CA Smog test ODB2 only - Tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 and several 928s
CA Smog test ODB2 only - Tune?

So the new rules state that the E55 will only require a visual inspection, and a check of ODB2 ready codes (as far as I know).

Does anyone have any personal experiences with these new tests? Did you also have an ECU tune of any sort?

I believe from what I have read, that the ODB2 test will only be a ready-codes test, and should not "See" if the ecu hex files have been modified.

What I wonder is if the test will "see" if things like the post-cat o2 sensor has been turned off (can you do that?) or if you have cleared things in SDS for removing air pumps, etc.

Purely academic.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by BC928
So the new rules state that the E55 will only require a visual inspection, and a check of ODB2 ready codes (as far as I know).

Does anyone have any personal experiences with these new tests? Did you also have an ECU tune of any sort?

I believe from what I have read, that the ODB2 test will only be a ready-codes test, and should not "See" if the ecu hex files have been modified.

What I wonder is if the test will "see" if things like the post-cat o2 sensor has been turned off (can you do that?) or if you have cleared things in SDS for removing air pumps, etc.

Purely academic.
You will be fine as long as visually u are straight and no cel's. Having a tune will not have an effect on passing having said that I'm not sure of your outcome if you've had your second O2 sensors shut off.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 and several 928s
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
You will be fine as long as visually u are straight and no cel's. Having a tune will not have an effect on passing having said that I'm not sure of your outcome if you've had your second O2 sensors shut off.
Right. Good point. Probably cannot create a ready on o2 with removing sensors (is that possible?) How do people go with no primaries? Or with "less cell" primaries? I have no issue with 100 or 200 cell primaries - they just won't be exactly in the same place.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by BC928
Right. Good point. Probably cannot create a ready on o2 with removing sensors (is that possible?) How do people go with no primaries? Or with "less cell" primaries? I have no issue with 100 or 200 cell primaries - they just won't be exactly in the same place.
I have the angled rear O2 extensions. Front sensors are in as well as the rear but with the angled extensions it takes the rear sensors out of the airflow enough to give two different readings