W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Sun visor hinges

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2016 | 09:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 GLS 550
Sun visor opened up to look at hinges

So passenger visor was separating at one corner so I decided to open it up to get a better look at this hinge issue. Not sure how many of you have thought about potentially destroying a $300 visor.

Going to figure out best type of lubricant. Something that is Styrofoam friendly. Recommend not using WD40 as it will dissolve the foam.

Here are some pics

2 o-rings on end

Black piece is metal

Rod sits in a plastic channel

Last edited by thtguy; 01-31-2016 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Update title
Old 02-02-2016 | 03:03 PM

2017 GLS 550
ok so pulled the 2 o-rings off the slider and the bar slides right out. pulled the entire plastic frame out and used a large bottle brush and some dawn and water to really clean the inside of the slider and rinsed it well.

Afterward sprayed it down with silicon spray (liquid wrench with PTFE additive) pushed and pulled the bar through it a bunch and wiped off all the excess lubricant and rotated it a bunch to make sure the lubricant got down in there really good. wiped it down really well and let it sit for 24+ hours. made sure nothing was dripping and put everything back together.

Using some Elmers epoxy that I had that said it was good for everything including fabric. let that sit for 24hrs with clamps on it. Works like new!

Hesitant to pull apart the drivers side since it isn't delaminating any. Might just try to shoot some silicone into the hinge and just work it a bunch and see how it does. Wish I could find some in a dripper bottle. Might need to spray some into a bottle and drip it myself.
Old 02-02-2016 | 07:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55
great info thanks
Old 02-02-2016 | 08:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'05 E55, ‘00 ML55, ‘92 500E
Don't have a separating issue with mine but I have noticed that the driver visor doesn't sit flush and tight to the roof as the passenger anymore, it sort of hangs about a half inch. Maybe I need new clamps?
Old 02-03-2016 | 08:32 AM

2017 GLS 550
Originally Posted by Bean93x
Don't have a separating issue with mine but I have noticed that the driver visor doesn't sit flush and tight to the roof as the passenger anymore, it sort of hangs about a half inch. Maybe I need new clamps?
No it is because the hinge is stiff and not rotating to the flat lock. The hinge is essentially a steel tube with a flat side. and a steel spring clip holding it in place. Pull the visor off the car. slide the bar as far out as it will go. clean the bar, I would use acetone then slid the bar in and out till it feels a little looser, wiping down with the solvant each time. then spray bar with a lubricant (i used liquid wrench silicone spray) spray a little on the hinge you can see inside the visor. then just work it around a lot spinning the bar in the visor. it should loosen up. I am about to do my driver side that way since it isn't separating. The passenger side works good as new and sits flush to the headliner.
Old 02-03-2016 | 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by thtguy
No it is because the hinge is stiff and not rotating to the flat lock. The hinge is essentially a steel tube with a flat side. and a steel spring clip holding it in place. Pull the visor off the car. slide the bar as far out as it will go. clean the bar, I would use acetone then slid the bar in and out till it feels a little looser, wiping down with the solvant each time. then spray bar with a lubricant (i used liquid wrench silicone spray) spray a little on the hinge you can see inside the visor. then just work it around a lot spinning the bar in the visor. it should loosen up. I am about to do my driver side that way since it isn't separating. The passenger side works good as new and sits flush to the headliner.
Excellent pics so far. Post more when you do this process to your other visor.
Old 02-03-2016 | 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Nice thread. My visors are coming apart. I'll check the rod now when I repair them.

Thanks for the post.
Old 02-04-2016 | 09:09 AM

2017 GLS 550
Originally Posted by HeissRod
Excellent pics so far. Post more when you do this process to your other visor.
Yeah I should have taken more when I took the frame completely out. Not sure I am going to tear the driver side visor apart, since it isn't separating.

but if I do I will take more.

BTW... those frames are very sturdy, they have a metal wire about the size of a coat hanger molded into it all the way around. so I don't think you have to worry about breaking them if you try to work your visor to loosen it up.