Command Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 Techtite over Blue Leather.
Command Retrofit

Guess What Ladies???
You know that DVD Command head unit (w/ matching DVD player unit for trunk) that was on e-bay last month? Well, I followed up on that unit and tracked down the buyer to this young Med student in So Calif who just retro fitted it into his 2004 E500. He did it in about an hour and... just as the seller had promised, it booted right up! He didn't even need to re loop his fiber optic loop. While that is of no consolation to those with 2003 cars, it definitely adds some measure of credibility to the seller's claims that he himself succesfully installed the same setup in his 2003 E320 (W211 series of course). I spoke on the phone with the seller for about an hour 2 weeks ago and he assured me it would work (even offered me a deal if I could find 4 other friends with W211 cars wanting the retrofit...he would fly out here with the hardware & do it himself). The kid who bought the unit offerred to show me first hand if I didn't believe him. You should also know that the seller is the same guy on e-bay known as "sammycclass" who has been selling surplus M. Benz parts on e-bay for ages. The big question is whether or not the swap will really work on an 03 as he claims it will. This kid who did it has an 04'! I am starting to believe the seller more and more as the proof starts to roll in. What do you guys think? The seller swears that the cars (both 03' & 04') are all pre-wired for the set up just in case Mercedes was able to get the updated units ready to ship in time.
Feel free to chime in with your feedback