Sponsored by:

BMW vs. Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
BMW vs. Mercedes

A few years ago there seemed to be a clear difference in looks and driving dynamics between these two marques. Each had their fans and each produced wonderful cars, just wonderful in different ways. I think Mercedes for the most part has improved the looks of their various models. The CLK? Maybe, maybe not. SL, yes. E class, yes. And power is going through the roof. BMW comes out with new 7 series styling. Thumbs down. New 5 series styling. Thumbs down. They provide modest power increases except for the much anticiptated M5. Then yesterday at the doctors I read a C&D review of the 530 and they pretty much ripped it up. In addition to the complicated iDRIVE and questionable styling, they've somehow managed to screw up the handling characteristics, the main thing BMW had going for it. Okay, I'll get to the point. What the heck is happening to BMW???
Old 02-12-2004, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Eddy -

I guess they Bangled everything up.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:28 AM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
But you must remember that Chris Bangle is one of the best paid auto designers in the industry. He's so good he gets two paychecks! One from BMW and one from Mercedes!
Old 02-12-2004, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
Originally posted by Eddie Knopp
Eddy -

LOL
Old 02-12-2004, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally posted by Eddie Knopp
Eddy -

How did Bangle screw up the handling of BMW's? He is a exterior car designer and had no input into the suspension or handling of BMW cars. He probably has nothing to do with the I-Drive either.

BMW has changed his job. From Auto News Feb 09 2004:

"Bangle gets new BMW role

BMW relieved its controversial chief designer CHRIS Bangle of direct styling responsibility for the BMW brand to silence steady criticism about the company's design direction, sources say."
Old 02-12-2004, 12:38 PM

04 E55
Re: BMW vs. Mercedes

Originally posted by EDWARD CONROY
A few years ago there seemed to be a clear difference in looks and driving dynamics between these two marques. Each had their fans and each produced wonderful cars, just wonderful in different ways. I think Mercedes for the most part has improved the looks of their various models. The CLK? Maybe, maybe not. SL, yes. E class, yes. And power is going through the roof. BMW comes out with new 7 series styling. Thumbs down. New 5 series styling. Thumbs down. They provide modest power increases except for the much anticiptated M5. Then yesterday at the doctors I read a C&D review of the 530 and they pretty much ripped it up. In addition to the complicated iDRIVE and questionable styling, they've somehow managed to screw up the handling characteristics, the main thing BMW had going for it. Okay, I'll get to the point. What the heck is happening to BMW???
C&D probably was smoking crack when that article was written.

I have drove AFS equipped E60. Found it handles better than E39. Response is great.

Unlike my E, I have hated it's steering response since day one. AFS is much more linear and does not switch from heavy to soft instaneously. The E feels like a whale compare to the new E60.

I for one actually really likes E60 exterior design. It looks more sharp as compare to my E55.

The only thing that my E55 really stood out are its interior.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:24 PM

E55 AMG
hmm... krispykrme, seems like you're pysching yourself up to jump ship to the e60 M5. It will be an awesome drive for sure, and I also agree that the e60 handles way better than the e39. But the looks are a huge turn off for me.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:21 PM

SL500
It was absolutely necessary for BMW to take a new design direction, their cars were getting very boring. The handling characteristics of BMW's are just as good/even better than years passed. As for the i-drive, sometimes companys need to lead and not follow. People have a very hard time accepting change and the i-drive system is a huge change, in upcoming years I'm sure BMW will refine the interface to make it more user friendly.

The interior design is no where near as elegant as current MB designs, BMWs are a very "cold" places to be. This is something that should, and can, be easily addressed.

As for the exterior, I for one am a fan of the flamed surface design, before I get flamed think about it. The overall designs are good, it's just the front/back of the cars that are ugly. Imagine the 7 with a nice trunk and different eyes, I think it would be a decent looking car, same goes for the 5.

