W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found OEM illuminated AMG sills.....Now What?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Found OEM illuminated AMG sills.....Now What?

Install, of course. My E63 has the front two sills lighted from the factory, but they say "Mercedes-Benz" and I wanted the ones that say "AMG", and I wanted all four illuminated. In posts here and on PL, and after asking parts guys, techs and others, found out the OEM AMG sills (B6-602-1043, see pics) were no longer made and I would have better chances finding Bigfoot.

But after a late night of beer swilling and internet surfing, about 20 pages in on google, I found what I was looking for in Canada. Some semi-retired tuner guy had only one set that had been sitting in his warehouse for a while. I was trying to get some specific info to make sure they were the real deal, but it was difficult as the guy wasn't the best communicator. I was getting worried. However, they are the real deal but appear to have been installed before, judging by the harness and some light scuffs. They cleaned up really well, though, and are in excellent condition, so I'm not gonna complain too much unless they don't work. Then I'm gonna pitch a hairy fit cause I took it in the shorts on cost. I know they were expensive originally, but geez.....

So, install. The new sills have a four sill harness included with the inverters for each sill attached. As I said above, I have the front two sills already lit. I can't dig into my car right now as it is in the shop undergoing some good stuff, so I don't know if the wiring harness that is there is for two sills only, or for four with the other two just not connected. If for only two sills, do I need to replace whole harness (yikes), splice the two rears in (yikes), or if the fronts are lit then it will have the full harness already there, or what. I am wondering if anyone has been through the same unusual situation and has any insight or DIY tips.

I did search before I posted but all I could find was a DIY on aftermarket lighted sills and lighted sills being retrofit into a car with no lit sills at all. When my car gets back, I'm going in. Was wondering if someone had been there before me and could offer some input.

Thanks for your consideration.
Attached Thumbnails Found OEM illuminated AMG sills.....Now What?-dscn7018.jpg   Found OEM illuminated AMG sills.....Now What?-dscn7020.jpg  
Old 01-22-2016, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
Those appear to be for the E55 not the E63. You should totally sell them to me
Old 01-22-2016, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
You should be able to simply connect the sills directly to a battery (12V source) to test them and the lighting / illumination works, two wires only (one hot and one ground).

I installed aftermarket sills on my car, and it took much longer than expected because I tapped into the courtesy light circuit in the door panels, which required careful removal of each door panel. The aftermarket sills are only two wires so easy to connect, its just getting to the circuit.

How many wires are on the OEM sills?
Old 01-22-2016, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 351 Likes on 302 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Mine where $60.00 bucks new,tap right into the foot well harness and thats it.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:10 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
Those appear to be for the E55 not the E63. You should totally sell them to me
Everything I have is for sale, if the price is right. These? These are gonna cost you big time.

Originally Posted by slownrusty
You should be able to simply connect the sills directly to a battery (12V source) to test them and the lighting / illumination works, two wires only (one hot and one ground).

I installed aftermarket sills on my car, and it took much longer than expected because I tapped into the courtesy light circuit in the door panels, which required careful removal of each door panel. The aftermarket sills are only two wires so easy to connect, its just getting to the circuit.

How many wires are on the OEM sills?

The harness has a plug with two wires on one pin and then a ground loom with multiple wires that feeds into the whole harness. Also, out of each sill connection is an inverter with four wires in/out of it (I assume to be in series) and what appears to be a door contact switch lead. The schematic I have shows the plug going to the SAM in the trunk. That's why I was asking if anyone with the lighted sills already installed on the fronts have added all four lighted sills subsequently. I am afraid it isn't going to be as straightforward as adding aftermarkets and tapping a courtesy circuit.
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Mine where $60.00 bucks new,tap right into the foot well harness and thats it.
If you got OEM's for $60, buy lottery tickets or go to Vegas. You're a lucky man!
Old 01-23-2016, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
You sell them to me , that's what's now