Sponsored by:

S/C Heat exchange upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
E55AMG, Lexus ES350, Lexus LS460, AudiA6
S/C Heat exchange upgrade

I bought a new, larger heat exchanger. Does anyone know if I have to remove the front bumper to replace it, or can I just do it from underneath the car. All Data doesn't specify, Thanks in advance!
Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
You need to take the bumper off to mount it properly.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 AM

Is it an absolute to remove the bumper, or does it just make it easier?
Old 09-25-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 E55 AMG
yes absolute there's no other way to get to it.I did mine when I did the e63 convertion.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by wpbmed
Is it an absolute to remove the bumper, or does it just make it easier?
Do the front bumper conversion at the same time.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-03-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Agreed on bumper swap, just did mine thanks to Gary when we put on a frozen boost 101 heat exchanger + new SC pulley from shardul.
Attached Thumbnails S/C Heat exchange upgrade-photo892.jpg  
Old 10-08-2015, 01:37 PM

Fabtech

Ok, took the front bumper off, have the Fabtech heat exchanger, Fabtech promised me it was direct fit bolt on in place of OEM, and of course it is not. Does anyone else have the Fabtech H/E? There is another cooler underneath the OEM H/E, it looks like probably a power steering fluid cooler. What do I do with that? It bolts to the OEM H/E and there is no where on the Fabtech H/E to place it. Also, the new H/E is twice as wide, I don't want to install it then try to put the bumper back on and find out it does not fit. Has anyone else used the Fabtech H/E and how did you solve these problems. Thanks guys, I always appreciate all the help offered on here.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
It's an oil cooler, and you can mount it behind the FTP exchanger. Gotta come up with a home brew mounting solution.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:19 PM

same

What about taking the bracket off the old H/E and mounting them on the new H/E? Any experience with that?
Old 10-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
you will have to zip tie or wedge the oil cooler between the bumper and heat exchanger. It may not be in the direct air path anymore.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55, 07 ML500
Originally Posted by shardul
you will have to zip tie or wedge the oil cooler between the bumper and heat exchanger. It may not be in the direct air path anymore.

I have this H/E you have to zip tie the oil cooler. Not a big deal, I believe the EC one is the same way.. Mine has worked fine..
Old 10-09-2015, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 350 Likes on 301 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
You can install a cooler with the bumper on. I never took mine off and put a custom cooler up frond and another custom cooler in the driver front lower fog light area. All plumbing and coolers installed with the nose still on. I also took the lower oil cooler out and installed a #12 stainless line to bypass it so to make more room for a 8 inch tall cooler. Worked out very well. Only did it this way because of wanting to make sure it all "fit" in the front end.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:01 AM

cooler

There was no way to get the Fabtech cooler in place without taking off the bumper. The thing was too big and I had to fabricate some areas on the bumper to make it fit. Where did you get a stainless by pass for the front oil cooler? That is an excellent idea and I would like to do the same. I already have the primary oil cooler with it's own electric fan running on it.

As far as anyone else thinking of getting a fabtech cooler, I will admit it is one solid piece of aluminum. It is FAR bigger than stock, must hold three times as much coolant and thus is probably cooling at a much greater rate than stock. Despite what Fabtech claims, it is NOT direct bolt on. I had to fabricate parts of the bumper. It will not use the stock bolts, you need to go purchase new ones because Fabtech is too cheap to send them to you. Also, for whatever reason they choose not to pre-attach their fittings to the cooler. I had to re-tap the threads on the cooler to make the fittings screw in more than half a turn. If you are mechanically inclined, and can do minor fabrication, then the unit is worth it. If you are strictly only able to take off an old part then put on a new one, then this unit is NOT for you.

I drove to Disney after putting the new unit on (200 miles from my location) and saw serious increase in torque and acceleration with it (also added the new updated higher flow pump motor from Bosch so I am sure it helped.)
Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
E55 and several 928s
Any pics?

Originally Posted by wpbmed
There was no way to get the Fabtech cooler in place without taking off the bumper. The thing was too big and I had to fabricate some areas on the bumper to make it fit. Where did you get a stainless by pass for the front oil cooler? That is an excellent idea and I would like to do the same. I already have the primary oil cooler with it's own electric fan running on it.

As far as anyone else thinking of getting a fabtech cooler, I will admit it is one solid piece of aluminum. It is FAR bigger than stock, must hold three times as much coolant and thus is probably cooling at a much greater rate than stock. Despite what Fabtech claims, it is NOT direct bolt on. I had to fabricate parts of the bumper. It will not use the stock bolts, you need to go purchase new ones because Fabtech is too cheap to send them to you. Also, for whatever reason they choose not to pre-attach their fittings to the cooler. I had to re-tap the threads on the cooler to make the fittings screw in more than half a turn. If you are mechanically inclined, and can do minor fabrication, then the unit is worth it. If you are strictly only able to take off an old part then put on a new one, then this unit is NOT for you.

I drove to Disney after putting the new unit on (200 miles from my location) and saw serious increase in torque and acceleration with it (also added the new updated higher flow pump motor from Bosch so I am sure it helped.)
Old 10-14-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
here is how I mounted mine, its the 101 from frozen boost, but yours should be similar.