Bangle designed these cars to stand out, regardless of looks. He should swollow his pride and clean them up, it's ok to be different but don't be different for the sole purpose of being different. That is why I think he's an idiot.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:47 PM

04 E55
Originally posted by MBZman

As for the exterior, I for one am a fan of the flamed surface design, before I get flamed think about it. The overall designs are good, it's just the front/back of the cars that are ugly. Imagine the 7 with a nice trunk and different eyes, I think it would be a decent looking car, same goes for the 5.

Bangle designed these cars to stand out, regardless of looks. He should swollow his pride and clean them up, it's ok to be different but don't be different for the sole purpose of being different. That is why I think he's an idiot.
I agree with this 100%. Although I don't think the new 5 is that bad. In fact i really do like the new 5.

However, bangle must have a rear end fetish, because the new 6 and 7 looked like a over weight woman with a huge rear end.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by krispykrme
However, bangle must have a rear end fetish, because the new 6 and 7 looked like a over weight woman with a huge rear end.
Comes form eating too many donuts... wouldn't you say!?
Old 02-12-2004, 05:22 PM

SL500
At the L.A. Auto Show I checked out the new 6 series, overall it's a nice car with one of the ugliest, out of place rear ends I have ever seen on a production car, including the current 7 and 1980's Cadillac Seville.

I then went over to the MB area and a young man was sitting in the CLK gesturing his parents to come over. He said to them "look how nice this is, this is beautiful." All in all, I heard the word "beautiful" used at least a half-dozen times in reference to the CLK and CLS.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:23 PM

A neighbor has the new 7 series and he complains to me almost everytime I see him. Its not just to look of the 7 but also the mechanical reliability issues. He mentions that everytime he takes his car in for various problems, there are many (5 + ) new 7 series there getting something fixed.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Having tested the 545i on a vigorous test drive including a pseudo race circuit, it puts our W211 handling to shame, and that's not even the M version. Unfortunately the car is not pretty inside or out. The flaws are with everything Bungle got his hands on.

Regarding the 7 series, the car has so many problems that they have been are being sold or traded by all 5 of my friends who have purchased them. It is a little better looking to me than the 5 series, but very little.

If we could only transplant the chassis and drivetrain from the next M5 to the E55.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:29 PM

Overall scorecard BMW vs. MB:

Handling: BMW has always (and still) reigns
Exterior styling: MB hands down
Interior styling: MB is in another (better) league entirely
Fun factor: BMW by a nose IMO
Resale: MB
Prestige: MB

I am very particular about interior design, much moreso than exterior, and power is more fun than agility to me. That's why I'm an AMG owner at this point in time.
If handling was REALLY important to me, I'd have to take a long look at the 5. (Fortunately it's not, 'cause I'd hate to have to look at the back end of that thing in my garage every day....great description of the Starr Jones rear end on the 5, Kev).
Old 02-13-2004, 02:03 AM

ML350 '06
Originally posted by EX-BEEMER
But you must remember that Chris Bangle is one of the best paid auto designers in the industry. He's so good he gets two paychecks! One from BMW and one from Mercedes!

...then what he did to those poor BMW cars recently...he should be paying them! Damn, those are some ugly lookin' cars!

That, or maybe Mercedes paid him even more to screw with BMW's design! HAHA! That would be funny! Hey Mr. Bangle, here's another check and huh, make the new BMW model look like ****! Mission accomplished Mr. Bangle!

Last edited by Nickerz; 02-13-2004 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:11 AM

ML350 '06
Re: Re: BMW vs. Mercedes

C&D probably was smoking crack when that article was written.

I for one actually really likes E60 exterior design. It looks more sharp as compare to my E55.

The only thing that my E55 really stood out are its interior.
Yeah! And krispykreme donuts are part of the Atkins diet! At least your not in self-denial there Krispyboy!

Too many krispykreme donuts there for ya pal b/c I think the frosting and custard have your brain a little clouded up!
Old 02-13-2004, 03:42 AM

04 E55
Originally posted by Nickerz
Yeah! And krispykreme donuts are part of the Atkins diet! At least your not in self-denial there Krispyboy!

