Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb or Crazy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumb or Crazy?

2008 W211 E63 - I know this is pretty foolish but I can't help myself. I am going to be going out for some track days (road coarse) a few times a year, maybe more and was looking for some suspension and brake suggestions. I don't think I am ready to dump tons of money into this car since it really wouldn't be worth it. I've looked at the coil overs and this is probably the way to go. I know I'll lose some of the plush ride but I'm okay with that. I also saw that Renntech makes a lowering module for these cars. Is this just for looks or does it affect any of the dampening on the car, or just lower the air bags? Actually any other tips or suggestions (motor, suspension, brakes, etc) for this car would be great. Newly purchased (used) and am just digging into it. Little experience with the AMG's.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
They're amazing but can be costly, one problem being the biggest is the head bolt leak issue which could hydrolock the motor. Another is obviously the struts. They had a cam adjuster issue as well, not all but some. They really are EPIC though, not as fast as an E55 but definitely as fun to drive. Really tight and sharp, really good to drive and they're GORGEOUS.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
So are you sayin that out of the box, bone stock the 55 is faster than the 63???
Old 09-23-2015, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by Critter
So are you sayin that out of the box, bone stock the 55 is faster than the 63???
Bone stock I've seen it go both ways, the E63 being more consistent because of no real heat soak issue, it would be faster from a roll depending on the individual car. Lightly modded though the E55 would win for sure. You could do a charcoal delete, filters and tune for the E63 and I think you could gain up to 45-horsepower at the crank which would make you faster than a stock E55 but there's still no denying the E55s huge potential. With that said the E63 feels nicer to me, I like how tight it is, I like the sound, which is WAY better than an E55s and I like how all the facelift interior and exterior stuff is already done and it obviously looks WAY better. Not even close in stock for stock looks department. The interior in the E63s when black is actually a true black, darker than an E55. You can also get them in the dark sand interior which is just jaw dropping for me. So yes, I like......LOVE the E63s. I would never buy one though because of the price where I am and because of those chronic issues that may arise and without a warranty would be killer.

The M156 engine is a MASTERPIECE though, really, just timeless......that sound oh god that SOUND!!!
Old 09-23-2015, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Was going to say it may be close for the first round but the 63 never heat soaks, LOL
Your last statement is why I have two.
As for chronic issues, never had any, so far!
Never seen the dealership for warranty either.
Oh yah, both black/black

Last edited by Critter; 09-23-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:08 PM

The only issue I've had was a leaky intake gasket. Started with a little rough idle then tripped a code a couple weeks later. MB had a service notice for this on these cars, intake gaskets and bolts. Pretty easy fix and not very costly. I did the PCV valve when I had it removed also since it's hard to access without removing the intake manifold. Cleared codes. Still has a slight rough idle, not much but a little at stop lights. Haven't figured out what is causing this but it's so minor I'm just letting it go. May try a Renntech or Eurocharged ECU flash to see if that helps plus the extra 20HP won't hurt.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Bandit, try cleaning the throttle body, especially on the back side of the throttle plate and the internal diameter of the body itself.
Sludge buildup accumulate around this are and will effect idle.
Use some "INTAKE CLEANER" aerosol container, toothbrush and some clean rags.
KEY on depress accelerator pedal to open the throttle plate, with some assistance of course. White rags show the grime the best.
Good luck
Old 09-24-2015, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the advice Critter. I'll give that a shot over the weekend.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Originally Posted by Critter
Bandit, try cleaning the throttle body, especially on the back side of the throttle plate and the internal diameter of the body itself.
Sludge buildup accumulate around this are and will effect idle.
Use some "INTAKE CLEANER" aerosol container, toothbrush and some clean rags.
KEY on depress accelerator pedal to open the throttle plate, with some assistance of course. White rags show the grime the best.
Good luck
This is impossible to do in the 156 as the dual tbs are inside the manifold. You would have to remove the manifold, split it and then clean them, reseal it and put back together.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by e500slr
They're amazing but can be costly, one problem being the biggest is the head bolt leak issue which could hydrolock the motor. Another is obviously the struts. They had a cam adjuster issue as well, not all but some. They really are EPIC though, not as fast as an E55 but definitely as fun to drive. Really tight and sharp, really good to drive and they're GORGEOUS.
0-60 they are the same. They are equally fast and the E63 will get off quicker due to better traction. The E55 just feels faster cause of the torque.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
I have very slight rough idle at startup and after hard driving. Very small though. Also, my throttle body makes a very whistly wind noise on low rpms, any clue?