'04 E55 SCN coding of new ETC trans conductor plate-HELP!-Need PAI login help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
'04 E55 SCN coding of new ETC trans conductor plate-HELP!-Need PAI login help

So,
I bit off a lot to chew on, after resolving a few of the DTC's I feel optimistic (and broke) about being near the end of the transmission issues. Yes, I know everyone's response about how I basically picked up a revolver off a desk, I didn't even check to see if it was loaded, put it in my mouth and pulled the trigger

Chief Complaint:
P0785 Transmission stuck in 1/2 gear. Harsh Engagment R and D.

Problems resolved:
P0785 and other's (non trans related)

Parts installed to resolve:
ETC / Transmission Conductor Plate
13pin plug
Cleaned inspected everything (except springs or sleeves in valve body) in an OCD manner with "Car Surgery" enviro.

Flushed Trans

***Trans Code Unresolved***
P730- on occurs going to 3rd gear, car is perfect in 1/2.
(Screen shots to follow for TCU DTCs most were gear ratio implausible all were the same code over)

***PICTURES TO FOLLOW SHORTLY****

I have XENTRY / DAS / EPC / WIS / Dev mode and a C3 multiplexor on a Dell 630. I am hoping to just get someone to help with teamviewer and enter there cred's for the PAI so I can SCN code the ETC plate with the VIN. It just shows up as 00000000000000000' now.

I am really optimistic that it is just the coding of the conductor plate. At worst if coding doesnt resolve I will re-sleeve the valvebody with Sonnax springs and maintenance kits for the 722.6XX trans. I will continue to investigate how to do this with Developer mode, any help on that avenue would be great as well.

Kindly,
Will

Last edited by BoostedAero; 02-01-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Cleaning up what my issue is for readers, I do not have the best explainer...
Old 02-01-2016, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
The conductor plate has no control unit or coding in it. It's simple circuitry and all the controls are in the transmission control unit. Did you replace the control unit under the passenger front floor?
Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 PM

2004 E55
Yes, brand new TCU unit, no oil wicked up 13- pin wiring, cleaned inspected anyways.

Not saying you are wrong, but have you personally sapped yours? I have 3 verified sources that have validated I do need to get the correct SCN coding on the conductor plate to resolve this issue.

Basically did all but Sonnex Maintenance kit install for 2/3 sleeve and springs.

http://youtu.be/JnHN6NopO_Y

Hope someone can clarify,
Will

Originally Posted by Rocman8
The conductor plate has no control unit or coding in it. It's simple circuitry and all the controls are in the transmission control unit. Did you replace the control unit under the passenger front floor?
Old 02-01-2016, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Ok. The TCU is not the conductor plate. The TCU is the control unit under the floor. Did you replace that or just clean it? The conductor plate mounted on the valve body has no control unit or programming at all. It's plug and play.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Rocman is correct. I have rebuilt many of these transmissions ....there is no coding that I have ever done. So........any who....Tell me what the trans is doing.
Also go into adaptive stratagies and clear everything and look at the shift times. How long is it taking to shift and is it within the allowed parameters. This is a very easy transmission ECCEPT for the valve body for the average mechanic and this is the brain to the trans. I need to know exactly what you are seeing/feeling. We dont just need to go by the code alone so tell me what it's doing. I am confident I can get you to the end with this. I deal with this crap EVERY single day at my dealership , Ford...even worse!!! LOL
Where are you located?
Old 02-01-2016, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Ok. The TCU is not the conductor plate. The TCU is the control unit under the floor. Did you replace that or just clean it? The conductor plate mounted on the valve body has no control unit or programming at all. It's plug and play.
This is all correct. The conductor plate is "dumb" electronics. The TCU is a separate part; if in fact you did replace it it has to be SCN coded so it knows what car (model) it's in. The TCU from the SL55 and E55 are the same part numbers; however they are shipped "blank" because both cars have different gear ratios and communication networks, hence why you need the SCN coding done. The only way I know of doing that is at the dealership which will login to the MB server in Germany, with your car connected. I bought a used SL55 TCU for a spare, plugging it in, my car would not start (expected) until it was re-SCN coded at the dealership (I am a tech there)

Possibly, one of the tuning companies may be able to do it for you, or you can tow the car to the dealer, (or an indy shop with Startek subscription and XENTRY) ...they shouldn't charge more than 1.5 hrs to SCN code it for you.

