Sponsored by:

Torque Converter - are they all the same "stock"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
2017 GLS 550
Torque Converter - are they all the same "stock"

So still having the issue with the trans between 1500 and 2500, where under part throttle it gets a little jittery. the Transfluid change helped, but not fully. the glycol test showed no glycol. So now I was thinking maybe I should just replace the TC. seems the consensus is that the Lockup function it having an issue. I need to hook up my DAG and disable lockup and see if that makes it shift smoother. So the question is, if it is the TC, did AMG do anything special with the stall rating on the AMG models or does it not matter. I have seen AMG E55 Stock "Specific" TCs and then some sights will have the same part number for an E55 or E500.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Nope they are not stock throughout all models and watch out for spammers who say otherwise!!-----use EPC to find the correct part less you will be back whining!!
Old 09-06-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211 320cdi
Originally Posted by thtguy
So still having the issue with the trans between 1500 and 2500, where under part throttle it gets a little jittery. the Transfluid change helped, but not fully. the glycol test showed no glycol. So now I was thinking maybe I should just replace the TC. seems the consensus is that the Lockup function it having an issue. I need to hook up my DAG and disable lockup and see if that makes it shift smoother. So the question is, if it is the TC, did AMG do anything special with the stall rating on the AMG models or does it not matter. I have seen AMG E55 Stock "Specific" TCs and then some sights will have the same part number for an E55 or E500.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
There is a common family of torque converters, AMG's have a twin lock up clutch iirc where as most others only have single, you also get high and low speed stall, my guess would be for petrol and diesel models.

The first 3 numbers and the 7th and 8th number stamped on the torque converter that give it what type it is, my e320cdi has a 211-13 type torque converter but the number stamped on it is A 211 250 13 02

They do have different bolt hole sizes and diameters, from the research Iv done, if you get a TC with matching numbers as above, it's should be the same fitting and functioning as the one it replaces.

I hope my information was helpful.