W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic bugaboos, keyless entry, garage door remote, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Electronic bugaboos, keyless entry, garage door remote, etc.

The new-to-me 2006 E55 AMG has some gremlins in the electronics. Both key fobs appear to have good batteries based on the distance from which they will lock or unlock the car. I have driven 3k miles in the car since I bought it back in November. I did replace the auxiliary battery under the hood in the first month of ownership.

At first, the driver door would lock with a touch of the little button on the door's handle, and the door would unlock just by pulling the handle so long as the fob was in my pocket. Keyless start has worked the whole time.

After a month, locking the car from the button on the handle stopped working, so I switched to locking it with the button on the fob.

After another month, the door stopped unlocking automatically when I pulled on the handle. I switched to unlocking it with the button on the fob.

Now I get the red "door open" warning when I get in the car. That didn't use to happen.

All of this happens regardless of which key fob I use.

Today, the garage door opener on the rear view mirror stopped working. The light flashes on the mirror, and other remotes still open that garage door, but the mirror button doesn't work any more.

Last edited by Minty Fresh; 01-26-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
My garage door opener became un programmed too. I had to reset it. It's hard to get it to reset on my car. Half the time I get it to work the original opener stops working.

As for the door lock I have no experience with that
Old 01-27-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 E55, GMC Whipple Supercharged Quadrasteer Denali Pickup,Big Bored Hyabusa with nitrous
If you push the button on the rear door handle does it lock? My front handle button won't lock the car. The micro switch is bad. It's very common. Mine still opens when I pull the handle but that's a separate micro switch. It's very possible your lock button took a dump and the unlock one failed soon after. The black rubber on the inner part of the handles dry rot and crack around the seam. This lets water or moisture inside the handle and ruins the switches. It usually happens first on the drivers door because that handle is used the most. I'm going to find a used one. The local dealership quoted me over $350.00 for the handle and labor. The handles come painted but my car being a custom color, I'd still need to paint mine.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:33 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Boosted-AMG
If you push the button on the rear door handle does it lock?
Yes, that did work! Thank you.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:16 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Also, the mirror did not need "reprogramming", but the garage opener had to re-learn it. The rolling door codes probably got out of sync...
Old 01-28-2016, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
That $350 isn't a bad price for a keyless go handle installed. Try huskerparts.com. You have to paint the designo colors but some door handles are cheaper than others. I wonder if you can just get one of the cheaper handles which might be $175 instead of the more common $235 and just paint it. I think there are several DIY articles that states the handle can be replaced in 5-10 minutes if you're a pro, about 1/2 hour for the first time. The other good thing about the dealer is that they warranty the work nationally for 12 months 12k, had one of the ones that the dealer replaced go bad in less than a year and they replaced it for free under warranty. I even got a loaner for free.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 E55, GMC Whipple Supercharged Quadrasteer Denali Pickup,Big Bored Hyabusa with nitrous
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
That $350 isn't a bad price for a keyless go handle installed. Try huskerparts.com. You have to paint the designo colors but some door handles are cheaper than others. I wonder if you can just get one of the cheaper handles which might be $175 instead of the more common $235 and just paint it. I think there are several DIY articles that states the handle can be replaced in 5-10 minutes if you're a pro, about 1/2 hour for the first time. The other good thing about the dealer is that they warranty the work nationally for 12 months 12k, had one of the ones that the dealer replaced go bad in less than a year and they replaced it for free under warranty. I even got a loaner for free.
I just bought a used one myself for$100.00 It takes about 5 minutes for me to swap one but if you've seen my pics you have seen my car in what felt like a million pieces when I was painting it. lol I just have to make time to paint it.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:39 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Damn, the garage door opener works for one day and then quits again. This makes no sense because it worked perfectly well for three months.