E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Airmatic Suspension/Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Toyota Echo (Twin Turbo)
Airmatic Suspension/Sway Bars

Sorry if this has been answered before. I did a search and found nothing.

I am new to the MB world (having come from BMW). I took a look under my E350 wagon (airmatic) and could not find any sway bars. I saw an end link connected to something but it did not appear to be a sway bar.

Do airmatic suspensions exclude a sway bar? If so, how do you lessen body roll? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I really do not know much about the airmatic suspension.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:23 AM

05 E500 Wagon
airmatic does indeed have sway bars...Brabus makes larger bars that are basically the same size as the bars that come stock on the E55
Old 04-12-2006, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. Where do the sway bars go? I could not see a sway bar going across from wheel to wheel. Is it hidden by plastic covers?

Also, has anyone installed the Brabus sway bars and noticed a difference (everything else the same)?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:34 PM

Anybody with an Airmatic suspension install aftermarket sways?
Old 04-25-2006, 04:42 PM

Body Roll Issue

Hi. I am also a W211 newbie. I picked up my 2003 E500 about a month ago. It is gorgeous and I absolutely love it. I took it to the dealer to get it checked over and it is in great condition: all recall work done, no outstanding issues, etc. I originally said there must be something wrong with the suspension, because I've never felt so much body roll in a vehcile before. Is this normal. What can I do to have this evaluated?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:29 PM

2003 E500 SPORT
question-

Can you explain "body roll", I have a 2003 E500 and sometimes I feel like I'm rocking in a boat...=\
Old 04-26-2006, 05:11 PM

Finally! Someone who understands what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm using the term body roll incorrectly. Let me restate my comment. If we're talking about body roll around a corner, the car is great. If I'm driving down a straightaway and take a bump head-on the suspension absorbs it like a MB of this caliber.

Here is the problem, however it is difficult to explain: Although there is no speed that I can pinpoint it to, it usually happens on a road with a limit of about 35 / 40 mph. If, for example, I hit a dip with the left front tire and then a dip with the right rear tire the car rocks like I'm on a boat in 3 foot swells.

I've taken this to MB 3 times over this issue.

The first time they said two of my rims were bent, and that it was going to cost me about $800 for new ones. I took them to a place by me that straightened them for a fraction of the cost. I really didn't understand how this would fix the problem, anyway. It's not like I was feeling vibration from the wheels, you know?

The second time, even though the foreman didn't see the suspension light on in my car, they ran it through the diagnostics and replaced a couple of struts in the rear and some suspension components on the right front (my vehicle is under warranty). This made it a bit better, but not 100%.

The third time I had the mechanic take it home for the night, which is about a 50 mile drive. He told me that it drove like all other 2003 E500s.

So, here I am, and I'm not 100% sold that is becuase I've not seen any other posts except yours describing my issue. You also can't take another 2003 E500 for a spin because it only happens during certain conditions.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:46 PM

E500
I have the same problem with my 04 E500. When I first took delivery of the car, I seriously thought there was a major problem with the suspension. Replacing the Contis with new tires made a big difference. The car still exhibits some strange suspension behavior. For example, when hitting a recessed manhole cover with the wheels on the left side of the card, everything is OK, but a similar bump on the right causes the back end to jerk back and forth. Sometimes the rocking back and forth feels like the shocks aren't doing anything at all. Of course, it's the usual "no problem found" at the dealer.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Just curious...

What tires did you get?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:31 PM

Continental ContiTouringContact 245/45/R17s - all four. JohnO, would you suggest getting a new set of tires? MB tried to tell me it was my rims. How can I prove that it is the tire and not the rims?

Last edited by mdk0416; 04-27-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:57 PM

E500
I got Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires to replace the stock Continentals. It made a big difference in the ride quality, but it's hard to say if it would make a difference for you.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Digging up an old thread.....

Originally Posted by knifegun
Anybody with an Airmatic suspension install aftermarket sways?
Anyone install Brabus or E55 bars and if so what was the result?

Chenry: Did you find out an answer to the E55 bar on a non-E55 airmatic?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:48 PM

05 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
Digging up an old thread.....

Anyone install Brabus or E55 bars and if so what was the result?

Chenry: Did you find out an answer to the E55 bar on a non-E55 airmatic?

