W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my cls55 has weird suspension/sloppy steering issue.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
06cls
my cls55 has weird suspension/sloppy steering issue.

my car has been suffering from massive body roll it feels like when on the highway or at highway speeds, sport 1, 2 or comfort do not change anything either.

make a long story short if i hit a dip in the road, uneven pavement, while on heavy acceleration or just going around a corner, the car starts to sway back and fourth, sometimes pretty bad until i get off throttle. i can also mimic this by jerking my steering wheel left to right it is just not as bad *** when im accelerating .

these people seem to be experiencing the same thing but i already have sway bars. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...sway-bars.html

with this said, i plan on doing inner and outer tie rods, upper ball joints, the other lower ball joints, , sway bar link/ ball joints, and replace rear camber arms with upd kit.

Also i noticed that when im driving and one wheel goes over uneven pavement seems like both wheels are doing there own thing, like one wheel is maintaining the path its on but the one which is on raised pavement or whatever is moving ever so slightly towards that part of the pavement, and the steering wheel kinda shimmys back and fourth ever so slightly as if it wasnt sure which part of the pavement to react to. Almost as if one the rack and pinion wasnt keeping pressure on both sides?

i dont know, basically im not sure if this is tie rods, rack and pinion, ball joint,
airmatic strut failing, or sway bar links.

All i know is that when i have the car on the lift i cant find any play at 12 to 6 or 9-3. on the ground all 4 corners of the car seem to compress the same exact way when i push down on the fenders/quarter panels.

other wise the cars suspension absorbs the imperfections perfectly, bumps dips etc, love the way the car drives and feels ,its just when i am hitting dips in the road, bumps, at highway speeds, or at WOT when the car starts to act like a boat and sway back and fourth up front.

Sorry for the long thread just trying to be thorough, and hopefully finally find a solution.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
might be the simple answer like a bad tire(s), low pressure, belts shifting, my stability firmed up a bit with upper and lower ball joints replaced but it was not experiencing instability like you are describing,, have dealer do a 4 wheel alignment for 150 bucks and inspect for worn bushings/control arms/swaybar,, if nothing there I would suspect airmatic issue not dampening correctly but I have not been able to wrap my head around the internals/valves of those front airmatic shocks
Old 10-20-2015, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
I would start with inspecting your lower control arm bushings and replace if showing signs of cracking when you pry at them with a pry bar. Your steering wheel pulling over bumps is likey due to your thrust arm bushings being worn. Replace those along with the upper and lower ball joints while you are at it because they typically wear out. Road test afterwards. If still unstable or you find that you need to correct the steering to keep it going straight, replace your inner/outer tie rods. Top it all off with a good alignment!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
have your alignment checked
Old 10-21-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
06cls
tires are new just had them road force balanced other day, alignment is ok, on good pavement it drives straight.

trying to avoid a alignment till i get all the tie rods and rear comber arms put on. i guess i will look into the bushings next. so if the bushing have cracks and fractures probably time to change? is there a way to test the bushings?

when driving normal the car is ok, the time the car starts to sway back and fourth is when i lay the hammer down, the front end lifts a little and the body starts to rock side to side till i get off.

i can recreate a similar ( not as much rolling ) situation by tugging the steering wheel left to right.

i was hoping to find the issue before i start replacing everything i ordered, do an alignment and then still be stuck with the problem.

Last edited by 06cls55amg; 10-21-2015 at 12:00 PM.