W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Focal Access speakers vs. stock HK speakers.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 E63 AMG
Focal Access speakers vs. stock HK speakers.

My amp is glitching and I want streaming Bluetooth plus Ipod audio, so I'm getting a new Kenwood head unit and an Alpine amp.

Many on here have said the HK speakers sound surprisingly good once you change out the head unit and amp, so that was my plan. I could add Focal's entry level Access series speakers, however, for $850.

Does anyone have experience with the difference between stock HK and the Focal Access speakers? Reviews for Access are quite good, but I just know know if the difference would be worth $850.

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-10-2016, 04:37 PM

2012 E63 AMG
I found another thread where the owner switched to Focals with existing amp and head unit, but added his own EQ. He thought the HKs were pretty close in performance to the Focals.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...placement.html
Old 11-10-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
I'll offer an opinion, but please take it as my opinion only. Audio is very subjective and your, or any others, mileage may vary.

I assume you are talking about the Access component set and not the coax? I've not used the Access, but I've used the K2p 6.5 in my 4runner. Very solid performers, great mids, good bass, but I don't care for their tweets. That's just me. Don't even care for them in their home speaks til you get to the Be's.

In any event, if you are changing head units and adding an amp (non-oem), in my opinion, the Focal's will outperform the stock speakers in that instance. IF you were leaving everything oem and just wanted to replace the speaks, I'd say no, it wouldn't be worth it. The Focals, in my experience, love power. I fed a bridged Zapco Comp 4.0 to my K2P's and they loved every bit of power I could throw at them. Granted, that was the K2P's, but I expect some familial behaviors with the Access. That said, if you underpower them, they can behave as they did in the thread you linked and get shouty and tinny. In my opinion, the Audison OEM integrator amps just don't have the power to bring out the best in a speaker like the Focals. If you have a reasonably powerful amp, I don't think that the HK's will keep up with the Focals. It's all about balancing the right system components. And balancing the results with your expectations.

That said, I assume $850 is with install, and that install includes some door panel treatment. Otherwise, that is way too much for the Access line.

Caveat: if you look at my sig line, I chunked my whole system, except HU, and started over. I looked at many options. That's why I can make the statement I did about the Audison oem integrator amp. After toying wit a number of scenarios, the AP8.9 didn't sound much better, to me, than the stock amp, and certainly not worth the cost. Adding power hungry speakers would only make things worse.

Other's experiences may be different.

Last edited by Skizz; 11-10-2016 at 09:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Blade Canyon (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 09:36 PM

2012 E63 AMG
It's $550 with install if I just want the fronts done. I had Focal tweeters in my BMW with an Alpine amp and HU, and honestly I LOVED them.

That was a very well thought out opinion. Thank you for your insight.

I think I'll stick with stock HK speakers for now. If I'm happy, then no reason to change the speakers.