W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock cooling with meth injection kit installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Stock cooling with meth injection kit installed

Hi All, just wondering about the cooling system if someone here still has the stock cooling but with performance mods and just did a method kit installation as to what difference that made to the IAT's.. Are you running a 50/50 water meth mix. So instead of me splitting the system, going bigger heat exchanger, phenolic spacers etc, just install the meth and be done with it. Thoughts?
Old 01-15-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 CLS63 S AMG
Running Dual Nozzles on my CL55 with only a 10* mod. It works pretty well but would still suggest some more cooling modifications. Running an 80mm FSP no resistor, EC ECU and TCU Tune. Don't have serious cooling issues but it is winter at the moment.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by CerBErusM113
Running Dual Nozzles on my CL55 with only a 10* mod. It works pretty well but would still suggest some more cooling modifications. Running an 80mm FSP no resistor, EC ECU and TCU Tune. Don't have serious cooling issues but it is winter at the moment.
Cool thanks for the post. Did you perhaps log anything before and after the mod to see the effects on your IAT'S . Am rather curious to know how effective it is, and see how much cooler the temps are.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
I used water meth for a while on my SRT-6. At first I was spraying before the throttle body. The top of the supercharger was cool to the touch immediately after a pull on the dyno but the IAT's stayed about the same. Turns out the intercooler heats the cold air at least as well as cooling super heated air. AFR's ran approx. .5 richer on a 50/50 mix. We spent hours on the dyno adjusting it to maintain power. Without a specific tune for it you could lose some. Next I sprayed in the Y pipe. However, the placement of the nozzle wasn't ideal and the IAT sensor didn't see the cooling affect. But the power was consistent regardless of IAT's. Then my controller malfunctioned and emptied the contents of my meth tank into the Y pipe. (AEM kit)
My take away from the experience is: Nozzle placement is extremely important. (post intercooler, pre IAT sensor) You need to tune for it or you won't see power gains. Get a top of the line kit with all the failsafes. If it malfunctions, even once …… you'll need an engine or be extremely lucky if you don't. I was lucky and no longer use it.

Les
Old 01-16-2016, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Velociabstract
I used water meth for a while on my SRT-6. At first I was spraying before the throttle body. The top of the supercharger was cool to the touch immediately after a pull on the dyno but the IAT's stayed about the same. Turns out the intercooler heats the cold air at least as well as cooling super heated air. AFR's ran approx. .5 richer on a 50/50 mix. We spent hours on the dyno adjusting it to maintain power. Without a specific tune for it you could lose some. Next I sprayed in the Y pipe. However, the placement of the nozzle wasn't ideal and the IAT sensor didn't see the cooling affect. But the power was consistent regardless of IAT's. Then my controller malfunctioned and emptied the contents of my meth tank into the Y pipe. (AEM kit)
My take away from the experience is: Nozzle placement is extremely important. (post intercooler, pre IAT sensor) You need to tune for it or you won't see power gains. Get a top of the line kit with all the failsafes. If it malfunctions, even once …… you'll need an engine or be extremely lucky if you don't. I was lucky and no longer use it.

Les
Thanks for the very informative post, appreciate it greatly! From that experience I think I would get a bigger heat exchanger made up first and see the effects of that. I don't track the car but would like to try and delay the IAT's from skyrocketing to fast, is really what I want to achieve..
Old 01-16-2016, 12:21 PM

SRT-6
I have a much larger than stock heat exchanger installed. I've tried stock, stock with remote power steering reservoir, double capacity H/E and triple capacity H/E. What it does: takes longer to reach xyzº over ambient. Cools down to xyzº over ambient much faster than with the stock H/E. My car runs about 20º over ambient and nothing I have done has changed that by more than 1 or 2º cruising. Some have reported much better results than mine. Regardless, if you want to keep the water cool longer for the drag strip I'd use a remote tank that you can cool with ice. Even with out ice, additional capacity works. Separate the system and have extra capacity with a larger H/E, remote reservoir, or both.

