W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Not finding a 2009 E63 P030 so...(warning - long winded)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2015 | 09:06 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Not finding a 2009 E63 P030 so...(warning - long winded)

I hope I am not breaking any rules here. I am posting this in the W211 section as I notice that a number of folks here have, or have had, an AMG CLS. So here goes.....

I posted in the classifieds for a WTB 2009 E63 P030. Had some good leads, but no cigar. I have patience; been looking since last year and really even longer than that. I determined my "holy grail" was a black/black or gray/black 2009 E63 P030 and I would hold out to get one. I did miss one or two that were totally my fault (was travelling for work), but recently there just hasn't been any good candidates that fit my bill that the owner will actually part with.

I have long wanted a W211. So, while I still really like the W211 and the iconic MB styling, I started noticing the W219, and the more I look at it, the more I like it. In my WTB post, a member offered his BEAUTIFUL CLS55 P030 and, at the time, the CLS just wasn't on my radar. I think I'm now, after a long E search, in the market for a CLS. I've driven a few E55s and a few E63s in my search but not so much the CLS. Visually inspected a few of them and rode in one, but assume there are familial similarities with the E.

Fast forward to today....I've been reading and researching the CLS on this forum and other resources. There certainly isn't as much info about the W219 as there is the W211, but I assume some truisms span the models. Assume same issues with the E55 motor/tranny will likely be the same with the CLS55. Same for the E63/CLS63. Assume that basically the same e55 vs E63 arguments would likely apply to the CLS55/63. And so on.

I'm a middle aged guy looking for a beauty queen car and love the MB's W211 and (now) W219 body styles. I have a personal preference for them over their newer models. The car won't be a daily driver. Likely won't do any mechanical mods to it. Maybe some aesthetic mods just to make the car more unique and uniquely mine. I've had a few trusted forum members with whom I've discussed my E search suggest I stick with an E63 for my situation (mainly not modding, more refinement, newer model, etc), and I assume the same logic applies here for the CLS.

So now in the market for a CLS. Through research I've narrowed choice down to CLS55 (obviously 2006) or a 2009 CLS 63. The 2010's and 11's are just a tad out of my desired price range for a fourth vehicle (I also have a '72 fully restored vette with a big block and 4 speed I wish someone would buy)and I'd prefer to have the 2009 updates if I'm going the 63 route, so that rules out 2007 and 2008. The only real constant is a black interior and a preference for the P030 here as well. The reason I even consider a 55 after the feedback I received is because there are currently some very nice low mileage (25-40K) examples on the market, some even with a warranty for the next few years (one on this forum now; it looks great). The things I question about the CLS55 are: Is low mileage really a good thing for any other purpose besides value? Example: the dreaded headbolt issue on the M156 typically rears its head around 40k or so, from what I've read. Sometimes you gotta drive 'em to see if they are problem children or not, and some cars just do better, health-wise, as daily or so drivers. Also, even though the W219 platform was in Europe since 2004, I believe, before coming stateside in 2006, does the CLS55 suffer from any first-model-year-blues typical of not being well-sorted? I typically try to stay away from a new model for a few years, but maybe there is enough W211 underpinning to have been sorted in the 2006 CLS. I dunno.

It looks like most of the 2009 CLS63's on the market now are of higher mileage than some of those low mileage 55s, but only a few grand or so higher in price. Which makes them attractive. I like the refined aspect of the 63s for cruising, but I also enjoy the thought of the 55's acceleration when I have a few buddies in the car. So I'm kind of torn. I have the wherewithal to maintain either car properly, but I don't like the idea of a torched engine or tranny replacement costing almost as much as the car, or it eating a ton of time taking it back and forth to the shop (yeah, I know, it's an AMG) and spending more time there than on the road. In that vein, I generally put a high value on an a very inclusive warranty. If it pays for itself and then some, I win. If the warranty costs more than I would have spent on repairs, I still win, cause that means I've got a good car. I can handle the monetary loss to have the piece of mind and pride of owning a good car. However, not having a warranty is not a deal breaker, but it is spooky. CLS55 w/warranty and low mileage in one hand, higher mileage CLS63 w/o warranty in the other....which fills up faster? OR neither has a warranty....living dangerously?

