Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter split at the seam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
cls55 amg
Catalytic converter split at the seam

Seems like I've been posting a lot recently and for all the worst reasons lol... So today I was leaving an appointment and I punched it pretty hard leaving the parking lot and as I got up to speed I hear what sounds like a Harley pretty close by. I check all my mirrors and there's nothing. I roll down the windows and still hear it. Then I realize it's coming from me.
I know it's a hole in the exhaust and I'm hoping it's coming from one of my welds on the resonator when I gutted it a while back. I get home and find out I'm not that lucky. The primary cat on the drivers side split at the seam.
I've been looking at the exhaust and it looks like a huge PITA to drop the exhaust and try and weld it back together and pray that it still lines up when I put it back in the car so I think my only choice is to toss some headers in there. I was planning on doing headers in a few months but it looks like the decision has been made for me. I'm leaning towards the eBay long tubes as they seem to have worked out for JoeNobody.
What do you guys think?

Old 01-26-2016, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by romeomikehotel
Seems like I've been posting a lot recently and for all the worst reasons lol... So today I was leaving an appointment and I punched it pretty hard leaving the parking lot and as I got up to speed I hear what sounds like a Harley pretty close by. I check all my mirrors and there's nothing. I roll down the windows and still hear it. Then I realize it's coming from me.
I know it's a hole in the exhaust and I'm hoping it's coming from one of my welds on the resonator when I gutted it a while back. I get home and find out I'm not that lucky. The primary cat on the drivers side split at the seam.
I've been looking at the exhaust and it looks like a huge PITA to drop the exhaust and try and weld it back together and pray that it still lines up when I put it back in the car so I think my only choice is to toss some headers in there. I was planning on doing headers in a few months but it looks like the decision has been made for me. I'm leaning towards the eBay long tubes as they seem to have worked out for JoeNobody.
What do you guys think?

seems like a good enough reason to put on some headers, but ...

Assuming the Cat can be rewelded (seems straight-forward enough) ... it should be easy to get the alignment right by scribe-ing a straight line across the two sections (perpendicular to the split) before you remove it for welding (or even tack it while it is on the car ... ya never know, a good muffler guy might be able to do the whole repair without taking it off).

good luck,
Chris
Old 01-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
change your motor mounts. Failed mounts cause the engine move under hard acceleration which causes a fracture in the exhaust system.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
You have had problems lately EC mids are 620 and the eBay longs are 999-1400 both are solid
Old 01-26-2016, 05:59 PM

cls55 amg
Thanks guys, I'm buying the mounts and the ebay headers tonight. I'll do a full write up on the headers when I get around to installing them.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 GLS 550
You can take it off and have it welded at an exhaust shop if you aren't ready to shell out big money on headers
Old 01-26-2016, 09:21 PM

cls55 amg
Originally Posted by thtguy
You can take it off and have it welded at an exhaust shop if you aren't ready to shell out big money on headers
Normally yes but I hate the idea of paying for something to be put back to stock when I have plans to spend money to upgrade the stuff in the future. Not to mention I could weld it myself but again I'm not convinced it's worth the time and effort mainly because it looks to me like a huge pain to try and ensure everything lines back up after I weld it and replace the engine mounts.
Also I'd normally lean towards the cheaper eurocharged mids but I know I'd always wish I went with the long tubes so I might as well bite the bullet now i guess.
Anybody know how much power difference there would be between the eurocharged mids and a set of long tubes?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E63AMG
Originally Posted by shardul
change your motor mounts. Failed mounts cause the engine move under hard acceleration which causes a fracture in the exhaust system.
THIS^^^^
Mine cracked at the other end...when it did my mounts were toast...used the opportunity to change motor and transmission mounts and add shorty headers and high flow cats...weld it up or mod it but change your mounts.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Be sure to take A LOT of pictures
Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 PM

cls55 amg
Originally Posted by Papieye
Be sure to take A LOT of pictures
Will do

I found and ordered a set of engine mounts last night for $99 and paid for a set of headers from Fabtech-performance today and have a new tune coming in from Tony any day now. Hoping to get everything by early next week so I can work on getting her back on the road asap.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 GLS 550
RMH... looks like it might be time to look at doing the RMS. your belly pan looks a little oily.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:06 PM

cls55 amg
Originally Posted by thtguy
RMH... looks like it might be time to look at doing the RMS. your belly pan looks a little oily.
I'll be sure to check it. I'm pretty sure thats PS fluid though... I've had more issues with it than I want to go into but I finally fixed it all last week but havent gotten around to cleaning up the mess.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55
i just put headers on my car and when i was removing my factory exhaust my cat feel apart in my hand and was broken at same spot. i just had my motor mounts changed so shard is spot on.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS 63 S AMG / 2004 E55 AMG
I had the same issue at 153k miles... Paid $100 or so to get it welded back on with zero issues since.