My 80mm FSP saga

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2015 | 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
My 80mm FSP saga

So I have had a 80mm FSP since Nov/Dec of last year. This is in addition to a 82mm TB, Kleemann headers, and the usual supporting mods (BWK, Split cooling with FTP HE, etc etc).

Prior to the FSP, my problems were the same as everyone else. An occasional light due to the 82m TB, other random crap failing an getting replaced, and a weird thing where the car stumbles on turns with less than a quarter tank of gas etc etc
So when I got the FSP, first start was great (installed after work one day). Driving was simply awesome that night!
The following day however was a bust. Cold start issues (I didn't realize at the time what it was). I emailed Tony and got a different tune. That did not even touch the shift lag it was supposed to fix and the cold start was still evident.

I got to reading and found out about shift lags and cold starts on this forum. Reset the ECU and started waiting 10 seconds before starting the car and viola, cold start problems 100% eliminated. Shift lag was still there.
3rd map from Tony made the cold start a 50% of the time issue but introduced a new issue....hiccups while cruising.

Now at this point I started looking for other reasons why I am having a fueling issue. I have the PLX wideband with iMFD datalogger installed so I can see whats happening on the gauge but the datalogging feature was not working properly.
So I rerouted and fixed my vacuum hoses as well as my crank vents back into the intake rubber Y.
I had the fuel tank, pumps and sending units replaced under the extended warranty.
I replaced the fuel dampner that was leaking as well.

During this time, I got a 4th map from Tony. I plugged in the supercharger plug and eliminated the resistor with this map. Gas mileage went waaaaay up. But WOT went into the 13s and 14s (this happened the moment I plugged the supercharger in, even before I uploaded map number 4).
This map sort of eliminated the hiccups in a reactionary way. Meaning the hiccup will happen then the car will correct itself but not fast enough so I will get a CEL and the correction is not complete (looking at my wideband gauge). Similar things happening with the cold start (self correction after the fact).

EDIT (since some people would rather remain clueless): After the first 3 maps that Tony sent me did not even touch any of my problems he asked me when was the last time I change my fuel filter. It had been at least 40,000 miles or more and the fuel pumps had never been changed. he then told me to check the fuel pressure because he had a suspicion my fuel system may be contributing to this problem. I tossed a bottle of seafoam into the tank and wallah my issues were gone! no more cold start no more hiccups however my shift lags on the other hand continued to happen

Then finally got the parts replaced for my datalogger to work as well.

Made a few logs and sent to Tony. He sent me my 5th map based on the datalog. So far NO cold start issues in over 10 cold starts in weather ranging from mid 50s to mid 80s all in a week (welcome to Texas). Definitely not a hint of a hiccup. Shift lag is over 75 percent eliminated. The main difference being the datalogs.

I was ready to get rid of the FSP and even texted Craig about purchasing a 77mm clutched pulley but now I think I will be looking at a 74mm FSP with meth instead.

EDIT: so no its not a vacuum problem, its not a 82 millimeter throttle body problem in fact outside of fuel it's usually a tune problem you need data logging. dyno tune will not fix the problem

My wot is in the mid 12s in warm to hot weather, and in the mid to high 13s in 50 degrees so and I am waiting for an update for that with a touch up of my shifting. Other than those, its damn near perfect. I cannot go WOT until its all fixed up but its driving great again. Very thankful for BIP (Tony and Craig) for hanging in there with me and getting this worked out (almost)!

If you want an FSP, get good data-logging and get good logs to send. Tony will most likely fix your problems

Last edited by kponti; 04-30-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2015 | 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
sounds good worked with tony on my buddy George's car he has the fixed pulley since the fall no issues.
Old 04-30-2015 | 08:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Benz
Wait.... So seafoam in every tank wasn't the fix?!
Old 04-30-2015 | 08:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
are the mutiple maps from BIP all included in the original purchase or is this a custom tune process and at what hr/rate ?
Old 04-30-2015 | 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
2006 E55, Various other German and ‘Murican
But essentially, if you were to pay for the time to have them changing the tune in real-time - this would not be a problem - unless I misunderstand and this is not possible.
Old 04-30-2015 | 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by BC928
But essentially, if you were to pay for the time to have them changing the tune in real-time - this would not be a problem - unless I misunderstand and this is not possible.
It won't be in real time. Get some logs, email to Tony, get another map back modified to fix issues found in your logs
Old 05-01-2015 | 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ford lightning
if anyone is in the eastern pa area bring the car to me I can do all the logging and set it up with tony at bip for a remote tune. Its hard not to want a fixed pulley after you drive a car with one.
Old 05-01-2015 | 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by 99lightning
if anyone is in the eastern pa area bring the car to me I can do all the logging and set it up with tony at bip for a remote tune. Its hard not to want a fixed pulley after you drive a car with one.
I just wish there was someone near me who was familiar enough to do this (and not a direct competitor). This has made my issues with the fsp prolonged. I would have gladly dropped off my car for a week or two to get the issues fixed.