Thanks!
No really haven't thought about this much lately but now that I see this thread you've got me thinking about this again (damn you )
Old 10-04-2006, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI W211
A Sailboat In Mid Atlantic

Ok here goes.
I Have had my W211 E320 CDI for just over three years now and my previous car was the W210 E320 CDI.
After having my new 211 just two weeks I took it back and explained that the car had far to much roll from side to side and it was not as good a ride than the 210
I took another 211 with the same airamatic on a test drive with the technician and found no difference.
Looking back on this issue and other forums many people have the same problem.
A friend of mine complained many times and took the issue up with MB U.K.
and finaly got the problem solved.
There are far to many electronic control sensors on the airamatic to go wrong and the average MB technician may as well work for NASA on the space shuttle they have not got a clue on how to fix it.

I JUST LIVE WITH THE PROBLEM.

Other than that I love the car.

Les Chesterfield U.K.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by LeslieRushforth
...There are far to many electronic control sensors on the airamatic to go wrong and the average MB technician may as well work for NASA on the space shuttle they have not got a clue on how to fix it.

I JUST LIVE WITH THE PROBLEM.

AMEN Brother! Thats how I feel about the whole car. Hoo Boy, The electronics !
Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
If You want to reduce the Body Roll There are Several Items to change to reduce the sway/Roll/Float around corners

Install the AMG Or Aftermarket Sway bars..yes The AMGs WILL Work on Non Air Matic cars..Look at the EPC and order the parts Brabus also makes larger sway bars that will also work...The Front bar is easy to install..The REAR is NOT as the complete rear subframe Must be lowered to replace the rear sway Bar..PITA!!!

Install a set of lower profile tires..Less sidewall to flex/roll

Install a set of aftermarket Springs..Shorter AND Stiffer

I Did The Sway bars and AMG 19s and the car corners Flat...It is NOT Lowered as this is the wifes car..
Old 10-07-2006, 02:40 AM

2004 E500 4matic appearance pkg
Suspension on E500 4matic

I have a 2004 E500 4matic with the airmatic suspension ane original Continental conti tires. It sound like I have the same problem as John states in his thread. My car handles great and takes turns without dipping or feeling like a boar - especially with the Goodyear F1 DS3 tires (which wore out after 12000 miles) What I noticed is that when I go over some significant bumps like railroad tracks or a potholed road, I notice a dull hollow clunking sound from the right front. There is no problem with the way it handles nor dipping.

After 2 trips to my dealer and 1 trip to the large Kansas City dealer, it is the same answer. That is how a 4matic handles. I have had the mechanic drive the car as well from the dealer with me as well. I have had a bracket replaced for the air brake system, a new brace and bolts for the suspension, and some other recall on the front end. This has nevr changed anything.

Finally, I am getting used to it and don't worry about it since all recall work is done, it handles fine, and 2 separate dalers come up with the same answer.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:34 PM

I'm digging this thread up again...any feedback on my questions are greatly appreciated. From my research, it doesn't look like many have done this mod and I can't find much anywhere.

Does anyone here have Brabus sway bars installed?

Will the Brabus or AMG bars make a very noticeable difference or little difference on an Airmatic car?

What's the difference in AMG vs. Brabus bars?

I'm trying to determine if this is a worthwhile mod or not.

Thanks Mark on the install heads up, good to know this is not a DIY deal.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I'm digging this thread up again...any feedback on my questions are greatly appreciated. From my research, it doesn't look like many have done this mod and I can't find much anywhere.

Does anyone here have Brabus sway bars installed?

Will the Brabus or AMG bars make a very noticeable difference or little difference on an Airmatic car?

What's the difference in AMG vs. Brabus bars?

I'm trying to determine if this is a worthwhile mod or not.

Thanks Mark on the install heads up, good to know this is not a DIY deal.

The Brabus bars are nearly idenntical to the E55 bars.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:44 PM

I just ordered the AMG front and rear bars from my dealer. They should be here Monday, plenty of QTY in the US with the exception of the rear bar, that could be coming from Germany as the computer only showed 1 in the US. Forget about Brabus.

I hope my tech is nice and gives me a fair price on install Too bad the bars won't be here before track day this Saturday.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I just ordered the AMG front and rear bars from my dealer. They should be here Monday, plenty of QTY in the US with the exception of the rear bar, that could be coming from Germany as the computer only showed 1 in the US. Forget about Brabus.

I hope my tech is nice and gives me a fair price on install Too bad the bars won't be here before track day this Saturday.
How long is install? I hear the rear needs the sub dropped.