W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPD 77m Pulley reliaility

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Very weird.. Wonder if Jerry knows what's causing it in the tunes, or has identified where the problem lies.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55, 2005 E55 AMG
77mm pulley, belt wrap kit eurocharge tune daily driver with no issues
Old 04-18-2016, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Originally Posted by l pagan
77mm pulley, belt wrap kit eurocharge tune daily driver with no issues
Same here. T-O-R-Q-U-E
Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG W211
Hi guys,

Thank you for all your input on the 77mm SC pulley. I've also installed one 2 days ago and i was quite disappointed with my power gains on the dyno and the actual boost gain from this pulley.

I am from South Africa and the City i live in is called Johannesburg, which sits on a high-altitude 1 753 metres (6 000 feet) above sea level and I am told that this could be the cause of the low boost figures as you guys in USA and UK are boosting with stock pulleys E55 at 0.8 bars (11,603 psi).

But my question is the following: If i was doing 0.5bar (7.251 psi) of boost with the stock pulleys and no bwk, shouldn't i be making at least 0.7 bar (10.152 psi) of boost after installing the 77mm SC pulley + BWK?

I did monitor boost alone on my DashCommand App and on the tuner device as well, but we only saw 0.6 bar (8.702 psi) momentarily, in fact i can actual say that the boost seen most of the time was/is 0.5 bar (7.251 psi) on full throttle up to 3rd gear, if i take in consideration what boost actually displays most of the time on the app, and i did a test the boost levels before installing the pulley and after installing the 77mm SC.

Listen, i cannot deny that i did not pick up some power but it was nowhere close to the advertised gains that are usually posted on MBWorld and other forums which is ~80-95whp over the stock reading.

The before and after you see on the dyno sheet was as follow:
before= completely sock only cats removed and the after = full LT Headers ceramic coated + X-pipe + 76mm pipe right through with original rear silencers + 550cc injectors +BWK + 77mm SC which got me a total of 42 whp extra and 98Nm of torque

MOTRONIX the local tunner (www.motronix.co.za) , which works closely with Jerry from Eurocharge when necessary, says that most of his W211 E55 do at least 410whp with the 180mm CP, which is what i should have got theoretically.

I feel quite disappointed that i didn't take the 185mm CP as i initially wanted to. Now it means i need to save again for a 175mm CP pulley so see if i can make decent power this time around
Old 04-29-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2005 E55 | 1968 Road Runner
Originally Posted by brunoE55
Hi guys,

Thank you for all your input on the 77mm SC pulley. I've also installed one 2 days ago and i was quite disappointed with my power gains on the dyno and the actual boost gain from this pulley.

I am from South Africa and the City i live in is called Johannesburg, which sits on a high-altitude 1 753 metres (6 000 feet) above sea level and I am told that this could be the cause of the low boost figures as you guys in USA and UK are boosting with stock pulleys E55 at 0.8 bars (11,603 psi).

But my question is the following: If i was doing 0.5bar (7.251 psi) of boost with the stock pulleys and no bwk, shouldn't i be making at least 0.7 bar (10.152 psi) of boost after installing the 77mm SC pulley + BWK?

I did monitor boost alone on my DashCommand App and on the tuner device as well, but we only saw 0.6 bar (8.702 psi) momentarily, in fact i can actual say that the boost seen most of the time was/is 0.5 bar (7.251 psi) on full throttle up to 3rd gear, if i take in consideration what boost actually displays most of the time on the app, and i did a test the boost levels before installing the pulley and after installing the 77mm SC.

Listen, i cannot deny that i did not pick up some power but it was nowhere close to the advertised gains that are usually posted on MBWorld and other forums which is ~80-95whp over the stock reading.

The before and after you see on the dyno sheet was as follow:
before= completely sock only cats removed and the after = full LT Headers ceramic coated + X-pipe + 76mm pipe right through with original rear silencers + 550cc injectors +BWK + 77mm SC which got me a total of 42 whp extra and 98Nm of torque

MOTRONIX the local tunner (www.motronix.co.za) , which works closely with Jerry from Eurocharge when necessary, says that most of his W211 E55 do at least 410whp with the 180mm CP, which is what i should have got theoretically.

I feel quite disappointed that i didn't take the 185mm CP as i initially wanted to. Now it means i need to save again for a 175mm CP pulley so see if i can make decent power this time around

You made some really nice additions to the car. Unless I read over it, you make no mention of cooling mods. I hope you're not running the stock HE and pump, etc. with those mods, in your climate.

You're at higher elevation which is working against you (as you know). Weather is warm there also. You dyno'd in 3rd...should be 4th I believe.

