Sponsored by:

Airmatic Service Time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 SL55
Airmatic Service Time

I have an '06 with 155K. About 6 months ago, the left rear started sagging if the car sat for several days. About a month or so ago, it was overnight and now it's struggling to stay level on the left side and yesterday I got the "maintenance" warning.

Is there some schematic posted somewhere so that I can understand the routing and pumps? Assume that it's sectioned off as the right side of the car is fine.

I know that the standard answer is to "replace it all" but I don't believe in throwing away good parts just for the dealer tech to make $$. I have a local shop where I know the owner but not certain if they have a lot of experience with the airmatic system. I am going to call them tomorrow but am wondering what I can do myself. I am assuming that it's a shock but also wondering if it's simply an o ring on a connection somewhere given the age and mileage.

Suggestions welcomed!

Thanks
Old 06-30-2015, 10:18 PM

'05 SL55
Did a little reading on the forum. I see reference to buying from Advance Auto who I use all the time but I don't see anything on their site for the rear.

I see references to Arnott and I see the rear spring but I am concerned about the stiffening of the ride. I like the ride where it is. I am currently running in low mode and on 19's and I can stiffen it up via the suspension control so I don't want to start firmer. Plus, that would imply that I need to do both rears to match, not just the leaking ones.

So - sources for parts? Besides Arnott, any other good sources?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Besides stock, as far as I know arnott is it. I'm thankful we have them. Have never heard they ride stiffer. It's not worth using stock rears because you have to pull the rear end out. Unless your rich, I have not seen a total breakdown of the schematic or how and when the airbags are used . It would help everyone on trouble shooting though. Good luck
Old 07-01-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...atic-info.html
Old 07-01-2015, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
I have a complete Air Suspension for sale in 100% working condition Front+Rear shocks bags and Compressor let me know if you are interested
Old 07-02-2015, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Thank You
Old 07-05-2015, 03:19 PM

'05 SL55
Thanks!!!!
Old 07-08-2015, 10:17 AM

'05 SL55
Thanks Guys. Going to go with the BC Setup. Talked to their guys yesterday on the phone. 2 sets in stock.

Question - in the DIY thread, it indicated that all you need to do is pull fuse F37(??) to disable warnings about suspension. Why does Arnott sell a box then? Can you guys who have done it validate this part of the process?

2nd Question - did you rip our your compressors and tanks?

3rd Question - the DIY shows that you don't have to drop the whole rear subframe to do this conversion like Arnott suggests for replacing the rear air springs. I assume it's because you have to pull the lower control arms anyway to change them. Can someone weigh in on this from either theirs or their shops perspective?

Thanks!