E63 Long Tube & Cats Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
E63 Long Tube & Cats Question

I ordered a set of MBH long tubes for my 63. I have a question regarding secondary cats. With my 55's I have always ran 200 cell Vibrant race cats in place of the secondary cats.

I saw today an E55 guy ran his long tubes through the secondary cats. I assumed they were a 600-800 cell cat. I know they are a different material then the primary cats internally. Any one have any input on this? I wouldn't mind saving a couple hundred bucks and the time welding in the Vibrant cats if the stock secondaries are not as restrictive as I'm thinking they are. Going catless is not an option. I can't stand the smell.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
M3
I'm LongTube and catless (Xpipe stright back to stock mufflers), I've had many catless cars and I'm not sure stock secondary cats would stop the smell of a primary cat delete. Especially on the M156, even when I had stock headers and primary cats in place with secondary cats and resonator delete the car would smell like fire works after reving it out.

For me I just can't go back to primary cats after the sound and power gain of deleting them, though the smell does get old sitting at stop lights. But the sounds and flames it throws now over rides the smell for now anyway.

Keep us updated on what you go with. Also if you didn't know I'm the guy you were talking to about buying my headers, decided to keep them and put them on after you bought yours, have fun with the install, if you do it your self it's really not so hard.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
Ya. That's cool you got them installed. I'm a MB tech for a living. Install should be no big deal. Secondaries alone will take care of the smell and quiet the car down a little bit. I p/med the guy that had ran his to the stock secondaries. His car runs high 10s on sticky tires so I doubt hes loosing too much.

Since I deleted the resonator the car is going to be loud if I go with the Vibrants or the stockers. My SL and CL with the Vibrants were pretty quiet under light throttle, but WOT was loud as hell. Which is what I'm going for. My only concern is the restrictiveness of the stock secondaries.

Either way I will have track and Dynojet numbers after install and retune from Eurocharged. I'm not sure if they change anything fueling or timing wise, but I will need the rear 02s ignored.

So you ran your headers with the cats you had for sale correct?
Old 04-08-2015, 08:28 PM

M3
Interested to know more about who's running 10's and with what setup if it's a 63? After long tubes a tune and sticky tires all I can think of doing is spray, and I plan to do some testing with a 55 style intake.

Can't wait see some numbers, I haven't gotten a tune yet and will have to wait cause I'm away from home working.

I'm running no cats at all (love it so far, sounds stock till I rev it out), I had a straight section to replace the cats and thought why not throw them on for a while and see if I like it. I drove around for 2 days with straight headers dumping under the car so I figured the sound and fumes couldn't be worse than that (it was a horrible 2 days minus the roar it made at 6k rpm).
Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
My god... I'm sure that was loud as hell. The guy that I sent the p/m to suggest I post on the C63 forum which I thought was a good idea since they all have the 156. First response was a guy with a Clk 500 with quad exhaust asking the mods me to move my post to the W211 forum.

How ****ing annoying. I suggest he be sent back to the Clk part of the the forum with quad exhaust. I know there are C63 guys making fast passes. It seems a few of them are track cars that have been lightened majorly.

11.70s seem to be the staple for long tubes and a tune with the E63s. My SL ran 12.40s at 115 with a 1.8 60 foot. I only was able to make 3 passes. I'm interested in spraying a 100 shot. I'll get the headers on and look in to it.

I do a lot more roll racing then drag strip, so I don't see an LSD in my future. You pay 50 bucks and make 3 passes over 5 hours unless you can get out on a Wednesday. The Cars in Coffee in Redmond is real fun on the freeways after.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Here's a E63 with no resonators and Eisenmann exhaust. LT's and modified stock mufflers will make your car a tad louder but still sound good.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by M-Theory
Interested to know more about who's running 10's and with what setup if it's a 63? After long tubes a tune and sticky tires all I can think of doing is spray, and I plan to do some testing with a 55 style intake.

Can't wait see some numbers, I haven't gotten a tune yet and will have to wait cause I'm away from home working.

I'm running no cats at all (love it so far, sounds stock till I rev it out), I had a straight section to replace the cats and thought why not throw them on for a while and see if I like it. I drove around for 2 days with straight headers dumping under the car so I figured the sound and fumes couldn't be worse than that (it was a horrible 2 days minus the roar it made at 6k rpm).
He was talking about me. I would love to see a non turbo E63 or Weistec'd run 10's. If I were you n/a E63 guys I would talk to the C63's guys to copy their setups. I know weight is a factor which is why the C63 guys are quicker & faster.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:06 PM

M3
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
He was talking about me. I would love to see a non turbo E63 or Weistec'd run 10's. If I were you n/a E63 guys I would talk to the C63's guys to copy their setups. I know weight is a factor which is why the C63 guys are quicker & faster.
Setup wise it's usually all the same for a M156:

LTH
exhaust (x pipe, cat delete etc..)
Charcoal filter delete
Tune
Under drive pulley (rare)
Drag radials

After that all there is, Nitorius, S/C..

Like you said it's all in the weight, they already weigh 500 pounds -/+ less than the E, plus they get heavy into weight reduction mods so who knows how much less they weigh.

I'd be happy with a really low 11 N/a and I'd love to dip into the 10's If I decide to spray.

Would you happen to know the fastest E/T run by an M156 E?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by M-Theory
Setup wise it's usually all the same for a M156:

LTH
exhaust (x pipe, cat delete etc..)
Charcoal filter delete
Tune
Under drive pulley (rare)
Drag radials

After that all there is, Nitorius, S/C..

Like you said it's all in the weight, they already weigh 500 pounds -/+ less than the E, plus they get heavy into weight reduction mods so who knows how much less they weigh.

I'd be happy with a really low 11 N/a and I'd love to dip into the 10's If I decide to spray.

Would you happen to know the fastest E/T run by an M156 E?
I haven't checked in years but the last time I checked oldgixxer ran 11.8 or something like that
Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
I tried posting in the C63 part of the forum and it got moved here for reasons unknown to mankind.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:55 PM

M3
Originally Posted by layzie12g
I tried posting in the C63 part of the forum and it got moved here for reasons unknown to mankind.
Yea I saw that, it makes no sense. Your point was to post there for engine related questions, not body style, I'm not sure why the mods don't see that.

There should be a strictly M156 section as well as other motor specific sections , this would bring the whole community together.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by layzie12g
Maybe go on drag times.com and search for c63's and you might find your answers there
Old 04-23-2015, 10:22 AM

M3
Here is my E63 with open headers, was a long loud 2 days. I'll have to get video of the finished product.

Embedded link keeps crashing on my phone for some reason.

http://youtu.be/Ai98AcdF_Ks
Old 04-23-2015, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes Benz E63
Your car looks good. You know its loud when you have **** falling off your walls. Mine shipped Wednesday.