Sponsored by:

leaving suspension in sport 2 mode bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
"knowbenz" read page 226-227 of the owners manual...... then you might actually learn something.

TLDR? Going from sport 1 to sport will lower your ride height
Old 02-23-2016, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by knowbenz
Do you align your car at 60mph?
Are you still saying alignment values don't change?
Old 02-23-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
"knowbenz" read page 226-227 of the owners manual...... then you might actually learn something.

TLDR? Going from sport 1 to sport will lower your ride height
Yeah I read it, it states it lowers at speed not at rest, clearl states when the speed decreases it returns to normal ride height
Old 02-23-2016, 01:29 PM

Benz
Originally Posted by HeissRod
Are you still saying alignment values don't change?
I'm saying ou align the car when it isn't moving.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
E63S
I had only one washer on each front and rode around in sport 2. You can see the negative camber at rest. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see there is camber. Look at a profile shot of your car. You can visually see it. I burned through 2 front tires in about 7K miles.

You cannot lower the car at rest without washers. The button affects height at speed. Over speeds of 68MPH the car will lower 0.4 in Comfort and 0.6 in Sport 2.

Bottom line is when the car lowers itself its affects the suspension geometry. It sits lower and lowers further at speeds in sport 2. That affects camber and toe. Its minor but tire wear will be slightly higher when in sport 2 but only at speeds above 68MPH.

Anyone that questions this should read page 262 of the manual.

BTW the car does lower itself when parked after the engine is shut off in Comfort. So for those good pictures when parked, switch it to comfort and wait 60 seconds.
The following users liked this post:
PNW_E63_AMG (08-19-2022)
Old 02-23-2016, 01:39 PM

Benz
Originally Posted by agregory23
I had only one washer on each front and rode around in sport 2. You can see the negative camber at rest. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see there is camber. Look at a profile shot of your car. You can visually see it. I burned through 2 front tires in about 7K miles.

You cannot lower the car at rest without washers. The button affects height at speed. Over speeds of 68MPH the car will lower 0.4 in Comfort and 0.6 in Sport 2.

Bottom line is when the car lowers itself its affects the suspension geometry. It sits lower and lowers further at speeds in sport 2. That affects camber and toe. Its minor but tire wear will be slightly higher when in sport 2 but only at speeds above 68MPH.

Anyone that questions this should read page 262 of the manual.

BTW the car does lower itself when parked after the engine is shut off in Comfort. So for those good pictures when parked, switch it to comfort and wait 60 seconds.
This guy can read
Old 02-23-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
E63S
This guy can read
It's done wonders for my career.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:47 PM

Benz
Originally Posted by agregory23
It's done wonders for my career.
Same ere, now if only others can learn to read
Old 02-23-2016, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Before I lowered my car, I watched it reduce ride height when moving from Comfort > Sport, when the car was stationary and after idling in Comfort for a few minutes with no one inside. I don't know how to convince you of this, so it looks like a stalemate.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:36 PM

Benz
Before I lowered my car, I watched it reduce ride height when moving from Comfort > Sport, when the car was stationary and after idling in Comfort for a few minutes with no one inside. I don't know how to convince you of this, so it looks like a stalemate.
So after lowering it, it no longer lowers when you press the button?
Old 02-23-2016, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So after lowering it, it no longer lowers when you press the button?
No, it does not. There is a minimum threshold that can be reached without use of a lowering module. I've reached that with STAR.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At least we all seem to be in agreement (well I question one person's agreement) that driving in Sport I or Sport II does affect alignment values and will kill tires faster than Comfort.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
W211 E55 2003
knowbenz, please read here how the SAS and ADS works, and what button does what

http://bayhas.com/mercedes/w211/contents/INDEX.htm

And if you dont ill just post here what is says about the _raise_ button as well as the damping settings.

"Level adjustment pushbutton (N72s18)

The driver is able to select either normal level (NN) or a raised level (EN1) using the level adjustment pushbutton.
The driver request is canceled, however, depending on the speed of the car. If the speed of the car is greater than 120 km/h or if a time threshold of 5 minutes is exceeded between 80 - 120 km/h, the vehicle is lowered to normal level (NN).

The position of the pushbutton is transmitted not directly by the SAS control module but via the central gateway (CGW). The lower control panel (LCP) transmits the current position of the pushbutton over the CAN-B: The CGW then relays this information from the CAN-B over the CAN-C. The LEDs in the pushbutton are operated in the reverse order.

A bulb test is performed when ignition ON and engine OFF. In this case, the LEDs in the pushbutton are energized until the engine is started. After the engine has been started, the current driver input is indicated."

and

"Comfort/Sport pushbutton (N72s25)

Separate maps, which can be retrieved with the chassis pushbutton, are stored for suspension, level and
damping. The current status is indicated by function LEDs.
* The LEDs are off in the ‘Comfort” status.
* The top LED is energized in the “Semi-Sport” status.
* Both LEDs are energized in the “Sport” status.

The level of the car is permanently lowered by 15 mm relative to the normal level if position 1 or 2 is selected with the Comfort/Sport pushbutton.
The system is wakened by means of a wake-up function which starts when a door or the trunk lid is opened or if the remote control is operated.

