W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New E55 owner question on lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
New E55 owner question on lowering

I've got a bunch of uestions like most newbies, and I figured I would ask them seperately so that they don;t get all jumbles up. Hope I'm not unintentianally violating any forum protocols by doing do, apologies if I am. I've searched on some of this stuff, bit the answers I get are either unclear or vague, so I thought I'd just post questions individually to all you exerienced guys.

The first question I have is on lowering the car. I don't want it slammed, just sort of having the tops of the wheelwells even or slightly below the top tire tread. I see some guys use washers, some use links, some use a reluctant dealer to reprogram STAR (whatever that is), some buy modules.

I'm leaning toward buying the links. I don't want to wire in a whole module, cutting into the harness and stuff. I also don't want to make the car have all sorts of stuff hanging off of it. I'd like whatever I do to be as invisible as possible.

I don't want to use the washers, it's sounds like it's a half baked solution. (no offense meant to those who have done this.) I have a older Benz as well as this one, and over time I have learned quickly to avoid the pompous dealerships whenever I can. I would prefer not to beg and grovel to convince them to reluctantly take my money to reprogram the STAR to lower the car.

That leaves me with the links. Is there a downside to using them? Does it appreciably change the ride quality? Does it require any other changes to the car, damage the car in any way, or cause damage to the car be more likely?

Any input on this would be appreciated. It's a 2006 unmolested E55. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
I can lower it via Star
Old 12-18-2015, 01:57 PM

2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
Originally Posted by shardul
I can lower it via Star
PM sent to you. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2015, 02:32 PM

Just exchanged PM's with Shardul, he will be lowering my car via STAR once it arrives for an very reasonable fee. This forum is a wonderful tool to have at our disposal, thanks to all for your valuable input.

Last edited by Doug427; 12-18-2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Typo, as usual
Old 12-21-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Don't lower it! the stock lowered ride height is perfect!
Old 12-21-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 AMG E55
Originally Posted by Jason Barr
Don't lower it! the stock lowered ride height is perfect!
I agree for performance

but boy this car looks good another 20mm lower
The following users liked this post:
05E55AMG (08-28-2016)
Old 12-21-2015, 02:33 PM

07 C230 (sold) 2009 E63 AMG (SOLD), 2015 E 63 AMG S
Im on the same boat as you. Currently trying to dig into older suspension threads. Im basically looking for the same results as you. I was thinking about lowering with links as well. What made you go with the STAR lowering? Just curious
Old 12-21-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by BlkBenz8
Im on the same boat as you. Currently trying to dig into older suspension threads. Im basically looking for the same results as you. I was thinking about lowering with links as well. What made you go with the STAR lowering? Just curious
Well......with lowering, there seems to be no clear answers as to the 'best" way to do it. My thought process went something like this:

Washers - the cheapest way to do it, it just seems half baked to me to put an expensive car like this on $0.39 of washers. Now I'll be the first one to fall on my sword and admit my complete lack of expertise on the subject, and I'm likely way off base on this, and I mean no disrespect to those who have done it and enjoy it. I'm just not comfortable with it.

Lowering module - The most expensive and complicated way to do it. I don't want to hack into my cars harness, and add a piece of equipment that can fail due to unknown quality, faulty installation, etc. Also, I don't want any king of wired remote laying around the inside of the car. Nor do I want to pay over $1000.00 to lower the car.

Links - For me it came down to links vs. STAR method. In looking at the links, some looked, at least in photos, to be cheaply made jury rigged pieces of threaded rod from the local ACE hardware store. However, I found a nice set of machined billet links on line for about $200.00 if memory serves me right. This is still to me a very viable alternative. However, if I understand the process correctly (and I may very well have it wrong) getting the height you want is a process of trial and error. Install the links, see what the height is, remove, adjust and reinstall, again and again, until you have it right. Not the end of the world, but certainly a pain in the a$$.

That left STAR. The main reason I chose this is that a highly respected member here on the forum happens to have his shop located about 45 minutes from my home, and I can drive the car into the shop, consult with him on the proper ride height, and have him put it there. Period, end of story. The cost of doing so is less than the billet links, in fact about half. In addition, there is nothing added to the car that M-B didn't put there., The adjustable ride function still works, albeit at a lower ride range. Hopefully the ride doesn't suffer too much.

That's about it. Nothing definitive, just my thought process in deciding. Most will likely disagree, and I likely have some assumptions wrong, but it works for me. Good luck, whatever you choose!
Old 12-21-2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doug427
Well......with lowering, there seems to be no clear answers as to the 'best" way to do it. My thought process went something like this:

Washers - the cheapest way to do it, it just seems half baked to me to put an expensive car like this on $0.39 of washers. Now I'll be the first one to fall on my sword and admit my complete lack of expertise on the subject, and I'm likely way off base on this, and I mean no disrespect to those who have done it and enjoy it. I'm just not comfortable with it.

Lowering module - The most expensive and complicated way to do it. I don't want to hack into my cars harness, and add a piece of equipment that can fail due to unknown quality, faulty installation, etc. Also, I don't want any king of wired remote laying around the inside of the car. Nor do I want to pay over $1000.00 to lower the car.

Links - For me it came down to links vs. STAR method. In looking at the links, some looked, at least in photos, to be cheaply made jury rigged pieces of threaded rod from the local ACE hardware store. However, I found a nice set of machined billet links on line for about $200.00 if memory serves me right. This is still to me a very viable alternative. However, if I understand the process correctly (and I may very well have it wrong) getting the height you want is a process of trial and error. Install the links, see what the height is, remove, adjust and reinstall, again and again, until you have it right. Not the end of the world, but certainly a pain in the a$$.

That left STAR. The main reason I chose this is that a highly respected member here on the forum happens to have his shop located about 45 minutes from my home, and I can drive the car into the shop, consult with him on the proper ride height, and have him put it there. Period, end of story. The cost of doing so is less than the billet links, in fact about half. In addition, there is nothing added to the car that M-B didn't put there., The adjustable ride function still works, albeit at a lower ride range. Hopefully the ride doesn't suffer too much.

That's about it. Nothing definitive, just my thought process in deciding. Most will likely disagree, and I likely have some assumptions wrong, but it works for me. Good luck, whatever you choose!

Thanks for breaking it down, I HIGHLY appreciate it. Sounds like I am going the same way you are. Hopefully the ride isn't too bad, coming from owning a C class on coilovers to driving this E feels like im on a cloud and don't want to ruin that. Of course its going to depend on which wheels I put on as well. Keep us updated!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:05 AM

2006 MB E55 AMG
If you don't slam it, the ride quality remains unchanged. I went the lowering links route because the all 3 local dealers refused to adjust it via STAR. The rear is a bit of a pain but the fronts are easy. All you have to do is set the new link the same leangth as the stock one and adjust from there going a few turns at a time until the desired result is achieved. It takes only about 30 minutes to do the front which includes the trial and error adjustments.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Blue55
If you don't slam it, the ride quality remains unchanged. I went the lowering links route because the all 3 local dealers refused to adjust it via STAR. The rear is a bit of a pain but the fronts are easy. All you have to do is set the new link the same leangth as the stock one and adjust from there going a few turns at a time until the desired result is achieved. It takes only about 30 minutes to do the front which includes the trial and error adjustments.

Do you have any wheels or are they stock?
Old 12-24-2015, 06:26 PM

2006 MB E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BlkBenz8
Do you have any wheels or are they stock?
I have CLS55 AMG 19" wheels