Sponsored by:

E55 Muffler Delete - Help with tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
E55 Muffler Delete - Help with tips?

Brought my car in to my local shop for a muffler delete. Got a call a few hours later and they said that due to the way the muffler is made that new tips will be needed to fit properly. I haven't really taken a good look at the mufflers but I trust the guy and his work.

My question is, has anyone had this same experience? If so, where did you get your new tips from? I'd like to keep OEM style.

Is standard size 2.5" inlet or 3"?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
By no means am I trying to say this in any negative manner, but if your shop is as skilled as you think, he should be able to re-use the same oem tips without a problem. There are many people here that have used their oem tips.

I don't think you'd want to go with replicas. Mainly because the sizing is much smaller. I know this because it's what i did on my W208 CLK for my quad setup.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by babyboigsxr
By no means am I trying to say this in any negative manner, but if your shop is as skilled as you think, he should be able to re-use the same oem tips without a problem. There are many people here that have used their oem tips.

I don't think you'd want to go with replicas. Mainly because the sizing is much smaller. I know this because it's what i did on my W208 CLK for my quad setup.
His reasoning was that the tips were individual instead of a Y pipe. He said he could make it work but it would take some custom fabrication.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
^
That would probably be the best route to go.
Only because if you went with other tips, it loses the OEM look / effect.
It'll be well worth the job (if done well).
Old 04-17-2016, 11:35 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by Ders
Brought my car in to my local shop for a muffler delete. Got a call a few hours later and they said that due to the way the muffler is made that new tips will be needed to fit properly. I haven't really taken a good look at the mufflers but I trust the guy and his work.

My question is, has anyone had this same experience? If so, where did you get your new tips from? I'd like to keep OEM style.

Is standard size 2.5" inlet or 3"?
Other option is to have the shop cut the stock muffler open and remove all the inner material. Supposedly sounds sweet "C63 like". Search for "gutted e55 muffler".