! Hoping I have your success!!! Do post more when you have the chance in a couple more weeks

Quick question to anyone of this thread, and really, to anyone on the forum. Have any of you guys had any experience/ or heard of dead ECU problems on the 211? My ECU is fried and now I have to shell out $2000+ and wait on shipping from Germany for another one .

Apparently the current DME (ECU) in the car was holding my injectors open. When we tried manually cranking the motor all cylinders were full with fuel.

However, what can make an ECU malfunction and die over time? It looks like no water/residue or anything of that sort has gotten into the box, so does anyone know why the ECU could be going haywire?? At this point it's really a mute point, but it just seems like such an odd problem for this car. Does it not? Please correct me if I'm wrong! Last thing I want to do is replace this ECU and be subject to the same dilemma all over again. After searching the deepest, darkest crevices of MBWorld, I have really only found one other person with a similar problem as mine (having to replace an entire faulty ECU to get the car to start).

Sorry for the long text, just hoping to get my 4 month long issues ironed out already!