Your slipping codes are usually A) Your transmission is toast B) Internal valve body fault C) Low fluid level, only takes .5qt low to act up

The VIN in the TCU will always revert back to 00000000000000 even after you enter it- it's a software bug, doesn't make a difference.

How many miles on this transmission?
Old 02-01-2016, 08:32 PM

2004 E55
Loving some Bad A** Forum Support!

More Info:
120k on car

Previous owner replaced TCU at dealer and it will start so they did have it SCN coded
Prev owner didnt pay to flush or service the trans... so I am sure this thing is going to be a stinky smelly rotten egg along the diagnosis way :-/

Will provide part number of new TCU swapped in when home tonight.

*13pin Plug was oiled and some oil was wicking up but never made it all the way to passenger floorboard. Plug kit replaced and re-inspected and it is dry.

* Trans Tool shows correct level at 25 degree C and 80 degree C.

Pictures:
Waiting for Dropbox to catch up for photos. Kinda when a little photo crazy when I picked the car up.

***Super Stoked with some group MB love!***

#Driving symptoms#

In D in any Trans modes car will shift smoothly through 1/2 and then the most used selenoid -2/3 - it hangs up (stutter with easy 1500rpm-1800rpm shift) and it never makes it there and goes gear ratio implausible (step on gas harder and it will slip)..maybe spins feeling like no clutch contact, feels like it is just not told To go to LaLa land.

Going down a hill where it should shift to 3rd @ 25 miles an hour it tries then spins freely then shifts back to 2nd (failed selenoid or sleeve hangs up and cannot move to allow flow to shift into 3rd...?).

Shift to N and D try again and it repeats process again. No CEL or DAS P2XXX codes until ignition I then ign II again.

***Clear codes then shift to 1, I can drive around with no err codes for Trans faults as long as it does not shift to 3rd gear, car hauls *** and doesnt even know there is an issue in 1st and 2nd***

I bought the car optimistic it is electrical, or realistic that a partout may be on the way...

Selenoid test in DAS was good. I did not ohm test them when Valve body was off though :-/ pics soon

:-(smashes face on brick wall)

[QUOTE=E55Greasemonkey;6694547]

" I bought a used SL55 TCU for a spare, plugging it in, my car would not start "

*needing to edit title apparently*
NO SCN coding needed for my issue

Your slipping codes are usually: A) Your transmission is toast

I will replace trans if needed and bolts are soaking in PB blaster.

I have the same symptoms as a 03 e55 thread (p0715 and p0730) and a complete Trans rebuild did not fix the issue... Just digging along and appreciative of direction!!

Thank you fellas!
-Will

Last edited by BoostedAero; 02-01-2016 at 08:54 PM. Reason: because i type and think it makes sense.... think again man
Old 02-01-2016, 09:03 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by SICAMG

Rocman is correct.

Hell Yes He is!

Also go into adaptive stratagies and clear everything and look at the shift times.

Needing a little more explanation on this...

" How long is it taking to shift and is it within the allowed parameters."

Where do I find this in DAS?

" I am confident I can get you to the end with this. I deal with this crap EVERY single day at my dealership , Ford...even worse!!! LOL
Where are you located?
Charlotte, North Carolina

Thanks all for the information I appreciate the think tank for sure!

I have the will, the tools, just not the knowledge or experience with MB looking forward to learning some good stuff for sure.
-Will

Last edited by BoostedAero; 02-01-2016 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-01-2016, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
So you do have DAS? Go into transmission then adaptations then let us know all the shift "fill times" and pressures. Screen shots would be best.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:33 PM

2004 E55
So you do have DAS? Go into transmission then adaptations then let us know all the shift "fill times" and pressures. Screen shots would be best.
Finishing up some work up for the next 2ish hours then will have system plugged up for those inquisitive with screen shots galore

Thanks kindly for all the advice, support information and most importantly your optimism!