Too many krispykreme donuts there for ya pal b/c I think the frosting and custard have your brain a little clouded up!
moron! take a test drive before you open your damn mouth.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:42 AM

04 E55

Last edited by krispykrme; 02-13-2004 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The upcoming CLS is "beautiful" on the inside and just a little to odd on the outside for me. It reminds me of an Olds Aurora, and a Lexus ES300 exterior. It does not look like a Mercedes and I hate the fact that Mercedes is trying to call it a "Coupe" and it has 4 real doors with handles and a b-pillar. Maybe it will grow on me but I still had hoped for a real 2 door W211 E-Class Coupe. I too hate the rear ends on Bangle's creation but I think I would rather have this over the CLS:

Old 02-13-2004, 12:34 PM

ML350 '06
I did! ...and that's why I know you and Bangle are the only ones that like that ugly thing they dare call BMW now.

Tell, me krispyboy. What part of a test drive of the car is needed to realize you hate the outside anyway? Now who's the moron!? I hear it's a good idea to think before you speak/type and better yet, do you honestly feel you're the only one who has test driven the Bimmer line up!? Exaaaactly!

In fact, if I remember correctly, it was Car&Driver who said...

"YOU CAN'T MISS THE NEW 5-SERIES. (WE JUST WISH WE DIDN'T MISS THE OLD ONE SO MUCH.)

From what I hear krispyboy, they tend to test drive cars too! Just a little.

Last edited by Nickerz; 02-13-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:47 PM

04 E55
I did! ...and that's why I know you and Bangle are the only ones that like that ugly thing they dare call BMW now.

Tell, me krispyboy. What part of a test drive of the car is needed to realize you hate the outside anyway? Now who's the moron!? I hear it's a good idea to think before you speak/type and better yet, do you honestly feel you're the only one who has test driven the Bimmer line up!? Exaaaactly!

In fact, if I remember correctly, it was Car&Driver who said...

"YOU CAN'T MISS THE NEW 5-SERIES. (WE JUST WISH WE DIDN'T MISS THE OLD ONE SO MUCH.)

From what I hear krispyboy, they tend to test drive cars too! Just a little.
Idiots will always be idiots.

There are tons of people like the new 5. Just go to any bimmer forum. The new 5 design are by far the best of new design.

It's obvious clear that you have never spend enough quality time in the new 5 and the E. Being an owner of new E55, my experience would carry more weight than you.

The new 5 with AFS are far superior to the E39. Pretty much anyone that drove the car would tell you as such.

I do not need any magazine to tell me which car is better. Next time all you have to do is go to a super market and read all about the car and that would be enough.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:52 PM

Can I ask what kind of car(s) you drive Nickerz? (And how old you are?).
You'll find that this is basically a non-flaming board for people who like or want to learn about E55's and competitors.
The juvenile bashing and insults were not warranted by KK's comments and are not welcome here.
Your opinions are welcome, but please try to keep the flame intensity below scorch.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are many many cars sold that are not very "easy on the eyes" but purchased for their performance or luxury or off-road abilities, etc. Cases in point:

Rolls- Royce
Bentley
Hummers
Vipers
BMW M-Coupe
Beetle
New Beetle

The next BMW M5 will be bought for its performance, handling, 6-speed manual and it's ability to whip an E55 in every category except looks.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:17 PM

W211 E55AMG
new 5-series is UGLY (still i love 800-series and e36 and e39) i cant say more. im not bimmer-blamer but i just DONT like that. correct.

Thanks,

04 E55
But truth be told though, i really do like the new E's interior, except too many buttons to push, just a little to busy for me.

But I-drive is no better. I am still trying to get used to the concept of I-drive. I-drive should make life easier on you not the other way around.

The 1st time I drove the E65, I had no clue how to change the damn radio station. Instead of easy of use and keep my eye on the road. My eyes were glueed to the screen.

The E60 i-drive is simpler, but still difficult to use. I wish they could allow M owners to deal away with I-drive system. The old interface on E39 was clean and easy to use. The only gripe with E39 interface was the junk cd-rom based nav and none existent seach function. But instead of fixing that, we got the beast called the i-drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BMW vs. Mercedes