Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Debating on getting an E55 AMG!

Hey all,

I've been reading a lot about w211 E55 AMG's and it keeps jumping in my mind.

I keep going back and forth on a 2012 C63 AMG or an E55 AMG.... I currently have a 2012 C300 4matic sport(i'd probably sell the car to get either of the above two choices, I'm pulling more towards the E for the price/ its more in my budget and much more space for a family)

I keep getting pulled to the E as I love the look of them so much and always have!

I've seen some nice E55's for around 20K; 100,000-150,000+KM on them,they looked in great shape.

I live in Canada how are these car's in the winter? I'd get winter tires of course.

What years should I avoid, what years are best?

What should I look out for?

How reliable are they?

what are the running costs/gas/year maintenance ?

I know the dealer usually kills you on prices so i would find a shop that can handle repairs, but i would do oil changes if they are as easy as the w204,and any maintenance i could.

this would be my first AMG and I hope to keep the car for 10 years if i can!

I don't plan on doing any engine mods, probably just a louder exhaust and all cosmetic upgrades.

I've always dreamed of having an AMG,since i was a young kid.... I never cared to have the super exotic cars(even tough in my eyes the E55 is one) AMG have always been special to me.

I know you guys probably have seen these questions ton of times before, but I'd appreciate the help. I can read all the older thread but the latest updates are always best.

Thanks and Im looking forward to your opinions!

Last edited by MB Marko; 06-08-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by MB Marko
Hey all,

I've been reading a lot about w211 E55 AMG's and it keeps jumping in my mind.

I keep going back and forth on a 2012 C63 AMG or an E55 AMG.... I currently have a 2012 C300 4matic sport(i'd probably sell the car to get either of the above two choices, I'm pulling more towards the E for the price/ its more in my budget and much more space for a family)

I keep getting pulled to the E as I love the look of them so much and always have!

I've seen some nice E55's for around 20K; 100,000-150,000+KM on them,they looked in great shape.

I live in Canada how are these car's in the winter? I'd get winter tires of course.

What years should I avoid, what years are best?

What should I look out for?

How reliable are they?

what are the running costs/gas/year maintenance ?

I know the dealer usually kills you on prices so i would find a shop that can handle repairs, but i would do oil changes if they are as easy as the w204,and any maintenance i could.

this would be my first AMG and I hope to keep the car for 10 years if i can!

I don't plan on doing any engine mods, probably just a louder exhaust and all cosmetic upgrades.

I've always dreamed of having an AMG,since i was a young kid.... I never cared to have the super exotic cars(even tough in my eyes the E55 is one) AMG have always been special to me.

I know you guys probably have seen these questions ton of times before, but I'd appreciate the help. I can read all the older thread but the latest updates are always best.

Thanks and Im looking forward to your opinions!
No one should look for one as a daily driver. There beyond a decade old / rear wheel drive / and as far as the average of all vehicles on the road considered high maintenance at this time. Stick with your newer C class until your looking at an E55 as a 2nd or 3rd car if you have a family.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1ForcedBenz
No one should look for one as a daily driver. There beyond a decade old / rear wheel drive / and as far as the average of all vehicles on the road considered high maintenance at this time. Stick with your newer C class until your looking at an E55 as a 2nd or 3rd car if you have a family.
Appreciate the input, I've found some for like 10-15k but you get what you pay for hahaha If i bought a budget one thats what i could afford at the moment and still keep my c class. i found a lot of 2004-2006 for sale at lower prices with over 150,000km on them but thats not to bad for the age of the car.

I wouldn't mind getting one with high milage for cheep and keeping my C class but as long as it has maintenance records and is a clean well taken care of car.

I would love to have one as a weekend driver, as i do most of my highway driving during the weekend. Im still curios about costs or ownership and my questions above. the last thing I would want is a weekend drive that breaks the bank and is always getting fixed.

another option would be to fix the 1979 450 SLC i have but right now,but i don't want that car anymore lol
Old 06-08-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E552004
Get a CTS V
Old 06-09-2016, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 E55
I daily drive my e55 and love it! find a low mile e55, maintain it, and call it a day.. Great all around cars.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dawson718
Get a CTS V
Not a fan of them, look wise. I'm really a MB fan since i've only really driven Mercedes and Volvos hahaha.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by e36uc
I daily drive my e55 and love it! find a low mile e55, maintain it, and call it a day.. Great all around cars.
Do you think the maintenance fee's would be the same as my w204, obviously parts would cost more as its an AMG But is it similar intervals with service A and B? what are the extras since its an AMG?