So basically, I'm trying to determine if the CLS55 has stood the test of time and is a low mileage example 55 a better bet than a higher mileage 63, and whether the later model is really that much more sorted. I know it's subjective, but if any of the owners or other members would like to chime in, I'd love to hear their takes on it. Or any aspect of either car born out of experience. Maybe I've answered my own questions here, so again, I'd be interested to hear owner's and those that have experience comments, if they'd care to share.

Thanks for reading this far and a sincere thanks to the members who have responded to my PM's on various issues; your time and graciousness is truly appreciated. Oh man, I just realized this has turned into another "which is better" post that has been covered for the W211 ad nauseam. Apologies if offensive.
Old 06-12-2015 | 10:26 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I haven't owned either but I have been looking at E55/E63's for a while thinking of upgrading at some point. I believe for practical purposes the E and CLS are identical. The 55 has a reliable engine and transmission and if well cared for shouldn't have any troubles. Airmatic can crap out but there are some very cost effective ways to deal with this. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 55 with some sort of service history with an extended warranty.

63- same airmatic issues, the 7 speed conductor plate can crap out ($1-2k) and the headbolts, cams and lifters are very expensive. Mid 2010 is when they fixed the headbolt issue. Although still very low % of cars affected it can be very very expensive. I would want a warranty OR I would spend $1-2k and immediately replace the headbolts myself with studs or the revised OEM ones. I would take my chances with the lifters as I understand the SLS replacements are $2k.
Old 06-12-2015 | 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
There is a nice black on black 09 on autotrader. Been there for months.
Old 06-13-2015 | 12:46 AM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Worth the wait - Thanks for the heads up, but I talked to the dude selling it. Finally called me back and said he was holding it for a guy that was supposed to send him a check. I told him I wanted to fly out, lay hands upon it and move forward if his deal fell through. Didn't hear back. I contacted him a few days later and said check came, it was sold, but that he can't get autotrader to take the ad down. Apparently that can be a problem with a-trader.

I have been very diligent in my search. Even contacted a guy very recently (thanks for the tip, eurogruppe) that had one he listed for sale last year I spoke to at that time, then he pulled it off the market but was thinking about selling it again now. After a promising beginning, the communication stopped and I'm not sure why. Was willing to deal on his terms. Who knows. It's been a frustrating search, but I am being picky and looking for a needle in a haystack, I suppose.

I'm still interested in the right E63, but I'm digging the CLS mostly now.

Thanks again for the tip.
Old 06-13-2015 | 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55
I loved my CLS55.

Don't focus as much on mileage as you do maintenance records. My friends have had some ultra low mileage AMGs and they drive the snot out of them while some high mileage cars and pampered daily drivers.

Either get a 2006 CLS55 or a 2009 CLS63. The 2009 has the command updated. The 55 was a great car. My only advice is to seek maintenance records and stay on top of maintenance. Don't worry so much about whats on the clock.
Old 06-13-2015 | 10:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
There is this car. https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...il-9-18-a.html

It is a performance pack with a lot of warranty left. It is a clean car that is only driven in nice weather and I have personally serviced it.
Old 06-14-2015 | 12:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
Why don't you buy exactly the color combo you want and add quaife? I wouldn't worry about the p30 option since the only re benefit is the LSD...the rest is very small. LSD does wonders for these cars...
Old 06-15-2015 | 02:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
There is a nice black on black 09 on autotrader. Been there for months.

If you buy that one no more than $25K for it.....
Old 07-09-2015 | 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
09 E63 P03 Black on Black for sale

I got an 09 E63 P03 for sale. 65k miles. Only issue is that it's a rebuilt title from a minor accident.
Old 07-09-2015 | 02:33 AM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
The rebuilt title would be a problem for me. Sorry, but thanks for putting it out there.