If the car is at a critical level, the car is raised just before start by means of the central reservoir and/or compressor."
Old 02-23-2016, 03:35 PM

Benz
Originally Posted by Elhonaz
knowbenz, please read here how the SAS and ADS works, and what button does what

http://bayhas.com/mercedes/w211/contents/INDEX.htm

And if you dont ill just post here what is says about the _raise_ button as well as the damping settings.

"Level adjustment pushbutton (N72s18)

The driver is able to select either normal level (NN) or a raised level (EN1) using the level adjustment pushbutton.
The driver request is canceled, however, depending on the speed of the car. If the speed of the car is greater than 120 km/h or if a time threshold of 5 minutes is exceeded between 80 - 120 km/h, the vehicle is lowered to normal level (NN).

The position of the pushbutton is transmitted not directly by the SAS control module but via the central gateway (CGW). The lower control panel (LCP) transmits the current position of the pushbutton over the CAN-B: The CGW then relays this information from the CAN-B over the CAN-C. The LEDs in the pushbutton are operated in the reverse order.

A bulb test is performed when ignition ON and engine OFF. In this case, the LEDs in the pushbutton are energized until the engine is started. After the engine has been started, the current driver input is indicated."

and

"Comfort/Sport pushbutton (N72s25)

Separate maps, which can be retrieved with the chassis pushbutton, are stored for suspension, level and
damping. The current status is indicated by function LEDs.
* The LEDs are off in the ‘Comfort” status.
* The top LED is energized in the “Semi-Sport” status.
* Both LEDs are energized in the “Sport” status.

The level of the car is permanently lowered by 15 mm relative to the normal level if position 1 or 2 is selected with the Comfort/Sport pushbutton.
The system is wakened by means of a wake-up function which starts when a door or the trunk lid is opened or if the remote control is operated.

If the car is at a critical level, the car is raised just before start by means of the central reservoir and/or compressor."
So according to that the level is permanently lowered when you push the button and other the manual and official training information state it lowers at speed when you push the switch. I have not witnessed my vehicle lower at idle when pushing the button so I am sticking with the two sources against your one.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Holy smokes. What a ****ty argument. I can sit in my car and press the comfort/S1/S2 and watch and feel the car raise and lower, all while stationary. Not to mention if I press it I can noticeably see the difference in height from outside the car (wheel to guard).

I think we all agree the car drops automatically at speed too.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Originally Posted by sexyxe
Holy smokes. What a ****ty argument. I can sit in my car and press the comfort/S1/S2 and watch and feel the car raise and lower, all while stationary. Not to mention if I press it I can noticeably see the difference in height from outside the car (wheel to guard).

I think we all agree the car drops automatically at speed too.
I know this is true with the height adjustment, left of the damper adjustment. Do Arnott replacements act the same as oem? I'm confused about air shocks and air springs that seem to be a single unit at least the rears, yes? Or fronts also, yes? In that case would changing dampening on shocks also change ride height?

But OP asked if it hurt to drive in sport 2 which adjusts dampening and it seems it would not.

Last edited by Dublinoh; 02-23-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arnotts function the exact same way as OEM.

Originally Posted by Dublinoh
But OP asked if it hurt to drive in sport 2 which adjusts dampening and it seems it would not.
Then you didn't understand the thread. Sport 2 will wear the tires faster.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:33 AM

Benz
Arnotts function the exact same way as OEM.

Then you didn't understand the thread. Sport 2 will wear the tires faster.
There are entirely too many variables to just say that sport 2 will wear tires faster.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2006 CLS63, 2004 ML55, 2014 E350 sport
Knowbenz: Get two bits of custom wood just longer than the wheels that come up to the middle of the wheel and two tape measures cut slots in the wood if you feel the need run the tape and measure.

push the buttons roll the car backwards and forwards and re measure.

You can also get a cheap inclometer and inform us on that measurement.

BTW I have already done this but TBH I cant be assed getting into this argument as its pretty clear to me that its highly possible that even if I beat you across the head with a stick with the measurements on it it still might not get through.

Last edited by austingtir; 02-24-2016 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are entirely too many variables to just say that sport 2 will wear tires faster.
Holy crap. Still? Per your words, the car will lower a speeds. The car lowers further in Sport 2 vs. Comfort based on the table shown in the owners manual on the previous mentioned page. When you lower these cars, negative camber increases and rear toe in is increased. Both of these speed up the wear of tires. You can find evidence of this all over the forum. Quit being so pig-headed.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:31 AM

Benz
Holy crap. Still? Per your words, the car will lower a speeds. The car lowers further in Sport 2 vs. Comfort based on the table shown in the owners manual on the previous mentioned page. When you lower these cars, negative camber increases and rear toe in is increased. Both of these speed up the wear of tires. You can find evidence of this all over the forum. Quit being so pig-headed.
If one does 90% city driving rarely going over 45mph then this will have little to no effect. As it is the 15mm it lowers will have such a small change in camber that it doesn't really matter anyways. Also different tires will wear at different rates so we need to keep that in mind as well. Again, too many variables
Old 02-24-2016, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 02-24-2016, 01:51 PM

Benz
Animal abuse does NOT affect tire wear at ALL
Old 02-24-2016, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If one does 90% city driving rarely going over 45mph then this will have little to no effect.
If the car never leaves the garage, then it will not have alignment wear issues and eventually become a barn find.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
[QUOTE=knowbenz;6716622 Do you align your car at 60mph?[/QUOTE]

Hahaha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: leaving suspension in sport 2 mode bad?