anything I should really look out for when buying one?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by e36uc
+1
Old 06-09-2016, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
I would sell mine .. not cheap tho.. 117km mad mods..
Old 06-09-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Wrong car for a year round driver with "weather" (ice, snow, slick roads, etc.).
Plan on an average of $1,500+ per year to maintain (includes a cost/average for tires, brakes, general maintenance and "general" repairs). This "average" could skyrocket if you have a problem For example, the local dealer quoted me $438 for a new drivers side door handle replacement (the keyless entry capability quick working). Good thing it still open via unlocking it with the key.
Aside from this; one of the most all around fun cars to drive, hauls 4-people, and runs real nice.
Just go into it eyes wide open.
Oh, also be aware if you buy one stock and "mod fever" hits it will run you another $5K+...

In the meantime, opportunity knocks with the previous post!
Old 06-09-2016, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MNM5ETR
Wrong car for a year round driver with "weather" (ice, snow, slick roads, etc.).
Plan on an average of $1,500+ per year to maintain (includes a cost/average for tires, brakes, general maintenance and "general" repairs). This "average" could skyrocket if you have a problem For example, the local dealer quoted me $438 for a new drivers side door handle replacement (the keyless entry capability quick working). Good thing it still open via unlocking it with the key.
Aside from this; one of the most all around fun cars to drive, hauls 4-people, and runs real nice.
Just go into it eyes wide open.
Oh, also be aware if you buy one stock and "mod fever" hits it will run you another $5K+...

In the meantime, opportunity knocks with the previous post!

thanks, I see a lot of C63's driving around in the winter and the E55 is a lot heavier. I know about mod fever but i'm pretty sure it will all be cosmetic upgrades, unless I buy one done right already.

I feel i need more room, the W204 is tight I'm 6'3" and it just a pain if someone sits behind me. Plus starting a family in a few years, the more space the better.

From the cost of maintenance it seems like every Mercedes has similar repairs, the cost of an AMG is greater just because it has that extra AMG tax hahaha. I can probably do breaks and oil my self but if its anything major I'm defiantly taking it to a shop.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dchl21
I would sell mine .. not cheap tho.. 117km mad mods..
PM'ed
Old 06-09-2016, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
These cars are very expensive to maintain. If you buy one expect to spend a lot of moola. They are fun but not cheap to own. Buy a cheap car expect to have or put the equal amount for repairs and maintenance. Maybe less if you're lucky.. Sometimes immediately. Multiple owner cars get resold because people think the car is cheap so it's a good deal. Dead wrong.. When they realize how much it costs to own many resell it and let the next guy deal with the issues.

Try to find a 1 or 2 owner car thats been well maintained. You will spend more but it's worth it.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can you guys elaborate on what will be expensive other than tires and brakes?

I'm fine with 1000-1500$ a year that seem reasonable, what are the extras/common things that can come up? I haven't followed this E55 forum to long to read all the headache people have had, I'm hoping you guys can fill me in.

I know anything can happen but I'm hoping I find a solid 1-2 owner clean well maintained car like you said, that would be ideal.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
You should be fine. As long as you know the risks and don't blindly walk into a 90K+ car for 10 grand and expect it to run like a cherry.

Just to name a few common items and services I have had performed on my car. Ive had to replace all my front bushings, sway bar bushings, Yes the car is heavy and if not taken care of it will make noises squeaks clicking to name a few.. New batteries, air filters, oil changes, fluid changes, trans fluid change with filter and gasket, rear main seal. gotta drop the trans for that. New front thrust arms twice in the last 8 years. Ball joints upper and lower. New alternator twice in the past decade, spark plugs 16 of them, My airmatic is starting to show signs of wear. Not sure what that is. and Now my fuel pumps and filters (every 50k) are due for replacement that is 1000 bucks without labor. But, you start to get the idea.

My car actually does run like a cherry. But, It is because I have meticulously maintained it and not let problems persist thus causing other issues. It hasn't been cheap. But, my car is rock solid.

Can you guys elaborate on what will be expensive other than tires and brakes?

I'm fine with 1000-1500$ a year that seem reasonable, what are the extras/common things that can come up? I haven't followed this E55 forum to long to read all the headache people have had, I'm hoping you guys can fill me in.

I know anything can happen but I'm hoping I find a solid 1-2 owner clean well maintained car like you said, that would be ideal.
The following users liked this post:
MB Marko (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Max.H
You should be fine. As long as you know the risks and don't blindly walk into a 90K+ car for 10 grand and expect it to run like a cherry.

