Sponsored by:

Arnott--New vs. Reman.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
Hi all,

Unfortunately my front driver side blew up as I was driving back from work on my 2007 E63. There were no indication whatsoever that it was coming such as leaks or dropping overnight. It just blew up - great!

Anyways the front passenger side had been replaced in 2017 by the dealer - I can see this from the service history of the previous owner. So one side is 1 year old and the other side that blew was old. Because of this I am not going to replace them in pair, want to keep the auto damping on both side, and will be buying remanufactured Arnotts. What are your thoughts on this?

Also what are the torque specifications for the bolts when replacing? should I just tighten them as much as I can?

Last edited by Rovel; 06-21-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
07' E63
While I was beginning to address my high idle from day one of owning my 2007 E63, my first step was to remove the Intake Manifold only to find that it was pretty trashed with oil flooding the lower Pan as well as several of the stands on top which keep the air tube in place broken off. I'm already in South Florida so I drove down to Pompano to see Rebuild Master Tech. I talked with both the owner and one of the tech guys about what would be entailed in rebuilding my Intake and they mentioned that they in fact had another top half they could use if necessary. After a thorough explanation and some laughs, I left it with them to do there thing and boy am I glad I did. A week or so later, no rush for me as I was also rebuilding the front end and ultimately decided to remove both Heads to be rebuilt, I went down to both pick-up my Intake and while I was at it, I brought both of my Airmatic Struts because one was OEM and leaking and the other was an Arnott. Well let me just say the Intake Manifold was completely rebuilt beautifully with a fresh coat of paint!! I had also busted the fitting where the hose from the solenoid up front attaches and that was fitted with a brand new one. Additionally, they "upgraded" the throttle plenum as it was thoroughly destroyed with dozens of holes one could clearly see! Their "upgraded plenum" itself sells for $200 on eBay, so I certainly was very satisfied with both the quality of the work as well as the cost of around $650 IIRC?

As to the Struts, they took one look at the Arnott and explained that they couldn't accept it to be remanufactured for a discount on the purchase of one of their remand ones they build in-house. When I asked why, the tech showed me the chamber where that Sensor cord extends from and explained that they couldn't even work on the Arnott due to their modification of the chamber essentially blocking it from operating properly by way of electrically altering it thus "tricking" the ECU into thinking there is no fault. This allows for the Strut to only set at a specified level, with no active dampening! Because of this, I opted to buy both fully functional RMT front struts for roughly $600, maybe a bit more, and RMT was kind enough to give me discount on the one that was OEM. I couldn't have had a better experience with them!!!

Last edited by E63007; 07-03-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by E63007
... When I asked why, the tech showed me the chamber where that Sensor cord extends from and explained that they couldn't even work on the Arnott due to their modification of the chamber essentially blocking it from operating properly by way of electrically altering it thus "tricking" the ECU into thinking there is no fault. This allows for the Strut to only set at a specified level, with no active dampening! ...
not sure if i am misinterpreting but are you saying that arnotts struts have active dampening disabled?. when i switch between comfort sport sport+ they are not really doing anything?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:08 PM

2005 c230
I have same question, and would like for the Arnott rep to chime in. And is this is true, is it also true for the new arnotts I just bought?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ CL-CLASS
Arnott offers both remanufactured Original Equipment (O.E.) front struts AND Arnott Designed NEW front struts for the E-Class W211 AMG. The one on your vehicle that couldn't be rebuilt was an Arnott designed new strut which does not include any of the Semi-Active Damping Functionality (ADS = Adaptive Damping System) so there would no reason or advantage to rebuild them (plus, since it is new it most likely was still functional anyway). Arnott remanufactured OE struts support the active damping functionality of the Mercedes strut but have an unknown number of miles on the internal shock while Arnott New struts have a brand new, zero mile, custom valved shock without active damping but they do adapt to the drivers style. It all comes down to budget and the age and miles on the vehicle (some of which are going on 15 years old).

