W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Track Day - E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2015 | 11:18 PM

W211 E55 Wagon, E46 M3
Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
I mounted it centered on the sunroof but the mirror was blocking the trackview. I'll try next time over the passenger seat like you did. I'll post that video soon. You know that gearbox well
Ah, have you tried using extensions from the gopro grab bag (assuming you have a gopro) to lower the camera a bit. I had no problems with the rear view mirror even when mounting it in the center (when I have a passenger)

Thanks! those downshifts in that vid weren't my best, I was wearing my sneakers because I always forget to put on my piloti so my blips were a lil off

can't wait to see more vids!
Old 06-11-2015 | 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I just realized my rotors have changed colors...anybody else have this happen?

Old 06-11-2015 | 01:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
It's an initial sign of casting fatigue.
Old 06-11-2015 | 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I just realized my rotors have changed colors...anybody else have this happen?
Usually a bright dark blue. You must have had some serious heat in them.
Old 06-11-2015 | 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I didn't get fade, but I did get some vibration through the wheel towards the end of the day. I can say I went through 40-50% of the front pads and they started to break apart in small chunks. The brakes feel fine on the road (I can't lay into them too hard in ATL traffic). I really need to go 2-pc with better pads/fluid. My wheels went from clean to caked in brake dust. Brake fluid is also a bit dark, but not too bad. I need to have it flushed (again )
Old 06-16-2015 | 11:55 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
We are forming a bunch of track guys over in C63 group here:

To All Who Track Their Car

This package allows C63 owner to upgrade their 360/330mm 1pc rotor to 390/360mm RB two piece rotors, still cut down a lot of weight.

Package includes brake pads (option for track compound), stainless brake line, Motul or Castrol SRF brake fluid, everything you need for track activity in a package.
Old 06-16-2015 | 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by RacingBrake
We are forming a bunch of track guys over in C63 group here:

To All Who Track Their Car

This package allows C63 owner to upgrade their 360/330mm 1pc rotor to 390/360mm RB two piece rotors, still cut down a lot of weight.

Package includes brake pads (option for track compound), stainless brake line, Motul or Castrol SRF brake fluid, everything you need for track activity in a package.
And this means what to E55 owners
Old 06-16-2015 | 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I didn't get fade, but I did get some vibration through the wheel towards the end of the day. I can say I went through 40-50% of the front pads and they started to break apart in small chunks. The brakes feel fine on the road (I can't lay into them too hard in ATL traffic). I really need to go 2-pc with better pads/fluid. My wheels went from clean to caked in brake dust. Brake fluid is also a bit dark, but not too bad. I need to have it flushed (again )
My friend now that you have the bug

Get some NEW rotors, please dont waste money on cyro or slotted/dimpled/drilled rotors, as NO one in the racing circle uses them.

Drilled are my favorite as they ALWAYS crack around the holes after a hard track day.

But by ALL means at least by EBC red pads, aka street/track.

If you really have the bug, try yellows, or Hawk or pagid RACE pads.

Just dont let friends drive on them, as they take some heat before they stop.

Not really that bad, but the first couple of stops are a longer distance.
Old 06-17-2015 | 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
My friend now that you have the bug

Get some NEW rotors, please dont waste money on cyro or slotted/dimpled/drilled rotors, as NO one in the racing circle uses them.

Drilled are my favorite as they ALWAYS crack around the holes after a hard track day.

But by ALL means at least by EBC red pads, aka street/track.

If you really have the bug, try yellows, or Hawk or pagid RACE pads.

Just dont let friends drive on them, as they take some heat before they stop.

Not really that bad, but the first couple of stops are a longer distance.
Which rotors do you recommend? For the price of OEM rotors I am thinking aggressive pads, better fluid and cooling ducts (minimal, but it should help). I don't let friends drive the E anyways.
Old 06-17-2015 | 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

W221
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Glad to see others toss their 55K's around a twisty track.

To alleviate the brake issue...I ran Porterfield R4S pads with Castrol SRF brake fluid with 2 piece rotors. I was able to run 5+ laps on multiple sessions throughout the day with NO fade what so ever. Having coilovers and R-comp tires helped out the car A LOT as well. A rear seat delete as well as having a CK bucket seat helps shed some weight.

Great runs! Don't mean to highjack your thread but it's super nice to see other 55K's running their cars at the twisty track.

Old 06-17-2015 | 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
ANOTHER ONE THAT TRACKS A 55K

It's a pretty fun car the blast around the track in. I'm not sure why I enjoy it more than anything else I've tracked but I will admit...it hits the spot. I would like to lose weight but it's my DD and ditching the seats would not go over well. Moving to a lighter rim would help. Handling is a bit soft but I can't really complain. Sport II and lowered 1.75" make it pretty flat around the corners. My favorite thing is 2nd gear 5-6,000RPM and pin the throttle in manual mode and shift right at red line and the torque in third is just stunning.
Old 06-17-2015 | 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Glad to see others toss their 55K's around a twisty track.

To alleviate the brake issue...I ran Porterfield R4S pads with Castrol SRF brake fluid with 2 piece rotors. I was able to run 5+ laps on multiple sessions throughout the day with NO fade what so ever. Having coilovers and R-comp tires helped out the car A LOT as well. A rear seat delete as well as having a CK bucket seat helps shed some weight.

Great runs! Don't mean to highjack your thread but it's super nice to see other 55K's running their cars at the twisty track.

