W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Did this shop blow the motor ?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2016 | 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
Unhappy Did this shop blow the motor ?!

My friend who bought my car a while back was trying to sell it since he just upgraded to a CTSV as well. Car was running great as always. Had it sold to girl we both know. She takes it into this shop to smog it. Well it doesn't pass with the headers so she has them put the stock manifolds on and put stock cats back on.......

They called and told her that the car was running terribly after putting the stock exhaust back on and that cyl #8 has 50 PSI compression They were telling her that it was probably like this for a long time but with the headers on you didn't notice it ..........

I'm no expert but I don't see how the car would have been running super strong with a cyl with such low compression. Coincidentally the car is running like crap now too.

Is it possible the tune would be so far off without the headers ?

Personally I think they put stock exhaust back on and went for a drive, got into boost and popped the piston.

Oh and now she wants to get her money back and return car. Fun

Thoughts ?

Last edited by dllhg; 05-11-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2016 | 11:51 PM

e55 amg
If the cars tuned for catless headers, and you toss a restrictive exhaust back on, anything is possible.
Old 05-12-2016 | 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I could see that blowing a motor if they romped on it. Wouldn't a cyl with 50 PSI compression cause the motor to run poorly with or without restrictive exhaust ?

Last edited by dllhg; 05-12-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:28 AM

clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
Many people here have experienced the notorious #8 cylinder failing during WOT while the engine is in failsafe/limp mode. (that's what happened to me)

It's pretty safe to say the exhaust work didn't directly cause it.(it's most likely a fuel starving issue) Maybe a problem with their install and them driving the car like they stole it in limp mode?

Regardless, that really sucks. Then again, tell your friend to contact Shardul and get a sleeved motor to resolve the issue. Then boost the hell out of it, of course. Just say'in.....
The following users liked this post:
shardul (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016 | 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by EREBUS
Many people here have experienced the notorious #8 cylinder failing during WOT while the engine is in failsafe/limp mode. (that's what happened to me)

It's pretty safe to say the exhaust work didn't directly cause it.(it's most likely a fuel starving issue) Maybe a problem with their install and them driving the car like they stole it in limp mode?

Regardless, that really sucks. Then again, tell your friend to contact Shardul and get a sleeved motor to resolve the issue. Then boost the hell out of it, of course. Just say'in.....

But would that actually cause a low compression test ? Test showed 50 instead of 150 like the rest.
Old 05-12-2016 | 03:32 AM

2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Compression gauge doesn't lie my friend. YES, ENGINES DO GO BAD! So yours could be on its way out. If you're really worried do the compression test yourself or have them do it again. A leak down test can give you some more information, intake or exhaust side leak, but in any case if your engine is losing compression somewhere you'll need to have it dismantled and inspected.

Also why the **** would you think a smog shop blew your motor (my brother owns one and this really irritates me)? CA smog check for all 2001+ cars are functional (computer test) and visual only, no more dynomometer. It seems like you dogged the **** out of the car and then sold it to your friend. Just my $.02.

Last edited by biggking; 05-12-2016 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2016 | 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by biggking
Compression gauge doesn't lie my friend. YES, ENGINES DO GO BAD! So yours could be on its way out. If you're really worried do the compression test yourself or have them do it again. A leak down test can give you some more information, intake or exhaust side leak, but in any case if your engine is losing compression somewhere you'll need to have it dismantled and inspected.

Also why the **** would you think a smog shop blew your motor (my brother owns one and this really irritates me)? CA smog check for all 2001+ cars are functional (computer test) and visual only, no more dynomometer. It seems like you dogged the **** out the car and then sold it to your friend. Just my $.02.
Maybe my initial post wasnt clear Because the car was running like a champ until they got it and took off the headers. Then they called saying the car ran like crap and that cyl #8 had super low compression AFTER they worked on it ..... My friend had it for a good 10K miles. Car ran great the entire time both of us owned it until it was dropped off at this shop.

Yes they do OBD test but they also do a visual which is when they saw the headers hence the swap to stock manifolds.
Old 05-12-2016 | 03:52 AM

2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by dllhg
Maybe my initial post wasnt clear Because the car was running like a champ until they got it and took off the headers. Then they called saying the car ran like crap and that cyl #8 had super low compression AFTER they worked on it ..... My friend had it for a good 10K miles. Car ran great the entire time both of us owned it until it was dropped off at this shop.

Yes they do OBD test but they also do a visual which is when they saw the headers hence the swap to stock manifolds.
Didn't read your post correctly, thought you sold it right away to the new owner (not sure which one of you to blame :P). Regardless, the gauge doesn't lie, and your car doesn't just lose 100 lbs of compression due to a header change.

Still not sure what you are asking. Did the repair shop ruin the motor? Maybe. Do smog checks ruin engines? No.

Last edited by biggking; 05-12-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2016 | 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
It's My understanding that there are levels of the computer that even the dealer can't access. Black box data. I doubt if you can get at it through Mercedes, or any other way, but a well thought out bluff might get the shop to admit they were joyriding.
Old 05-12-2016 | 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Car passed too many hands to come to any conclusion of what happened.