Each remanufactured OE strut is steam cleaned, tumble blasted down to raw metal, repainted with corrosion resistant paint, the internal damper is recharged with new seals, cap, and high performance shock oil replacing the old worn oil and then they undergo computer testing of the damper (Dyno tested) and ADS Coil to assure proper functionality (you would be surprised how many don't pass these tests and are trashed). Then the air spring assembly is rebuilt and attached which includes new, tier one manufactured, polyurethane bump stop, heavy duty crimp rings, check valve and air line fitting along with a multi-ply ContiTech air bladder. Remans cost a bit less but require a refundable core deposit and are not sold outside of the US or Europe. They are often in short supply.

Arnott designed NEW struts feature a brand new shock damper which was custom made and tuned for the E-Class and has zero miles. The new damper provides an excellent ride for your 9-15+ year old vehicle. The new strut does not include the active damping which often wear out in older 10+ year old OE units but the Arnott strut still maintains your vehicle’s luxury Airmatic® auto and load leveling capabilities. Arnott designed new struts provide a fully functional air suspension strut which provides auto leveling and the luxury of air springs to smooth out bumps and provide the premium ride owners expect. The top is machined in our CNC machine shop from aircraft quality American aluminum which is stronger than the pressed steel OE top. Arnott’s new struts feature thicker, name brand, multi-ply air bladders, nearly indestructible seals and a brand new, tighter fitting, bottom mount and top cap. We add the same heavy duty, multi-ply, ContiTech air bladder, crimping rings, and air line connectors as in the reman strut but replace the ADS coil with a device to turn off any dashboard air suspension warning lights. They cost a bit more but we may buy back your used OE core strut for $50 each including shipping.

Arnott-designed new struts are an excellent alternative for aging air suspension systems because they provide the luxury, comfort, and auto leveling of air springs but replace the older original active damping shock with a new, custom-valved shock designed to provide a great ride at a more affordable price.

For more information on both the new and reman struts and all of Arnott's products for the W211:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...5-e63-amg/2007

Last edited by arnottdoug; 07-03-2018 at 02:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hachiroku (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 02:22 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by arnottdoug
Arnott offers both remanufactured Original Equipment (O.E.) front struts AND Arnott Designed NEW front struts for the E-Class W211 AMG. The one on your vehicle that couldn't be rebuilt was an Arnott designed new strut which does not include any of the Semi-Active Damping Functionality (ADS) so there would no reason or advantage to rebuild them (plus, since it is new it most likely was still functional anyway). Arnott remanufactured OE struts support the active damping functionality of the Mercedes strut but have an unknown number of miles on the internal shock while Arnott New struts have a brand new, zero mile, custom valved shock without active damping but they do adapt to the drivers style. It all comes down to budget and the age and miles on the vehicle (some of which are going on 15 years old).

Each remanufactured OE strut is steam cleaned, tumble blasted down to raw metal, repainted with corrosion resistant paint, the internal damper is recharged with new seals, cap, and high performance shock oil replacing the old worn oil and then they undergo computer testing of the damper (Dyno tested) and ADS Coil to assure proper functionality (you would be surprised how many don't pass these tests and are trashed). Then the air spring assembly is rebuilt and attached which includes new, tier one manufactured, polyurethane bump stop, heavy duty crimp rings, check valve and air line fitting along with a multi-ply ContiTech air bladder. Remans cost a bit less but require a refundable core deposit and are not sold outside of the US or Europe. They are often in short supply.