No BIP did not charge me for the updated maps. However my car never actually ran properly since the fsp went on. Now I can to get a remote dyno tune done.
The reason I am getting a dyno tune after getting it to run right is that it's very difficult to replicate the problems on a dyno. Do you leave the car strapped on someone's dyno overnight and have Tony hooked in the following day to get the cold start problem appear so he can tune it out? Do you have the car driven to simulate cruising and hope its enough to get a hiccup to occur on the dyno and have Tony standing by to tune it out when it occurs?
Yeah these two issues (the main issues that made me almost hate the fsp) are best captured on a datalog street driving.
The shift lag and wot tuning on the other hand can easily be fixed on a dyno (hence my dyno tuning after the fix)
Old 05-01-2015 | 10:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
@99Lightning I think I might be interested.
Im not that far away.
One question I don't see FSP in your signature..
Old 05-01-2015 | 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ford lightning
I do not have the fsp my buddy George does on his car. bip did the tunes for when he was clutched and now he has the fixed pulley again, since fall, he drives the hell out of it I posted the video about a month ago of me driving it stomping a corvette we had 2 passengers in the car as well.
Old 05-01-2015 | 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
What CEl from the 82mm TB?
Old 05-01-2015 | 12:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Land Cruiser, LC200
Originally Posted by 1ForcedBenz
Wait.... So seafoam in every tank wasn't the fix?!
lol, good one...
Old 05-01-2015 | 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by jmb614
What CEl from the 82mm TB?
The MAP sensor code. coincidentally the same code I get when the car goes into limp mode with the FSP.

With just the TB, I would get the cel and it would go away by itself with no issues, just the cel. With the FSP, if the MAP cel came on, the car was usually barely drivable
Old 05-01-2015 | 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
So, just to make sure, you are running with the resistor gone and the magnet plugged in like with the clutched pulley? Neat.
Old 05-01-2015 | 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by Denroll
So, just to make sure, you are running with the resistor gone and the magnet plugged in like with the clutched pulley? Neat.
Yes supercharger plug is in just like there is a clutched pulley.
Old 05-01-2015 | 09:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
lightning if you dont mind PM me your number please
Old 06-08-2015 | 05:53 PM

04 55
anyone have any updates on doing fixed these days ? -- seems like BIP had some stuff figured out but still not 100% depending on the additional mods ? any update would be helpful/informative -- i am just trying to find out a stable setup -- thanks
Old 06-08-2015 | 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
So far mine has been very good. I just got an updated map, hopefully give me more fuel at WOT and I will be good till I can get a dyno tune scheduled. I decided against a smaller than 80mm pulley. Instead I will switch to a MBH set of headers and that will complete my mods
Old 06-09-2015 | 08:28 AM

04 55
keep us updated as you go please -- issues, good bad ugly -- yjanks
Old 06-09-2015 | 09:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Land Cruiser, LC200
I just happened to notice a good deal over here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/engine-pe...0-shipped.html

Old 06-11-2015 | 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Got a new map a couple of days ago. Drives very similarly to the last great map IE little to no issues
The only issues I have had so far and I think it is actually a non-issue at this time is this: I get the hiccup a few times within the first 50 plus miles after resetting adaptations and/or loading a new map. Unlike before, it corrects itself almost immediately. It is basically back to normal within a second and all I feel is the jerk.
All that practically goes away after 50 plus miles and its back to better than stock drivability.

WOT is still a bit lean IMO so I am waiting for an update to add more fuel there
Old 06-11-2015 | 10:00 AM

04 55
thanks for the update -- it sounds more refined than it was but does not create a feeling of confidence if you still have the minor issues you describe --
Old 06-11-2015 | 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by new55
thanks for the update -- it sounds more refined than it was but does not create a feeling of confidence if you still have the minor issues you describe --
I can honestly say it is a lot more refined and smoother driving than with the stock clutched pulley. I did get a hiccup/jerk with the stock pulley but I also had the 82mm TB. The difference is, it was soooo minor and infrequent I never even bothered with it unless I get a MAP sensor code.
With the current FSP and map, I do not even get the MAP error code anymore but the jerk is more pronounced. After about 50-60 miles, I do not get it at all.

I have had the old good map for more than a month and over 1000miles with NO issues except I needed more fuel at WOT
Old 07-24-2015 | 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Soooo an update:

After I heard that BIP is no more, it explained why I wasnt hearing back from Tony with a map update to fix my WOT lean issue.
I got in touch with UDP and got a 77mm clutched pulley. Removed FSP and installed clutched.

Less than a week after that, I got an email from Tony stating he is purchasing the equipment from Jason and starting his own. He wanted to get my tune completed.
I informed him that I have switched back to clutched and didnt want to go back to the fsp.

He got me a map for the clutched 77mm and damn the car moves!
Feel much much stronger than the 80mm pulley and I am not sure why. Also feels smoother than either the 84 clutched or the 80 fsp (also do not know why that is).
But so far I am liking the 77mm tune much much better and the car is flying with it.

I will say after I loaded the tune, the difference between the 80mm FSP and the 77mm clutched is like when I went from stock tuned to 84mm tuned. Huge butt feel!

I am back to recommending Tony and his tunes!
Old 07-24-2015 | 12:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
What BIP is no more? How comes?
So Tony has a new company called what? Thanks for the update.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 80mm FSP saga