Just to name a few common items and services I have had performed on my car. Ive had to replace all my front bushings, sway bar bushings, Yes the car is heavy and if not taken care of it will make noises squeaks clicking to name a few.. New batteries, air filters, oil changes, fluid changes, trans fluid change with filter and gasket, rear main seal. gotta drop the trans for that. New front thrust arms twice in the last 8 years. Ball joints upper and lower. New alternator twice in the past decade, spark plugs all 16 changed, My airmatic is starting to show signs of wear. Not sure what that is. But, you start to get the idea.

My car actually does run like a cherry. But, It is because I have meticulously maintained it and not let problems persist thus causing other issues. It hasn't been cheap. But, my car is rock solid.
hahaha ya I see the ones out there for 10k but I was hoping if I can get one for 20ish K that would leave me with more options, If i do decide to go over 20K i'd probably wait until next summer and save more money to get something really nice.

that seems almost like regular wear, with a few extras BUT you still have yours! so that means you must love the car and it has to be worth it!

thanks for this post it was very helpful
Max.H (06-15-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
09 E63 AMG
I just bought an 05. The dealer had it for awhile and priced it high at $26K. Only has 127K kms and was dealer maintained and very clean car no accidents. There were a couple for sale privately months ago around me (Calgary) for $18-$19K but sold fast I never had a chance to check them out. Plus I wasn't in the market for one yet. I test drove this one and that's all it took! Almost as fun as my 911 Turbo! I ended up negotiating at $21K out the door all in so may have paid a bit more but consider its worth it for a clean one.

One thing is I'm 6'4" and your rear passengers wont have much room if you are 6'3". And the car is awesome except lacks in the suspension department if you ask me. I know its a benz but would have liked a sportier suspension to throw it around windy roads.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Get one

If you find one that's been well maintained, it will make a great daily driver. I speak from experience, having driven the same 04 as a daily for over 8 years. A week ago was the first time I've been let down by it: my front passenger strut (airmatic) died...a known issue, so I'm not the least bit surprised. Now I'm in the middle of an Arnott coilover swap, so that won't happen again. Ironically, the day before, I killed two new Camaro SS's in one run. It was fun, and I was proud of my 12 year old beast beating down those two, while i had my AC running and one of them was top down.

Oil changes are easy and under $80 if you have a Costco membership, getting away from OEM rotors/pads adds years of dust free driving enjoyment. Tires go fast, so budget accordingly.

When things do happen, it is expensive! Look out for SBC (brakes) issues, gas tank/fuel sender, engine mounts, airmatic, etc. If any of these have been recently serviced, you're good to go. Otherwise you'll need to take care of in a matter of time, and they are costly.

Usually the drivers on this forum point out good cars or cars to avoid. Sometimes they even sell well maintained vehicles or post cream puffs that hit the market.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:27 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by maximus16v
I just bought an 05. The dealer had it for awhile and priced it high at $26K. Only has 127K kms and was dealer maintained and very clean car no accidents. There were a couple for sale privately months ago around me (Calgary) for $18-$19K but sold fast I never had a chance to check them out. Plus I wasn't in the market for one yet. I test drove this one and that's all it took! Almost as fun as my 911 Turbo! I ended up negotiating at $21K out the door all in so may have paid a bit more but consider its worth it for a clean one.

One thing is I'm 6'4" and your rear passengers wont have much room if you are 6'3". And the car is awesome except lacks in the suspension department if you ask me. I know its a benz but would have liked a sportier suspension to throw it around windy roads.
Your right. These are tough on rear passengers if the front occupants are tall. The suspension isn't that great and the car is top heavy. It's a blast on straightaways and rolling curves.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
09 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by WesttxJR
Your right. These are tough on rear passengers if the front occupants are tall. The suspension isn't that great and the car is top heavy. It's a blast on straightaways and rolling curves.
Keep me posted on your coilover swap. I imagine it will be a huge increase in performance suspension wise. If it is I may do it as well....strictly as preventative maintenance lol!
Old 06-12-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Mine is a daily driver. I'd say go for it, you won't be disappointed. Any car is going to need maintenance rather new or old, it just depends on how you take care of it and how the dice rolls.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Mine is also a daily driver that I've owned for 8 months. Bought it with 138,000 miles and now have 147k miles. I knew my 2006 E55 would need some initial work to get her up to duty. Paid $13,300 to buy, then new auxilliary battery, thermostat, rear tires (Nitto Invos), Strutmasters coilovers to replace Airmatic (I hate ten-year-old air suspensions), and finally new rear brake pads and rotors. The OEM stereo has horrible muddy bass and sucks in general, so I'm contemplating $2k to $4k for a whole new custom sound system. On the other hand, the new Ford Focus RS looks like a lot of fun, so I can't decide whether to keep the E55 for a few more years (so pay for a new audio system) or just go order the RS.

