Sponsored by:

repair cost... any guesses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 C230 (sold) 2009 E63 AMG (SOLD), 2015 E 63 AMG S
Originally Posted by FromM3toAMG
gotcha, well tomorrow im taking it in.. i cant see this being 12k in damage..
It's just a number off the top of my head. Difficult to estimate from a picture but good luck. Let us know what happened.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63
So they are going to repair the door and the bumper...and replacing the quarter panel. The wheel will be refinished... initial estimate is $5500. Geico, set the total loss limit at 80%..awsome so I'm stuck with this car, selling will be a nightmare.Guess I'll just pay it down to trade in value.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:11 PM

So they are going to repair the door and the bumper...and replacing the quarter panel. The wheel will be refinished... initial estimate is $5500. Geico, set the total loss limit at 80%..awsome so I'm stuck with this car, selling will be a nightmare.Guess I'll just pay it down to trade in value.

Damn, that's very low, I wonder what their hourly rate is at. Just have it fixed and call it a day.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2007 mercedes e63, 2006 bmw 530 Xi with Mtech kit , 2005 ford expedition
was the car problematic?
Old 12-21-2015, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
ask to have the alignment checked before any repairs start. if you need suspension arms, hub, or subframe, or even all of that it could add thousands. if the wheel took direct impact something is bound to be bent.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:37 PM

W211 E55 Wagon, E46 M3
Originally Posted by Rocman8
ask to have the alignment checked before any repairs start. if you need suspension arms, hub, or subframe, or even all of that it could add thousands. if the wheel took direct impact something is bound to be bent.
Yea make sure to have them do the alignment even if it means you might have to pay out of pocket in the interim. Because once they start the work, even if they discover more damages, and the repair costs wind up exceeding the 80% threshold, they might not total it since they have already committed to the repair.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
gotcha, well tomorrow im taking it in.. i cant see this being 12k in damage..
Totally agree. Just because its a AMG doesn't mean parts are more or less expensive. Harder to come by maybe, but there's plenty of wrecked 55/63's sitting in junkyards around the nation.

Do you want it to be totaled? You kinda sound like you want to cut your losses and purchase something new. Maybe a new 212 type S
Old 12-22-2015, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://www.carssalvage.info/for/sale/MERCEDES-BENZ/E63/

Even if the parts are used-with the correct body shop the car will look brand new and you wouldn't even be able to tell. for what it's worth your vehicle has 117k miles on it correct? If you find parts from cars with fewer miles then technically you're doing pretty darn good.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by cmriv
Totally agree. Just because its a AMG doesn't mean parts are more or less expensive. Harder to come by maybe, but there's plenty of wrecked 55/63's sitting in junkyards around the nation.

Do you want it to be totaled? You kinda sound like you want to cut your losses and purchase something new. Maybe a new 212 type S

Actually they are more expensive. Much more expensive, it all depends where they get it from and the mark up. Also the used parts could be damaged and need extra time to repair. Just because theres plenty of 55/63s in junk yards doesn't necessarily mean the insurances have contracts with them.

The 12k is easily achieved is there is suspension damage. Unless geico finds a used suspension.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since the AMG ego's are through the roof and think they know everything-i took five minutes to go to a parts guy. If no suspension is damaged-lord willing, new rear bumper, quarter panel, and door are 3900$. If you want to purchase a new wheel, which i don't know why you would considering the price, 2300$, me personally i would just see if it could be repaired, add that to the 3900. A body shop at 60-80$ a hour shouldn't charge more then 15 hours to paint and install all that, maybe less to be honest, 12-1500 more, your looking at under 8k in repairs for this, non expensive vehicle just because it's a amg.....

From my experience, there are multiple insurances that look for the most efficient route when repair such things. Just because "you" want everything to be new and OEM doesn't mean it is going to happen. That just isn't realistic at all expecting or wanting such things especially on a vehicle with over 100k.

edit: those parts aren't at my price, employee, if you know someone at a dealership in your area that could hook it up then you are set, only if the insurance company is cool with purchasing brand new oem parts. If they aren't the junkyard is your only option, or new aftermarket stuff. So the theory, it's a amg its more expensive is a riddle, your car is a w211 with a hand built motor and a few other odds and ends that make it unique, at the end of the day its still a E class.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

alignment also...
Old 12-22-2015, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you getting brand new parts?

nevermind-repairing. I can read-sometimes.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:42 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by bigjule
was the car problematic?
nope just tired of it.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:55 PM

07 E63
Since the AMG ego's are through the roof and think they know everything-i took five minutes to go to a parts guy. If no suspension is damaged-lord willing, new rear bumper, quarter panel, and door are 3900$. If you want to purchase a new wheel, which i don't know why you would considering the price, 2300$, me personally i would just see if it could be repaired, add that to the 3900. A body shop at 60-80$ a hour shouldn't charge more then 15 hours to paint and install all that, maybe less to be honest, 12-1500 more, your looking at under 8k in repairs for this, non expensive vehicle just because it's a amg.....

From my experience, there are multiple insurances that look for the most efficient route when repair such things. Just because "you" want everything to be new and OEM doesn't mean it is going to happen. That just isn't realistic at all expecting or wanting such things especially on a vehicle with over 100k.

edit: those parts aren't at my price, employee, if you know someone at a dealership in your area that could hook it up then you are set, only if the insurance company is cool with purchasing brand new oem parts. If they aren't the junkyard is your only option, or new aftermarket stuff. So the theory, it's a amg its more expensive is a riddle, your car is a w211 with a hand built motor and a few other odds and ends that make it unique, at the end of the day its still a E class.
Well thank you for the information, I also took the 5min required to find all of those same price quotes from my local dealer. I cant help but sense a slightly condescending tone from you, Im not 12, this isnt my first car and sure as hell isnt my first insurance claim. The purpose of this post was to guesstimate the repair cost, and discuss the chances of the car being a total loss.

I want my insurance to fix the car at whatever cost, or i want it to be totaled. I have no interest in trying to do any thing on my own if i dont need to.

Im not going to debate the differences between a standard E and an AMG.. its irrelevant.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:57 PM

07 E63
http://www.carssalvage.info/for/sale/MERCEDES-BENZ/E63/

Even if the parts are used-with the correct body shop the car will look brand new and you wouldn't even be able to tell. for what it's worth your vehicle has 117k miles on it correct? If you find parts from cars with fewer miles then technically you're doing pretty darn good.
It has 106k.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well thank you for the information, I also took the 5min required to find all of those same price quotes from my local dealer. I cant help but sense a slightly condescending tone from you, Im not 12, this isnt my first car and sure as hell isnt my first insurance claim. The purpose of this post was to guesstimate the repair cost, and discuss the chances of the car being a total loss.

I want my insurance to fix the car at whatever cost, or i want it to be totaled. I have no interest in trying to do any thing on my own if i dont need to.

Im not going to debate the differences between a standard E and an AMG.. its irrelevant.
don't get salty man-that response was not even directed at you whatsoever. You said nothing about the price of parts amg vs non amg, blkbenz did. I was responding to blkbnnzzz. I was actually speaking in your defense, hoping that just because it has a amg badge it will cost more, which clearly isn't the case and is a good thing i would think. Good news is your car will be fixed, like you said the cost is irrelevant as long as insurance takes car of it.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Take a look at Diminished Value.

Should either offset what you'll lose when you go to sell.