Eurocharged and their poor products

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Anything can cause damage. Installing an aftermarket air filter can cause damage. Failure rate is what's important. If it fails so often it warrants a scatter shield I would not put that on my car lol
Can't argue with any of that. Failure rate IS what's important. Aftermarket upper (SC pulleys) do not compare well to factory uppers (though they seem to be improving) ...

However, Factory SC pulleys have are not failure proof either. My OE SC pulley on my 2003 SL55 self-destructed at about 50,000 miles (which was why I created the scattershield for the M113k in the first place).

I think it is important (for everyone, whether running aftermarket or OE) to routinely inspect the SC pulley for signs of cracking on the springs. If everyone did this (and replaced the pulley when signs appear), we would hear very few stories of catastrophic failure and the scattershield wouldn't be nearly as necessary.

Cheers,
Chris
The following 2 users liked this post by latemodel21:
blackbenzz (12-06-2016), Elhonaz (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
The welded ASP pulley's, when properly installed, are the safest route if more boost is desired. I wouldn't touch an aftermarket SC pulley with a ten foot pole. I have had the factory SC pulley bearings go out. Replaced the pulley at the dealer and no issues since. EC does not make those SC pulleys, AFAIK, they simply resell.
The following users liked this post:
blackbenzz (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Can't argue with any of that. Failure rate IS what's important. Aftermarket upper (SC pulleys) do not compare well to factory uppers (though they seem to be improving) ...

However, Factory SC pulleys have are not failure proof either. My OE SC pulley on my 2003 SL55 self-destructed at about 50,000 miles (which was why I created the scattershield for the M113k in the first place).

I think it is important (for everyone, whether running aftermarket or OE) to routinely inspect the SC pulley for signs of cracking on the springs. If everyone did this (and replaced the pulley when signs appear), we would hear very few stories of catastrophic failure and the scattershield wouldn't be nearly as necessary.

Cheers,
Chris
Very well put Chris. Agreed
Old 12-06-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 CLS63 S AMG
Damn, factory and aftermarket pulleys detonating? Maybe you guys should just up your cooling and go with a Fixed Pulley. Running a 77 FSP and it drove nice with a canned tune prior and really really nice after dyno tuning :-)

Personally, I'll avoid both clutched pulleys because of this thread and crank pulley because of the weight and risk of sheering it off. Not worth jacking up the most important mechanical piece in the car.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
lower pulley could f u up too ...if not install properly and or u got a ****ty one.

mines finally healthy again
Old 12-06-2016, 10:43 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
Originally Posted by CerBErusM113
Damn, factory and aftermarket pulleys detonating? Maybe you guys should just up your cooling and go with a Fixed Pulley. Running a 77 FSP and it drove nice with a canned tune prior and really really nice after dyno tuning :-)

Personally, I'll avoid both clutched pulleys because of this thread and crank pulley because of the weight and risk of sheering it off. Not worth jacking up the most important mechanical piece in the car.

I've seen several cars totally shell their motors with a fixed pulley. I'd rather have a clutch spring break vs my motor blow.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:34 AM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by carguyshu
I've seen several cars totally shell their motors with a fixed pulley. I'd rather have a clutch spring break vs my motor blow.
Would love to see proof of this, a mods list and not just hear say. And for the record running a fsp with inadequate cooling is a risk. I ran an 80mm for almost a year with just methanol spraying and it was fine in the summer heat in VA. Didn't see IATs over 140* on 130mph pulls in 100* heat.

That's why you increase your cooling. Hell, running more boost (which is why most of us are here ) you need to increase your cooling anyways so why not just go fixed and take the risk away from running a pulley than can grenade, is heavier and keeps the SC clutch in the loop.

And personally for me, I'd rather not mess with the crank pulley due to it's risk of falling off. I know there are fail safes against that as well but it's still adding weight and once you want to go 180mm+ you have to change the waterpump pulley anyways. Right now I'm running a 77mm FSP with a dyno tune. Need injectors soon but it's not unsafe with the tune on it.

Also, a lot of people state that it increases heat. It will run about 10* hotter than a clutched pulley because the pulley is constantly forcing hotter air into the throttle the Intercooler. But you also don't have to run the resistor either and the bypass valve is open so it's not much worst than a clutched.