-Will
Old 02-01-2016, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Could simply be a faulty valve body, not the contact plate. A friend had similar issues with his E55, only 90k miles, he replaced the contact plate, same....then a new valve body (comes with a new contact plate) and problem was fixed. The second time we took the transmission apart; could not see anything wrong, clutches looked good, so he went for the complete valve body, only problem being it's not a cheap part to "try." We suspect something in the valve body was causing pressure loss, and thus slippage and erratic shifts.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Mine was slipping from 2-3 and would flare up but would still catch the gear. No codes but I stopped driving it right away and tore it down to find this freewheel came apart.

Last edited by Rocman8; 02-15-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:47 PM

2004 E55
Mine was slipping from 2-3 and would flare up but would still catch the gear. No codes but I stopped driving it right away and tore it down to find this freewheel came apart.
My car never makes it to 3rd gear ever. It tries then just goes into never land like it cannot find the gear, spins freely then will drop back into 2nd and throw the following codes.

TCU err codes in DAS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6n4p0mb264w4mz/2016-01-31%2000.50.02.jpg?dl=0

Adaptation Value Screenshots as requested:
1/2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f26ghsuxfxgke6g/2016-02-02%2012.25.05.jpg?dl=0

2/3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0j7bm4y4j99ldn/2016-02-02%2012.25.22.jpg?dl=0

3/4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vw84v8pk9ki9uqe/2016-02-02%2012.25.33.jpg?dl=0

4/5

https://www.dropbox.com/s/541yq28ztxoyb8o/2016-02-02%2012.25.43.jpg?dl=0

5/4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/835vifayeclroqr/2016-02-02%2012.25.53.jpg?dl=0

4/3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n86exbqr2egxg0c/2016-02-02%2012.26.12.jpg?dl=0

3/2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4l1auzc39q72iz/2016-02-02%2012.26.24.jpg?dl=0

2/1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jl7ovivcvajlzvq/2016-02-02%2012.26.36.jpg?dl=0

Hoping this gets us a little further,
Will
Old 02-02-2016, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
looks like all the adaptation values have recently been reset and then you have been driving around a little bit in 1st and 2nd gear. all the adaptation fill times are 0 so no help there. looks like its time for a tear down.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:03 PM

2004 E55
Tearing valve body down tonight, 12 more qts of lube just arrived...

looks like all the adaptation values have recently been reset and then you have been driving around a little bit in 1st and 2nd gear. all the adaptation fill times are 0 so no help there. looks like its time for a tear down.
Yes, the adaptations have been cleared out. I am going to tear down the valve body and vacuum test the prone areas known to fail. After a bit more research I am excited to see what I find. Updates to follow in another thread. Rocman I am not saying you are wrong, she may be completely broken, if so I will cross that bridge when I come to it. My optimism remains...I am learning a new brand, so there will be stumbles...like why I did'nt clean it better to begin with...

You know what they say if you fail try try try again....

Closing this thread down and will update another thread with a clear title and progress of valve body tear down and refurb.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!
Old 07-19-2016, 05:01 PM

2004 E55
Closing loop on thread

Rocman8 and other's help was amazing all info was spot on... and sadly resulted in a transmission swap which resolved the issue.

On to the AC and doing the Long Tubes I have for her now... thanks all!
Old 03-08-2019, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cars
Question for you my friend! I have a 04 e500. My car airbags were dead and killed the pump so my car was super low. I was driving it home and went over a speed bump at about 10 mph and the car rose over the speed bump and slammed down on the transmission and dragged. After that my check engine light went on and my car will not shift out of 1st gear. It does reverse and it does go into drive and park. At 3000 RPM it goes 30 mph. When shifting about half the time it jerks the car. I bought a conductor plate kit and I was thinking of starting there. While the valve body is dropped I wanted to ohm the solenoids and I believe they should be around 5.5 mohms. Any ideas to point me in the right direction?