Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experienced tranny "failure mode"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experienced tranny "failure mode"

Drove the 04 to Illinois over the weekend (900 miles) in my 2200 mile car. 4 total passengers +luggage. Went to overtake a semi in a long convoy. Accelerated from about 70 to 100 mph, then had to brake when the hole closed too quickly. Car was in the middle of the 4-5 upshift when I hit the brakes. The car felt like braking against a huge flywheel and then I experienced a sudden driveline "clunk" and release of the tranny.

Car felt exactly like a manual popping out of gear. I was driving in "S" mode and did not touch the paddle shifters/drive lever. I switched from D to N back to D and nothing. Coasted to a rest area and to a complete stop. Shifted to P and then R and noticed the tranny engaging (rpm drop when in R). Went back to D and car then ran fine again. Tele-aid/roadside had no idea what happene. My wife read in the manual about the car having a "limp home" mode for the tranny which allows gears 1 and 2 but no higher. Calls for you to shut off the car for 10minutes and then it should reset. Mine reset without a shut off. Roadside said get it check when possible but no rush.

This to me is a real issue. If the car was to go into this mode again, like in the midst of a turn on the race-track the ensuing lift-off oversteer could lead to a catastrophic spin. As soon as I get home the car will go to service for a code scan (no error messages came up on the instrument cluster).

Eugene
Old 01-25-2004, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
i'm guessing that the tranny got confused when it was in the middle of shifting from 4-5 then you hit the brakes and it had to downshift to compensate for engine speed. Hope nothing was damaged internally because it was in the process of switching the gears and then it had to drop what it was doing to get to another gear.

probably should be fine though, just probably tranny got confused as to what it should do.

-G-
Old 01-25-2004, 07:15 PM

'02 C32 AMG
same thing happened to me in the c32, only my passenger was messing around and accidently shut the car off when i was going like 85, i started it back up in N and shifted to drive and nothing happened, had to put in park and restart the car for it to work
Old 01-29-2004, 01:44 AM

Dealership ran diagnostics and got an error code from the shifting module. They replaced it and the car should be back to normal.