I will say I have run it with the resistor in (clutch and bypass locked) and that was when I was using a Heat Exchanger in the summer months. It was nearly impossible to keep the heat under control at a stop, I think that is most people's experience with a fixed pulley.

Either way, just my .02 Sorry to the OP about your problems with your pulley. I know Eurocharged is a good company and haven't steered me wrong. But in all business you're gonna have happy and upset customers. Hope it all works out
Old 12-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2014 ML63 AMG, 2012 McLaren MP4-12C, 1999 GMC Sierra, 1994 Chevy Astro, 1990 Honda CRX
exactly. The UPD upper pulley with a shield is probly the safest route. That or you could order a pulley from DTK and attach it to your stock clutch by putting in new rivets and that will have the same reliability as stock (which again stock reliability on that upper pulley isn't great either)
Aren't all of the pulleys UDP and just resold by others?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 PM

2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
Originally Posted by CerBErusM113
Would love to see proof of this, a mods list and not just hear say. And for the record running a fsp with inadequate cooling is a risk. I ran an 80mm for almost a year with just methanol spraying and it was fine in the summer heat in VA. Didn't see IATs over 140* on 130mph pulls in 100* heat.

That's why you increase your cooling. Hell, running more boost (which is why most of us are here ) you need to increase your cooling anyways so why not just go fixed and take the risk away from running a pulley than can grenade, is heavier and keeps the SC clutch in the loop.

And personally for me, I'd rather not mess with the crank pulley due to it's risk of falling off. I know there are fail safes against that as well but it's still adding weight and once you want to go 180mm+ you have to change the waterpump pulley anyways. Right now I'm running a 77mm FSP with a dyno tune. Need injectors soon but it's not unsafe with the tune on it.

Also, a lot of people state that it increases heat. It will run about 10* hotter than a clutched pulley because the pulley is constantly forcing hotter air into the throttle the Intercooler. But you also don't have to run the resistor either and the bypass valve is open so it's not much worst than a clutched.

I will say I have run it with the resistor in (clutch and bypass locked) and that was when I was using a Heat Exchanger in the summer months. It was nearly impossible to keep the heat under control at a stop, I think that is most people's experience with a fixed pulley.

Either way, just my .02 Sorry to the OP about your problems with your pulley. I know Eurocharged is a good company and haven't steered me wrong. But in all business you're gonna have happy and upset customers. Hope it all works out
A quick search of the boards will show you several instances of motor failure with a fixed. Usually the pump fails & logging either isn't watched closely enough or not at all & the thing grenades.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by EMFAudio
Aren't all of the pulleys UDP and just resold by others?
DTK makes a pulley that is just the pulley & no clutch. You have to attach it with rivets to the oem clutch. Comes in lots of sizes not just 77 & 83. He supposedly is coming out with a version soon that has a clutch attached to it. UPD to my knowledge is the only one that is the complete unit with a clutch at this time.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:54 AM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
A quick search of the boards will show you several instances of motor failure with a fixed. Usually the pump fails & logging either isn't watched closely enough or not at all & the thing grenades.
Yea, I did that search of the boards. I searched "FSP" instances and "Fixed pulley engine" and all I got were people talking about the tunes not being hammered out. Maybe you can provide some links? But honestly, I'm guessing you have no idea what you're talking about on this issue because you don't have one and just heard fixed pulley and started getting scared. But so that everyone's clear.

A fixed pulley will grenade your engine if you have 0 cooling and run it with the resistor/clutch locked and decide to not monitor your IATs. There is a risk, but in comparison it's far less risky then getting a clutched pulley and having it grenade while on a run and ripping your engine components apart. I mean the only reason I brought it up is because I know it works, I run one. It has no failure points (solid piece of metal) and the only way it will hurt you is if your IATs get over 230*.

And for that to happen your IC pump either has to die or you have to be hammering your car in extreme heat repeatedly. And finally, you have to be foolish enough to know these things and ignore them.

Exhibit A, my intercooler pump died this past fall and wasn't flowing while I had my 80mm Fixed pulley, I was using just the factory heat exchanger, and this was while I was commuting home from DC in stop and go traffic for an hour. And my engine STILL DIDN'T BLOW UP! Stop acting like these pulleys are deadly. They're awesome, why they hell do you think no other supercharged vehicles have a clutch?