Oh you show off

JK my friend, but serious tape on the headlights? They are cheap afterall, well okay somewhat cheap these days
Old 06-17-2015 | 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Which rotors do you recommend? For the price of OEM rotors I am thinking aggressive pads, better fluid and cooling ducts (minimal, but it should help). I don't let friends drive the E anyways.
Rotors, well to be honest, which ever brand works for you. I actually like autozone 1 year rotors. I fry them at a race or two, and they give me new ones.

I would go to rockauto and see what they offer for the 55. Just keep in mind, the rotor for the car at that weight is simply too small for track events. As such whatever you buy will fry.

IF you are serious, remove the fog lights, and buy maximum motorsports universal brake duct get. It gives you generic scoops, duct tubing, and caliper mounts, that you WILL have to modify.

Best of my knowledge, NO ONE builds MB cooling duct kits for the brakes. Maybe try Kleenman, or Rentech. Evosposrt did for awhile but they are history.

As BB said above, get some R type tires, think treadware less than 60 and REALLY let the fun begin. With R tires you will drop on average 2 seconds a lap, aka MORE FUN.

For a heavy car, stay away form Hoosier's. You will eat them up in one event.

Kuhmo Victoracers are a great choice for a tank like ours, LOL
Old 06-17-2015 | 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Rotors, well to be honest, which ever brand works for you. I actually like autozone 1 year rotors. I fry them at a race or two, and they give me new ones.

I would go to rockauto and see what they offer for the 55. Just keep in mind, the rotor for the car at that weight is simply too small for track events. As such whatever you buy will fry.

IF you are serious, remove the fog lights, and buy maximum motorsports universal brake duct get. It gives you generic scoops, duct tubing, and caliper mounts, that you WILL have to modify.

Best of my knowledge, NO ONE builds MB cooling duct kits for the brakes. Maybe try Kleenman, or Rentech. Evosposrt did for awhile but they are history.

As BB said above, get some R type tires, think treadware less than 60 and REALLY let the fun begin. With R tires you will drop on average 2 seconds a lap, aka MORE FUN.

For a heavy car, stay away form Hoosier's. You will eat them up in one event.

Kuhmo Victoracers are a great choice for a tank like ours, LOL
I use the fog lights but I plan on running a side mounted inlet for the brake ducts. The front bumper has quite a bit of wasted space that I could retrofit something small. SBC Unit also needs some airflow so that is also in the works.

Old 06-17-2015 | 07:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
And this means what to E55 owners
We are planning to offer E55/E63 owners for the same upgrade i.e. re-use front OE calipers and add a new OE rear calipers to up-size your existing 360F/330R rotors to 390F/360R brake kits.

This set up will substantially increase the thermal capacity of your brake while still save you tons of unsprung weight comparing to stock 1pc with smaller size.

Not only this will update your brakes to the newest models it's deemed to be the fundamental solution against any potential brake issue than other attempts being discussed here.
Old 06-17-2015 | 10:29 PM

W211 E55 Wagon, E46 M3
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi

more amg track photos!!!
Old 06-18-2015 | 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by RacingBrake
We are planning to offer E55/E63 owners for the same upgrade i.e. re-use front OE calipers and add a new OE rear calipers to up-size your existing 360F/330R rotors to 390F/360R brake kits.

This set up will substantially increase the thermal capacity of your brake while still save you tons of unsprung weight comparing to stock 1pc with smaller size.

Not only this will update your brakes to the newest models it's deemed to be the fundamental solution against any potential brake issue than other attempts being discussed here.
The up sizing is fantastic and thank you

But please don't go on about weight savings on rotors in a 4400+ car.

AsI explained to Evosport about their carbo fibers rotors, Michael Schumacher would not be able to tell the difference.

An for Heavens sake, please don't try that 4:1 theory on unsprung weight. It has been done to death with NO results.

Thanks again for another product/choice for the MERC crowd!!
Old 06-19-2015 | 07:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLS550
Brake upgrade thread is up:

E55/E63 Brake Upgrade to S63/S65
Old 06-20-2015 | 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Here are a few of my favorites from RA. Take a look at the third photo.

The rotor is turning colors due to heat (just did a 130-60MPH)

Old 06-20-2015 | 12:09 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

'06 E55 AMG
Wow, killer shot of the rotor.
Old 08-28-2015 | 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I had some fun...getting a bit quicker.

Old 08-28-2015 | 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Old 08-28-2015 | 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Looks really fun. Your driving the car better. Seems like the first,time you were mashing the gas then the brakes. Now your using your brakes less and not carrying the speed into all the turns. A lot better for the car and your exit speeds are probably close to the same. A few of those cars were getting too loose for me. The guy that ran off the track was fish tailing when he went by you.
Old 08-29-2015 | 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG
Looks really fun. Your driving the car better. Seems like the first,time you were mashing the gas then the brakes. Now your using your brakes less and not carrying the speed into all the turns. A lot better for the car and your exit speeds are probably close to the same. A few of those cars were getting too loose for me. The guy that ran off the track was fish tailing when he went by you.
I adjusted my lines a little bit to "widen" the corners. Didn't bury my foot right out of the corner and used the brakes softer and earlier to control the brake tempuratures. I am going out again Sept 16'th and should have my brake overhaul completed by then which should help shave some time off and allow me to run a little quicker and not be worried about fade.

I am about to order 2-pc Girodisc for the rear as the fronts are in great shape. I plan on running Carbotech XP20's upfront and XP10's in the rear with a much better fluid.
Old 08-30-2015 | 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Very nice!! What are your IAT's after a few laps? That's crazy that just the EC cooler is enough for you in that heat.

Last edited by SICAMG; 08-30-2015 at 05:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Day - E55