Arnott designed NEW struts feature a brand new shock damper which was custom made and tuned for the E-Class and has zero miles. The new damper provides an excellent ride for your 9-15+ year old vehicle. The new strut does not include the active damping which often wear out in older 10+ year old OE units but the Arnott strut still maintains your vehicle’s luxury Airmatic® auto and load leveling capabilities. Arnott designed new struts provide a fully functional air suspension strut which provides auto leveling and the luxury of air springs to smooth out bumps and provide the premium ride owners expect. The top is machined in our CNC machine shop from aircraft quality American aluminum which is stronger than the pressed steel OE top. Arnott’s new struts feature thicker, name brand, multi-ply air bladders, nearly indestructible seals and a brand new, tighter fitting, bottom mount and top cap. We add the same heavy duty, multi-ply, ContiTech air bladder, crimping rings, and air line connectors as in the reman strut but replace the ADS coil with a device to turn off any dashboard air suspension warning lights. They cost a bit more but we may buy back your used OE core strut for $50 each including shipping.

Arnott-designed new struts are an excellent alternative for aging air suspension systems because they provide the luxury, comfort, and auto leveling of air springs but replace the older original active damping shock with a new, custom-valved shock designed to provide a great ride at a more affordable price.

For more information on both the new and reman struts and all of Arnott's products for the W211:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...5-e63-amg/2007
WHat is ADS? Is it Comfort Sport Sport Plus settings that you manually switch?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:29 PM

2005 c230
Thanks Doug. I can say the valving/setting on your new unit feels perfectly fine for my driving habits. So in the end, I'm fine.

I do have another question: what prevents Arnott from including adaptive control in the new Arnott units?

Last edited by lseguy; 07-03-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ CL-CLASS
Originally Posted by lseguy
I do have another question: what prevents Arnott from including adaptive control in the new Arnott units?
There is a lot of technology in the ADS system - but as some have commented - the Arnott designed new struts ride is fine and costs far less.

The Mercedes-Benz® AIRMATIC suspension system combines pneumatic suspension (air suspension) with an Adaptive Damping System (ADS), which is supposed to individually adjust the shock absorbers forces to match the vehicle's payload, the state of the road surface and even the driving style. The system includes multiple sensors. When fully operational, these measure the lateral and longitudinal acceleration of the car during driving. From this data, the ADS Electronic Control Unit calculates the optimal damper setting for each individual wheel and transmits the signals to special actuator valves located on the gas-pressure shock absorbers essentially controlling the amount of oil that flows though the damper. These valves switch between different preset damping characteristics switching from comfort (more flow) to sporty mode (less flow).
The following 3 users liked this post by arnottdoug:
AMG-SVT-FTW (07-15-2018), hachiroku (07-03-2018), lseguy (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 04:54 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
OK...so the NEW struts on your site no longer support ADS...but the REMAN units do? your website doesn't clearly state that (states NEW custom valved), but i'm very glad I went with the REMAN's if so.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 07-14-2018, 11:51 PM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
I just installed my re manned Arnot front strut today. I didn't read the paper that came with the box and going off you tube instructional video applied torque to the brass airline. This popped it out because it stripped the plastic threads on the strut itself. I went to the hardware store and epoxied the brass fitting into the strut, no air leaks and it fills and deflates nicely but it wont be removed easily, but when it comes to that I'll retap the thread and convert to a larger brass fitting.

I didn't replace the front in pairs and haven't had any adverse affects, measured and no need for Airmatic Calibration.

Last edited by PieRat; 07-15-2018 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:22 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
new struts will perform differently than old struts...always recommended to replace in pairs but glad to hear you have no issues.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 07-17-2018, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Very interesting that not all arnotts offer ADS.

Coincidentally I had an arnott explode while I was sitting in the car. Very loud bang.

