W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

idler belt pulley fell off... need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2016 | 11:47 PM

e46 m3, w211 e55
idler belt pulley fell off... need help

So I opened the hood and found the SC idler puller (tensioner drive belt pulley or whatever its called) on the floor.

I can't tell what is suppose to be there to hold it in place. Can you tell from the pic what is missing for me to put it back on? Also anything else I should check?

Is the car OK to drive without the belt on the SC? The rest of the belts are working fine. This is the belt tensioner pulley that connects to SC (but not the SC pulley itself - that is fine).
Attached Thumbnails idler belt pulley fell off... need help-img_4082.jpg   idler belt pulley fell off... need help-img_4084.jpg   idler belt pulley fell off... need help-img_4085-2.jpg   idler belt pulley fell off... need help-img_4086.jpg  
Old 09-09-2016 | 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by gazosnic
So I opened the hood and found the SC idler puller (tensioner drive belt pulley or whatever its called) on the floor.

I can't tell what is suppose to be there to hold it in place. Can you tell from the pic what is missing for me to put it back on? Also anything else I should check?

Is the car OK to drive without the belt on the SC? The rest of the belts are working fine. This is the belt tensioner pulley that connects to SC (but not the SC pulley itself - that is fine).

it looks like the bearing merely came apart. The inner race is still attached to the mount on the motor and the outer race is still retained in the pully by its retaining clip.

Replace the bearing ... directions can be found here https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ng-repair.html

hope that helps,
Chris
Old 09-09-2016 | 01:26 AM

e46 m3, w211 e55
Originally Posted by latemodel21
it looks like the bearing merely came apart. The inner race is still attached to the mount on the motor and the outer race is still retained in the pully by its retaining clip.

Replace the bearing ... directions can be found here https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ng-repair.html

hope that helps,
Chris
Thanks so much. I was able to push the portion of the bearing out of the pulley... just need to find a new bearing for replacement. Do you happen to know in the meantime if safe to drive without? Also is there a local option to source a replacement bearing? e.g. Mercedes part #?
Old 09-09-2016 | 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by gazosnic
Thanks so much. I was able to push the portion of the bearing out of the pulley... just need to find a new bearing for replacement. Do you happen to know in the meantime if safe to drive without? Also is there a local option to source a replacement bearing? e.g. Mercedes part #?
as long as the belt is off, seems like it should be fine.

The bearing is not a Mercedes service part as far as I know, so there would be no mercedes part number. You can likely pick it up at your local Motion Industries location if you can't wait to get it from amazon, ebay, etc. The 6203zz part number is a designation that describes the bearing and is not manufacturer specific. The zz part refers to the metal grease/dust shield and is not deal-breaker if you can't get it (as long as they have a 6203 that is sealed and is rated similarly for load and speed).

Hope that helps,
Chris
Old 09-10-2016 | 09:54 PM

w211 e55 amg
Yes, you can drive without the supercharger engaged.. which basically means you're driving an e500
Old 09-11-2016 | 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Purchase the bearing off of Amazon. NSK 6203 ZZC3 or equivalent. They're cheap. While you're at it, replace the plastic pulley with a Dayco 89130. My cost was about $27 for bearing and pulley.

While you're at it, you'll want to take a look at all the other pulleys; may be easier to replace them all right now while you have the belts off.