Others will chime in, I'm sure.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG W211
Originally Posted by WideRide
You made some really nice additions to the car. Unless I read over it, you make no mention of cooling mods. I hope you're not running the stock HE and pump, etc. with those mods, in your climate.

You're at higher elevation which is working against you (as you know). Weather is warm there also. You dyno'd in 3rd...should be 4th I believe.

Others will chime in, I'm sure.
@ WideRide: You read it correctly, i have not add/done any cooling mods as yet, but i've ordered the HE and Bosh 010 pump already, we are currently in our winter season and it gets decently cold enough for me to enjoy the car while i wait for next week to install the new cooling upgrades

I must be honest, regardless of the disappointing dyno numbers i am quite happy with how the car feels now, it really transformed the car, its much more lively but i can't stop thinking whats going to happen when i match the 77mm SC with a bottom 175mm CP of which my tuner is not too sure if its a good idea
Old 04-30-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by brunoE55
@ WideRide: You read it correctly, i have not add/done any cooling mods as yet, but i've ordered the HE and Bosh 010 pump already, we are currently in our winter season and it gets decently cold enough for me to enjoy the car while i wait for next week to install the new cooling upgrades

I must be honest, regardless of the disappointing dyno numbers i am quite happy with how the car feels now, it really transformed the car, its much more lively but i can't stop thinking whats going to happen when i match the 77mm SC with a bottom 175mm CP of which my tuner is not too sure if its a good idea
What HE exchanger have you ordered and where from?
Old 05-01-2016, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
It is likely altitude compensation.
Others have reported drastic changes after moving into a different atmospheric pressure range. Regardless of who tuned it.
Check your tuning vendor for a retune. I am sure Eurocharged has an altimeter file.
Do not quote me on this but Jerry is Awesome.

Best, Gator
Old 05-08-2016, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
What fuel you running? 93 reef octane fuel will kill your performance. What's highest octane (Ron) you can get on reef?

Check your timing logs while on dyno and see if car starts to pull timing

If you can try a run on dyno with race or 98 - minimum.

On cooling need to split system and add boot reservoir - that's the main benefit ... changing the heat exchanger radiator to me has been of little benefit and on that front I've gone back to stock heat exchanger ... As we know the p.o.s intercooler is the bottleneck.

At altitude you should see way less power loss due to altitude with a FI motor. You should be down around 6% from sea level performance where a NA car will lose approx 1% per 100m of altitude.

Your boost is way too low , your car could be bleeding of boost via the boost valve as temps are too high or u losing timing / knocking

Last edited by stevebez; 05-08-2016 at 05:31 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-08-2016, 05:41 PM

UPD 77m Pulley reliaility

Originally Posted by stevebez
What fuel you running? 93 reef octane fuel will kill your performance. What's highest octane (Ron) you can get on reef?

Check your timing logs while on dyno and see if car starts to pull timing

If you can try a run on dyno with race or 98 - minimum.

On cooling need to split system and add boot reservoir - that's the main benefit ... changing the heat exchanger radiator to me has been of little benefit and on that front I've gone back to stock heat exchanger ... As we know the p.o.s intercooler is the bottleneck.

At altitude you should see way less power loss due to altitude with a FI motor. You should be down around 6% from sea level performance where a NA car will lose approx 1% per 100m of altitude.

Your boost is way too low , your car could be bleeding of boost via the boost valve as temps are too high or u losing timing / knocking
Have to disagree with you mate.. His boost is correct. That is what happens when you live at 5500ft above sea level, (then there is our hot weather taking your DA even higher You loose nearly 1 psi for each 1000ft in altitude gain, yes it's a crazy loss but it is what it is. Think turbo charging is a different story. Also he has done header/pipe so that also doesn't help with adding boost as opposite happens.

Your figure though of losing 1% per 100m is correct though, as we are about 1650m up so yes 16% loss which is right on the numbers..

Last edited by C32owner; 05-08-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I wouldn't be too concerned about actual before & after boost levels. You compared stock boost vs. pulley + headers. Seems like you made up the boost lost from the headers (which is normal) by adding in the pulley.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 E55
77mm sc pulley for a few thousand miles. Definitely works pretty well power wise, but there is no question they are not up to snuff with oem quality in terms of "engineering". The clutch is warped fat when compared to oem and clutch gap changes constantly. Where as I can set the oem once and be done with it, I've r&rd the upd one probably 8 times setting and resetting the gap. Imo as a full time mb tech, contrary to Internet bs, the aftermarket will never be as good or an "improved" version of oem regardless of what you hear online. Still a fun part but if oem was given a 10, these pulleys would get a 7 imo.

Kind of like the toe links that hit the subframe that nobody has mentioned yet....

Last edited by 210lvr; 05-10-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Others mention the toe link issues. Someone's snapped in half as well.