Les
Old 01-16-2016, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
This is a very good question.
I am a big fan of water/meth injection for cooling purposes!
I am not a fan of running it for power, or running anything more than washer fluid (which has a small amount of meth in it already). Yes nozzle placement is key, and there is some argument about dual versus single spray.
There are several excellent threads about this floating out there. Shardul's DYI is spot on, imho
My experience has lead me to the conclusion that a relatively simple, one nozzle setup (running pre iat, off the washer tank) is remarkably effective for preventing power loss as the result of the ECU pulling timing.
It's easier to install and maintain than a trunk tank and doesn't need to be drained and filled with ice for the most effective results. Killer Chillers are great, but become useless at WOT (our cars disengage the AC at full throttle). However the KC is great for keeping temps at bay while in the staging lane.

I am of the opinion that this water injection set up will control IAT's up to maybe 14-15 pounds of boost, with the stock cooling in place.
Of course more cooling isn't a bad thing

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 AM

Awesome stuff, loving the information being put forward, thanks a mill guys
Old 01-17-2016, 07:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I agree with Worth the wait about not tuning for meth. Instal a meth kit and run one or two nozzles (whichever best suits your application) without tuning for the meth and there's no downside - no risk of catastrophe if the meth injection fails during a WOT run.

The KC works well on my set up because it reduces cruising IATs by 10 deg C or more. Although the Aircon disengages when going WOT, the benefit of starting a WOT run with 10 deg cooler IATs is that you'll end it with IATs 10 deg cooler than they would otherwise have been.

Meth does nothing for cooling on my set up but I suspect that has something to do with the location of the nozzle on the Weistec elbow. Many members running the stock blower have reported good results (in terms of. cooling) with meth use. Perhaps some of those members will chime in with some before / after data.

Good luck
Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 AM

SRT-6
Let's get one thing out of the way. Water/Meth works unbelievable well for cooling IF the nozzle is in the correct place for best results. With the design of our supercharger/intercooler assembly, that means pulling the assembly to install the nozzle in the intercooler outlet before the Y pipe. Not all kits malfunction the same. If your tuned for meth and it doesn't come on you could lunch the engine from detonation. If it comes on and stays on you could hydrolock the engine. In my case, the controller malfunctioned full ON while I was in the burn out box and my engine quit in a cloud of white smoke. From where my nozzle was placed, once the engine quit, and the pump kept pumping, all the water/meth drained down into the intercooler and didn't fill the cylinders. I pulled the supercharger, drained the intercooler, thought I fixed the "fault" put it together again. Started the car, armed the system and … same result. Off with the supercharger ….. again ….. again no damage done. The kit is still on my car but disconnected/unplugged/disabled/left for dead. Both times the contents of the washer bottle ended up in my intercooler. I still can't believe I didn't suck up enough water to hydrolock my engine. Meth works, it's magic, be afraid and careful. Thats why I recommend a remote tank or a larger heat exchanger or both instead of meth. Nothing cools better than water/meth that I know of, but it's a dangerous gamble unless you have all the failsafes known to man.

Les
Old 01-17-2016, 09:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Velociabstract
Let's get one thing out of the way. Water/Meth works unbelievable well for cooling IF the nozzle is in the correct place for best results. With the design of our supercharger/intercooler assembly, that means pulling the assembly to install the nozzle in the intercooler outlet before the Y pipe. Not all kits malfunction the same. If your tuned for meth and it doesn't come on you could lunch the engine from detonation. If it comes on and stays on you could hydrolock the engine. In my case, the controller malfunctioned full ON while I was in the burn out box and my engine quit in a cloud of white smoke. From where my nozzle was placed, once the engine quit, and the pump kept pumping, all the water/meth drained down into the intercooler and didn't fill the cylinders. I pulled the supercharger, drained the intercooler, thought I fixed the "fault" put it together again. Started the car, armed the system and … same result. Off with the supercharger ….. again ….. again no damage done. The kit is still on my car but disconnected/unplugged/disabled/left for dead. Both times the contents of the washer bottle ended up in my intercooler. I still can't believe I didn't suck up enough water to hydrolock my engine. Meth works, it's magic, be afraid and careful. Thats why I recommend a remote tank or a larger heat exchanger or both instead of meth. Nothing cools better than water/meth that I know of, but it's a dangerous gamble unless you have all the failsafes known to man.

Les
My pump is wired to a power switch in the cabin. I activate the pump before going WOT and switch it off at the end of the run. Never had any issues. Pity it doesn't cool on my set up but I use it to add a little octane to our crappy fuel
Old 01-18-2016, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Or just get an Aquamist, install the failsafes, and tune the snot out of this 13 year old platform.