But after all that service my E55 is reliable, stable, goes REALLY fast, and looks terrific! It was $81k back in 2006, so I have a premium ride that looks and feels very fresh. This beast was the most powerful production sedan the year it was introduced, and you can get one now for cheap... if you're willing to commit to the maintenance. The cars are "cheap" because poor people can't afford to own them.

Last edited by Minty Fresh; 06-12-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Max.H (06-15-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon - CCB & CF package
hahaha ya I see the ones out there for 10k but I was hoping if I can get one for 20ish K that would leave me with more options, If i do decide to go over 20K i'd probably wait until next summer and save more money to get something really nice.

that seems almost like regular wear, with a few extras BUT you still have yours! so that means you must love the car and it has to be worth it!

thanks for this post it was very helpful
Hey Marko,

I have a low-mileage (70,800m - 113,000km) 2005, silver ext, black int. No accidents and extremely well maintained with all documents to show. It is totally stock other than wheels and a larger intercooler. All maintenance is 100% upto date. New brakes all around, new tires, every fluid and every filter (and i mean every single: diff, trans, engine, brake, coolant) was changed last fall, spark-plugs, intercooler pump, belts, alignment, new tank and fuel pumps, etc... You name it, its been taken care of.

The only catch is that I am leaving on a 3,000mile roadtrip in 2 weeks, im not sure if that affects your plans any. I will actually be driving through Canada as well (eastern) in case you are interested in seeing it. Plan was to finish the trip then post the car up for sale but if you want to intersect me to see it, that's totally cool.

I would like to get around $20K for it. I think that its more than fair considering what shape this car is in. Im a bit of a fanatic but it certainly works in my favor when it comes to selling my cars, haha.

Let me know. I am seriously itching for a W212 5.5TT so i think that it may be time to pass the E55 along.

Thanks!
NorthernVA (09-22-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Holy one weekend away and a ton of responses. Thanks to everyone for your help! Right now I'm not in a rush to jump in and buy, My purchase plan was for the next 3-4 months, just so I can read up and gather as much information as i possibly can.

I defiantly want to try to jump in and test drive a few, and possibly test drive a few other options like a C450, Im still debating but I do love the E55 styling since it came out and the performance is the selling point.

Just going off Canadian black book website, the average asking price for my W204 is 26k. Since I got such a steal of a deal on my car thats just over what I paid for it over a year ago. It might be a good idea to sell it soon.

For me it's harder buying a car than a house, my only want in a house is a big garage. open concept, new flooring,painting and a kitchen can all be done easily. It's more of a pain in he *** to get the garage permit ect. hahaha

I appreciate everyones input and if i do play on getting an E55, I'll defiantly make a post looking to buy an E55 and i'll contact some of you who have pm'ed me and posted.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:27 PM

2004 E55 AMG
hard job, happy it's finished

Originally Posted by maximus16v
Keep me posted on your coilover swap. I imagine it will be a huge increase in performance suspension wise. If it is I may do it as well....strictly as preventative maintenance lol!
I just completed my coil over swap...yes it took almost two weeks to complete. Luckily I didn't need the car during that time so I could take my time. All I can say is unless you've owned a German car before and already have a massive tool collection, get ready to shuck down on bits and sockets, etc. The rear end alone required Torx, 12 point (2 sizes), hex (2 sizes), 6 point bolt, and regular old bolt pattern (3 sizes, none standard).

My first impressions of the ride is it's very similar to Sport 1 mode. Not jarring, but very firm. It sits a bit higher than factory, which I've seen from others that have done the Arnott coils. I've also read they will relax after a little while and lower somewhat. With the condition of our streets, I don't need to sit any lower!

That said, i'm glad i did it. If you plan to do it, budget your time accordingly. The fronts are deceptively easy...the rears are not. It takes two sets of hands for some of the grunt work. The best part is I never have to worry about another Airmatic failure. I had it happen once, but it's knowing it can happen that is frustrating.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Debating on getting an E55 AMG!