It was installed in 2016 by the dealer for the previous owner, 10k miles ago. The warranty didnt transfer to me. That's not cool.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:16 PM

2005 c230
not uncommon at all for parts warranties to apply only to owner who purchased the part. Cant' fault Arnott for that, in my opinion. However, one would expect the part to last longer than 2 years/10k miles. If it were me? I would have reached out (privately) to the manufacturer (in this case, Arnott) explaining the situation in a calm/respectful manner. Whenever I do that (in reasonable situations), I usually get the replacement for free, or at a greatly reduced discount.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:46 PM

2007 E63 Amg
I installed remanufactured 2 weeks ago. So far so good
Old 07-19-2018, 12:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 E55/04 SL55/R35 GTR
I replaced my front left with an Arnott a few years ago and have had zero issues
Old 08-09-2018, 07:52 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by Rovel
I installed remanufactured 2 weeks ago. So far so good
UPDATE on the remanufactured unit.
The car drops about a half inch overnight. Especially happens if I parked on a slope and the weight is more distributed towards the replaced unit. As soon as I turn it on it comes back to normal. Now, that was not happening before replacement, so I contacted FCP and they sent me a replacement under warranty. Going to change that soon and see what happens.

Question: how am I supposed to take the wheel well cover off? Last time I took all the screws off, but there was a wire in the middle of the cover running from top to bottom that prevented me from taking the cover off. I had to wiggle it around and replace the strut with the cover on. That is a pain in the ***. Have you guys taken the cover off? How did you detach that wire?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 PM

CLS55
Dunno I worked around that myself, the only hard bit was plugging in/taking off the wire for the airmatic.. but I just smashed the clip that holds it to the vehicle to bits and cable tied it up..Hope you have more luck with the next strut.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I just purchased these and will get $120 back for the core charge when I return the originals. Hopefully early next week they get put on.

https://suncoreindustries.com/produc...class-amg-w211

Old 08-22-2018, 06:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Originally Posted by Mimi05E55
I just purchased these and will get $120 back for the core charge when I return the originals. Hopefully early next week they get put on.

https://suncoreindustries.com/produc...class-amg-w211
aftermarket are a great cost effective option. But after speaking to a professional re builder they confirmed that unfortunately they cant replicate and create the same high rebound pressure in the damper part of the strut as the original equipment struts from the Mercedes factory.

I got this info from them after explaining why I felt the front Arnott struts feeling like the were bottoming out in comfort mode when going over hard bumps and end up driving around in sport suspension modes most of the time.. Not the case with my factory originals

Anyone else noticed this?
Old 08-22-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Originally Posted by new55
i was looking for the difference between an Arnott reman and Arnott new front air strut but can not find an answer even in this thread - anyone know the difference ? i thought i read the OEM style has better dampening/valving characteristics and the Arnott new version is limited somehow but can not find that thread now ??

just read your comment and I think I got the right info in my above post. They will not tell us that they cant provide the same dampening pressure as the original factory ones

they just cant fill their re-manufactured or new after market struts with enough pressure as the original.............who knows maybe the originals are gas filled and all the aftermarkets are oil filled
Old 08-22-2018, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I would love to have more info on this! My car is up on jack stands waiting for me to have time to redo the whole front end. I suspect the dampening part doesn't get messed with. I was hoping they could at least change the oil. I want full factory function. I would prefer not to pay full factory price, if that's possible.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:49 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Hi all,

Does anyone know if both front sides dropping about an inch overnight normal? The car has been sitting for 3 weeks and didn't drop more than an inch. Seems like regardless whether a day passed or 3 weeks it drops about an inch.

I think this started happening after I replaced the front left with arnot remanufactured. But I could be wrong as I wasn't taking measurements before the replacement. Arnot sent me a replacement part, but not sure if it is worth replacing. Does anyone know?
Old 09-30-2018, 04:12 PM

CLS55
Sounds normal to me. But I'm not 100% on that, my thinking below.

Think of it this way, the system will purge a little air when you turn it off so its not sitting idle at high pressure perhaps it is part of this system that is losing you the inch. Also, when you turn off the car after running, maybe the air inside is warm, and when it cools the pressure drops a little, like your tires, warm vs cold, the warm will be higher pressure than cold with the same amount of air in it.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:19 PM

2005 c230
my 2006 e55 does not drop an inch (or close to it) overnight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Arnott--New vs. Reman.