Rack/Front end replacement & Steering Angle Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fred flintstone mobile
Rack/Front end replacement & Steering Angle Sensor

Did a textbook front end refresh and steering rack replacement, used steering wheel lock prior to removal of rack/linkage intermediate shaft coupling so that it would not move/cause SAS (steering angle sensor) calibration issues.

Job complete & behold, we have DAS code C11BB to check sensor & ESP malfunction pops on center display at while driving due to the latter.

There seems to be some freeplay in the wheel when its centered, always has hence why I refreshed everything.

I'm wondering if we have a shaft/linkage issue here or the alignment will cure such.

What a PITA, this is simple stuff here.

Chime in please and thanks
Old 04-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Clear the fault!!-----------------------does the fault return!!
Old 04-29-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Jetta TDI [Daily] , Audi A8L [Sold], '12 STI [Sold], '06 E55 [Sold], '05 S500, '15 GLA250
I just did steering rack bushings, and the whole front end suspensions. I had ESP/ABS/Active Headlight Errors, and really heavy steering.

Turned out it was my wheel speed sensors were installed wrong. I installed the sensors, and then slid the plastic shield over them, instead of the other way around. Fortunately, it was a 30 second fix. But it did cause mayhem and I thought I really messed something more major up in the steering/steering angle sensor, etc...
Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Banned

fred flintstone mobile
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Clear the fault!!-----------------------does the fault return!!
I have Star, this is the first procedure... if the clearing of codes fixed it I wouldn't be posting on here. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:06 AM
Banned

fred flintstone mobile
Originally Posted by mkiv_tdi
I just did steering rack bushings, and the whole front end suspensions. I had ESP/ABS/Active Headlight Errors, and really heavy steering.

Turned out it was my wheel speed sensors were installed wrong. I installed the sensors, and then slid the plastic shield over them, instead of the other way around. Fortunately, it was a 30 second fix. But it did cause mayhem and I thought I really messed something more major up in the steering/steering angle sensor, etc...

Sensors are installed properly, I have a feeling its something to do with the coupling for intermediate shaft linkage to rack I do believe. I've had issues in the past after alignment the steering wheel going out of whack. Very little info on this topic, do the joints fail commonly? Anyone