Sponsored by:

OIL TEMP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MERCEDES E63 AMG W211 2008
OIL TEMP

Hi everybody,first post, i wonder if any one has an answer concerning the normal running temp of engine oil.I own an e63 2008 w211 and just this afternoon noticed a slight engine rattle when i checked oil level it was spot on.But,oil temp was 107 c Is this high and does any one know if there is a problem with engine knocking i filled the car with fuel today esso supreme 98 i cant say i have heard this noise before, hope you will give your opinions
Old 08-18-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
I used to sweat my engine oil temps as it seemed to run consistently higher than most everyone else who gave input in various threads discussing it. I also initiated a thread about it in the PL. In moderate outside temps (70ish F) cruising at 30 mph on hilly terrain, my temps have gone up to 123c. As soon as I get more air flowing thru the car, the temps lower. I've seen my oil temps at highway cruising speeds at around 107c in 100F outside temps (I'm in Texas) if I am running reasonably hard. In this scenario, it typically runs 100-103c, tho. NOTE: my car reads OIL temp in Celsius. My references to outside temps are in Fahrenheit.

I've discussed this issue at length with my trusted and very knowledgeable amg tech. Further input from the forums and PL lead to my conclusion: it's fine. Different cars run at different temps with different variables. My tech has thoroughly gone over my car and said it runs, behaves and measures like it should. Consensus is that if the oil temps are out of acceptable range, you'll get a cel and red gauge.

That being said, I still keep an eye on it and typically drive with that menu screen up (oil temp and gear # in the gauge cluster info).
Search oil temps here and in the W204 section. Also google it. You'll find some info.

Last edited by Skizz; 08-18-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Originally Posted by Mike Chiswell
Hi everybody,first post, i wonder if any one has an answer concerning the normal running temp of engine oil.I own an e63 2008 w211 and just this afternoon noticed a slight engine rattle when i checked oil level it was spot on.But,oil temp was 107 c Is this high and does any one know if there is a problem with engine knocking i filled the car with fuel today esso supreme 98 i cant say i have heard this noise before, hope you will give your opinions
Not sure what to make of "slight engine rattle" and "engine knocking". A little lifter noise is fairly common, but if it doesn't sound right, it may not be.

More specifics would help. Also, search on here for some of the buzz words you used. There are numerous posts and threads with video clips of various engine noises with folks wondering if it is normal. As mentioned before, also search W204 section. They also have the M156 engine and it is a very active section.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Ya, ive wondered this myself. Ive gotta E55 with E63 cluster.

Oil temp off the AMG screen reads in Celcius and will blink until it hits 80 degrees. So, I don't punch it before the temps warm up. Ive removed the fog lights and run black mesh on both sides so I get a lot more airflow to the oil cooler then stock.

My temps get up around 95-100 degrees cruising around nothing major. Ive seen it go above 100 when I drive it hard but it comes back down pretty quick.

Everything seems ok.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:11 PM
SPONSOR

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
my car in normal driving usually overs around 105-109C...when i begin to drive my car hard, it would seem that the oil cooler fans turn on as temps if rising, drop much faster than if they rise while cruising through traffic.

i use Motul 6100 or 8100 oil with Liqui Moly MoS2 and have not heard lifter tick/rattle once. when I ran Mobil 1 with Liqui Moly MoS2, I got tick/rattle 3 times.

its so loud it sounds like knock...had me really really worried and wouldn't go away until i got past 20mph...

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-18-2016, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Those temps are not out of line. I would however be concerned of the engine noise.i would search keywords to the sound it's making.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Max.H
Ya, ive wondered this myself. Ive gotta E55 with E63 cluster.

Oil temp off the AMG screen reads in Celcius and will blink until it hits 80 degrees. So, I don't punch it before the temps warm up. Ive removed the fog lights and run black mesh on both sides so I get a lot more airflow to the oil cooler then stock.

My temps get up around 95-100 degrees cruising around nothing major. Ive seen it go above 100 when I drive it hard but it comes back down pretty quick.

Everything seems ok.
Was there any SDS/Star coding with the E63 cluster in the e55? Any added functionality just looking to get my upgrade list hammered out. A wheel/Cluster Mod would be good icing on the cake!
Regards,
Will