It was yours then your buddy's and then another person.

3 different drivers
Old 05-12-2016 | 08:05 AM

2017 GLS 550
As far as who blew it up, it really shouldn't be either your or your friends concern. It also goes back to if the person paid for it, took the car from your friends possession and had no issues with it, knowing it had the mods it had. then took it to a shop to get smogged, then had them replace parts on the car. It really should be all on the new owner, it shouldn't be an issue, as I doubt your friend gave the new owner a warranty. Caveat Emptor!

Last edited by thtguy; 05-12-2016 at 08:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Minty Fresh (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016 | 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
It wasn't running like a bag of crap prior to them re installing the other parts correct ?
No complaints from her as to CEL or any other problems ?
If not we can only assume there was some hot rodding going on lol
Old 05-12-2016 | 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
When you had it was there ever a cel on the car?
Old 05-12-2016 | 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by thtguy
As far as who blew it up, it really shouldn't be either your or your friends concern. It also goes back to if the person paid for it, took the car from your friends possession and had no issues with it, knowing it had the mods it had. then took it to a shop to get smogged, then had them replace parts on the car. It really should be all on the new owner, it shouldn't be an issue, as I doubt your friend gave the new owner a warranty. Caveat Emptor!
This. Sold AS IS. You had a shop change the headers, so you are responsible for the result.
Old 05-12-2016 | 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is exactly how it went down ^^ and there was never a CEL.

The issue is she is someone we both know. Anyone else and I would say too bad so sad. That being said he shouldn't have to take a car back with a blown motor. Car drove in there running perfectly fine. Obviously they wouldn't be changing headers on a car with a blown motor. The shop had been driving it around to reset readiness codes prior to swapping the headers out. There was never a problem until they swapped them out. Then suddenly it ran terribly. When they were trying to figure out why, they decided to test compression and found a bad cyl.

It just doesn't add up. I don't see how back pressure on an already bad cyl would cause a car to run like crap at idle. Ran totally fine with headers. They are actually saying it will run like it did before if they put headers back on......

Never selling a car to a friend again..... too much headache.
Old 05-12-2016 | 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The issue is she is someone we both know. Anyone else and I would say too bad so sad. That being said we shouldn't have to take a car back with a blown motor. Car drove in there running perfectly fine. Obviously they wouldn't be changing headers on a car with a blown motor. The shop had been driving it around to reset readiness codes prior to swapping the headers out. There was never a problem until they swapped them out. Then suddenly it ran terribly so they decided to test compression and found a bad cyl.

It just doesn't add up. I don't see how back pressure on an already bad cyl would cause a car to run like crap at idle. Ran totally fine with headers. They are actually saying it will run like it did before if they put headers back on......

Old 05-12-2016 | 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Tell them to swap the headers back and prove it runs fine with them
Old 05-12-2016 | 12:29 PM

E55, Granturismo, F430, 993, E39, Jag
Regardless of where the blame lies, it's good of you to be concerned for you friend.
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Originally Posted by HeissRod
Tell them to swap the headers back and prove it runs fine with them
/\ this. I would also tell them you have GPS on the car and will be looking up the data logs as a bluff.
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
They changed the air flow on the engine and went out and "test drove it"? LOL, sounds like some dude went for a joy ride and popped the engine due to not having a proper tune and the car setup for a different setup.
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211
whomever at the shop that replaced the headers and "test drove it", would be looking at him to be the one possibly responsible. Esp if it ran fine prior going to the shop
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:30 PM

2017 GLS 550
Originally Posted by dllhg

The issue is she is someone we both know. Anyone else and I would say too bad so sad. That being said we shouldn't have to take a car back with a blown motor. Car drove in there running perfectly fine. Obviously they wouldn't be changing headers on a car with a blown motor. The shop had been driving it around to reset readiness codes prior to swapping the headers out. There was never a problem until they swapped them out. Then suddenly it ran terribly so they decided to test compression and found a bad cyl.

I would say "you will do what you can to help her fight the shop that did the work but in the end. it was running fine when you sold it to her." If she wants to return it, then I would have to say tough luck even if it ruined the friendship. I might offer to help fix it, but only to an extent. maybe source a Salvage yard motor for her, have her buy it, and maybe help her install. something to that effect.
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Friend just went to shop and checked it out. Well it doesn't run terribly. No CEL but has occasional misfire on #8 which is the one that tested low.

Going to give money back to the girl. Taking rest of mods off to sell, Smog the car and sell as is for cheap disclosing the low compression.

Don't think he is going to push hard with the shop. Apparently they aren't the kind of people you want to **** off ....... Better to take a loss on some $$ if you know what I mean.
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone looking for Ec long tube headers, 185mm crank pulley or belt wrap kit ?

Old 05-12-2016 | 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
What kind of shop is this? Who's it ran by? "A shop you don't want to **** off?". They potentially damaged a motor, dudes that instill fear in customers like that have no business being in business.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did this shop blow the motor ?!